Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP622 stuck in endless auto-reboot cycle

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:38 PM

Well I'll tell ya this does not give me much hope....my first 622 worked for about 24 hours then into auto reboot madness. Replacement did slightly better, lasted about a week...then into slightly different reboot cycle saying something about a smart card in an error message on the screen. Tech is coming tomorrow and it sounds to me like he is already set to call it a problem with the wiring in my brand new house, which by the way is wired with the R6 that Dish recommends I believe. So, tell me this, how in the world can they tell me that it is my house when the previous DVR was working beautifully for 6 months, and the problem only develped with the new reveiver?? Has anyone had any luck getting out of their contract and going to a different provider??? Seems like a bunch of bunk that they can just say oh its your wiring when their other boxes work just fine...I know this is a stretch for Dish but common sense tells me its an issue with the box. I did have some cheap coax, I think it was R59U?? Would that cause a problem?? Also are these "grounding" issues easily resolved??? Lastly why would the 622 be more susceptible to these issues than the other DVR's?? thanks in advance!! '94

THe issue is Dish knows it happens but is clueless as to why it happens and so they only have a couple of options, pretend it doesn't exist and blame the customer by coming up with completely bogus "reasons" why its his fault. Or replace the box and hope it magically goes away.

Of course what they should do is take all the returned boxes and do a study of what is going on and patch the software or roll back to before 4.49 when it didn't happen (or not nearly as much).

Of course that would make sense, so its likely the blame and delay and replacement spiral will continue for the foreseeable future.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:53 PM

New unit worked for 2 weeks, now in reboot cycle. This is getting ridiculous. DIsh has got to address this problem permanently and not just keep crossing their fingers and sending us replacement boxes. That is unacceptable. Strangely enough, that is exactly the same amount of time my other box, which worked perfectly for 6 months prior to L4.49 worked before it started the endless reboot cycle. New box worked fine for two weeks, now in reboot cycle. So something is going on here and its related to L4.49, why don't they just roll it back or allow a rollback or something or hey here is an idea. Fix the problem!!!

I have about had it. I am on the verge of switching to another provider that can give me a working box.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#28 OFFLINE   AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie

Icon

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:44 AM

New unit worked for 2 weeks, now in reboot cycle. This is getting ridiculous. DIsh has got to address this problem permanently and not just keep crossing their fingers and sending us replacement boxes. That is unacceptable. Strangely enough, that is exactly the same amount of time my other box, which worked perfectly for 6 months prior to L4.49 worked before it started the endless reboot cycle. New box worked fine for two weeks, now in reboot cycle. So something is going on here and its related to L4.49, why don't they just roll it back or allow a rollback or something or hey here is an idea. Fix the problem!!!

I have about had it. I am on the verge of switching to another provider that can give me a working box.

I too have been going through hell since this update landed, fortunately though only one of my two 622s has been truely toasted by L4.49 – but that's plenty bad enough.

For what it's worth, last night a CSR told me that they have received so many complaints on L4.49 that they are strongly considering a roll-back – I can recall something as drastic as a full roll-back happening only once before.

John

Two ViP622s - DPP-44 - Three Dish500s: #1 (110°/119° - Twin), #2 (61.5° - Dual), #3 (129° - Dual)

#29 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:18 PM

Yes.. Rollback are something not to be considered lightly. You can go from a bad situation to a worse situation doing a rollback since that scenario is usually not tested at all.

I am going to have to go back and take a read of the posts on this again.... AVJohnnie.. have you tried to disconnect your EHD and see if the box stabilizes. Something worth trying.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#30 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:41 PM

Yes.. Rollback are something not to be considered lightly. You can go from a bad situation to a worse situation doing a rollback since that scenario is usually not tested at all.

I am going to have to go back and take a read of the posts on this again.... AVJohnnie.. have you tried to disconnect your EHD and see if the box stabilizes. Something worth trying.

I know I tried that, and it made no difference. And then of course when I did plug it back in and the machine accidently did reboot correctly once for about 10 minutes, it didn't authorize the EHD.

An email contact at echostar has arranged a replacement in the form of a 722, so we'll see if that does any better. I would bet everything though that something was introduced in L4.49 that created this problem, but it is something that doesn't happen right away, might be related to timers or recordings or something, but why would it stick a box in a reboot cycle, my programming knowledge tells me that it might be a hard drive failure on an important boot sector that doesn't allow the system to load the software at all when it tries to. Whatever its frustrating and needs to be A1 priority for Dish.

#31 OFFLINE   AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie

Icon

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for the reply Ron -- Yes, the CSR had me try that as well.

It's starting to look more and more like a replacement receiver will be the next step -- If so, I hope it will be a good one. Been seeing way too many reports of bad refurbs being sent out.

When I mentioned in another thread about getting a 122 error, one poster seemed to think that it indicated some sort of hardware defect developing in the receiver. I guess time will tell. So far it's still broken and the clock is ticking -- I mention this now only because the CSR told me to give it 48 hours for the engineering staff to attempt some sort of remote fix. I had no idea they could do that sort of thing.

John

Two ViP622s - DPP-44 - Three Dish500s: #1 (110°/119° - Twin), #2 (61.5° - Dual), #3 (129° - Dual)

#32 OFFLINE   AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie

Icon

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:52 PM

I know I tried that, and it made no difference. And then of course when I did plug it back in and the machine accidently did reboot correctly once for about 10 minutes, it didn't authorize the EHD.

