Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv to be raising prices - thanks Dennis!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 01:35 PM

Thanks to Dennis who first posted this in the Dish Network discussion. It looks like Directv will be following suit by also giving us a price increase:

http://biz.yahoo.com...es_latam_1.html

The last paragraph says that Total Choice w/locals will be around $39. I'm guessing it will go from $37.99 to $39.99. I don't know about TC+, TC Premier, etc. The article doesn't say anything about those packages.

When Directv restructured the packages last year, those of us with Total Choice w/locals and the Family Pack actually had a price decrease of $4 when it became Total Choice Plus w/locals, so I guess we can't complain too loudly. In my area, it is still cheaper than digital cable by about $5 per month for a comparable package.

I guess it was destined to happen :(
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   platinum

platinum

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 334 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 01:40 PM

I've had D* since 95 and had only one increase so i'm not going to complain.
D* Since 95

#3 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 03:05 PM

Price increases by both D* and E* are really caused more by the rate increases popular content providers are charging. D/E have not really been in the position to raise prices just to make more money, they have to compete with cable. Now that cable ratings are passing network TV, expect them to be charging more and more and more.

#4 OFFLINE   raj2001

raj2001

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 05:37 PM

Oh well, at least they're still cheaper than cable for basic packages.

#5 OFFLINE   platinum

platinum

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 334 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 05:50 PM

And D* has the YES network
D* Since 95

#6 OFFLINE   CARL O.

CARL O.

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 06:22 PM

Well after the merger failed, Echostar had to pay Hugeh 600 million $, so naturally E* would raise their rates.But why would DTV? Hope they add more chn's.

#7 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 15 January 2003 - 06:26 PM

no complaints here, don't need any new channels either.

#8 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,726 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 07:44 PM

From what has been posted over at DBS Forums the rumor has it that Total Choice will go to 38.99......up a buck.....Total Choice w/Locals...to 41.99..... up 2 bucks....and a POSSIBLE bundling of some packs again...Like Total Choice + Locals+HBO for 50.99....dollar decrease.....Supposedly Total Choice Premier will stay at 81.99...no increase....we will just have to wait and see.....Ive been with them since 95 as well...no way in hell would I consider a switch...Ive been very happy with Directv
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#9 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 08:20 PM

Bundiling up the packages Agian would make sense
totalchoice/hbo/starz $50 a month sounds cool If i could have it my way
Mike
http://www.myspace.com/wnnnnnnnbc

xm sub as of/12/31/05

howard stern on xm channels 100-101 :)

#10 OFFLINE   raj2001

raj2001

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 12:13 PM

Originally posted by CARL O.
Well after the merger failed, Echostar had to pay Hugeh 600 million $, so naturally E* would raise their rates.But why would DTV? Hope they add more chn's.

The whole reason they had this merger proposal was because DTV is struggling financially. Now they're looking at ways to cut costs and boost revenue.

In that article they also said that DTVLA was going to file for bankruptcy soon. I personally think that DTVLA will go under, mainly because Latin American and Caribbean cable companies offer much better packages and pricing, and local channels, which DTVLA does not. C-Band systems are also very popular. Their main marketing pitch there has been picture quality (it's better than USA DTV) and accessibility from rural areas.

#11 OFFLINE   catman

catman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 09:16 AM

The reason for the rate increase is . Your networks like lifetime , usa all want MORE money . They get money from ads . That's not enough . They need more . Cut out the commerials and a show would run 2 hours not , 3 hours as it is now .

#12 OFFLINE   raj2001

raj2001

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 09:26 AM

Originally posted by catman
The reason for the rate increase is . Your networks like lifetime , usa all want MORE money . They get money from ads . That's not enough . They need more . Cut out the commerials and a show would run 2 hours not , 3 hours as it is now .

I wonder if DirecTV can offer a package without Lifetime and charge me the old price or less? I usually block out Lifetime because it's feminist and sexist and always portrays men as being the scum of the earth.

#13 OFFLINE   Brett

Brett

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 09:27 AM

Originally posted by DCSholtis
From what has been posted over at DBS Forums the rumor has it that Total Choice will go to 38.99......up a buck.....Total Choice w/Locals...to 41.99..... up 2 bucks....and a POSSIBLE bundling of some packs again...Like Total Choice + Locals+HBO for 50.99....dollar decrease.....Supposedly Total Choice Premier will stay at 81.99...no increase....we will just have to wait and see.....Ive been with them since 95 as well...no way in hell would I consider a switch...Ive been very happy with Directv

Total Choice is currently $31.99. I dont think it will go to $38.99.

Do you mean Total Choice with locals?

I just hope they keep Total Choice Plus with locals at $39.99 or if they need to price increase it, not more than a $1.

#14 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 11:12 AM

The $38.99 price was a bundled price with locals included. Is $38.99 the old price or the new price? I figure they would make it $39.99 to make it an even price.

#15 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,726 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 12:29 PM

Sorry I meant Total Choice Plus without locals.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

spam firewall