An email contact at echostar has arranged a replacement in the form of a 722, so we'll see if that does any better. I would bet everything though that something was introduced in L4.49 that created this problem, but it is something that doesn't happen right away, might be related to timers or recordings or something, but why would it stick a box in a reboot cycle, my programming knowledge tells me that it might be a hard drive failure on an important boot sector that doesn't allow the system to load the software at all when it tries to. Whatever its frustrating and needs to be A1 priority for Dish.

Ebaltz -- Just out of curiosity, did you happen to get a 122 error anywhere along your trail tears?

Also, it would be nice to think that they might be willing to swap me out with a new 722 rather than a refurbished 622 as well. Did this require speaking with the customer retension department? I'd kind of like to know what direction I need to be heading in at this point.

Thanks,

John

#33 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:23 PM

Ebaltz -- Just out of curiosity, did you happen to get a 122 error anywhere along your trail tears?

Also, it would be nice to think that they might be willing to swap me out with a new 722 rather than a refurbished 622 as well. Did this require speaking with the customer retension department? I'd kind of like to know what direction I need to be heading in at this point.

Thanks,

Nope never got any errors. Just working along fine and then BLIP reboot started an it never recovered, just kept rebooting, never even gets to the acquiring sat screen.

They are sending a replacement 722, so we'll see how that does. I've eliminated virtually ever other variable. I have a contact at echostar, who I first got in contact with after sending a ceo@echostar.com email. Try sending an email to that address listing your problem and steps and that you are thinking of switching and perhaps you could try a 722 to see if that resolves it.

#34 OFFLINE   pegazuz

pegazuz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:41 PM

Thanks,

I was told by one Dish person they only send out brand new units for new customer or during an upgrade. Other wise all replacements for defective units are refurbed units. There is reference in other threads that these refurbed units are often returned for same reason you want a replacement unit and the replacement unit may still have same problem or another problem that might be worse. It seems the refurbed units aren't throughly tested and repaired before being sent out again which might explain the high rate of defective machines and complaints about Dish equipment and service.

Ask if they are giving you a refurb unit or brand new one? The last Dish tech told me they only carry refurb units on their trucks. Brand new units are only mailed by Dish to new customers or ones buying an upgrade.

Right now I have two 722's that replaced defective units and they solved the problems so far. I had tried three 622's but they never got any to work very long if at all.

#35 OFFLINE   AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie

Icon

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:03 PM

I was told by one Dish person they only send out brand new units for new customer or during an upgrade. Other wise all replacements for defective units are refurbed units. There is reference in other threads that these refurbed units are often returned for same reason you want a replacement unit and the replacement unit may still have same problem or another problem that might be worse. It seems the refurbed units aren't throughly tested and repaired before being sent out again which might explain the high rate of defective machines and complaints about Dish equipment and service.

Ask if they are giving you a refurb unit or brand new one? The last Dish tech told me they only carry refurb units on their trucks. Brand new units are only mailed by Dish to new customers or ones buying an upgrade.

Right now I have two 722's that replaced defective units and they solved the problems so far. I had tried three 622's but they never got any to work very long if at all.

Since their engineers were somehow able to get my EHD on the problem 622 operational again, I'm happy to let sleeping dogs do their thing for now. And hopefully the next upgrade will address the other minor issues. But the EHD problem I was having was no minor issue and had they been unable to correct it I would have pushed to try and get a 722 but only to avoid the rash of so-so 622 refurbs that are being reported. Until now I've been very happy with both of my 622s -- I still am with my other 622 which continues to work just fine.

Thanks for the response,

John

#36 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:56 AM

Here's an interesting thing. My 3rd 622 went into the endless reboot cycle about two days ago, The reboots started faster and faster until all I got was a flickering green light and then nothing. Nothing for about 12-16 hours. Machine was on, nothing apparently happening. Then tonight at about midnight, the machine rebooted and came to life. It worked for about 40 minutes and then started the reboot cycle again. Its such a weird thing. Seems like with the boxes they get back they could run some diagnostics on them and figure out what the issue is. Could be a bad part and they could blame the part/drive/ram manufacturer or something.

Hopefully my new 722 will arrive tomorrow and put an end to all this nonsense.

#37 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,672 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:24 PM

I just hope what happened last night on my 8 month old 722 isn't indicative of something. See my post here .:confused:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#38 OFFLINE   rcpilotjae

rcpilotjae

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:24 AM

I haven't read the whole thread, but will tell you I had the same endless re-booting problem. It took 4 replacement 622's before I hit on one that works. So, I don't think it's a software problem. Something isn't right with one of the chips or circuits. Just my 2 cents.

But I found being nice on the phone gets you a replacement fast with no charge. Seems you can get results with more honey. Keep getting replacement units until one works flawlessly. This is what I did and finally got a good one. I know it's a PITA, but there's really no other choice. Good luck!
Too Soon Old, To Late Smart

#39 OFFLINE   dmaldo

dmaldo

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:43 PM

I am new to this forum and have only had the VIP622/Dish Network for 9 months. It appears everyone is having the same issues we are experiencing. First 4 - 5 months everything was great, then the rebooting issue started. Since that time, we have had approximately six new receivers, with another one on the way. I have discussed endlessly with tech support, had a service tech come out and just state "you need a new receiver" and left. I do not think as a consumer I should need to be an Engineer to trouble shoot the product. We are purchasing a service and the service is not being sold as advertised. We are again, sitting in a home with our large screen HD TV dark because we are without a receiver that works while another is being shipped. Not a happy customer but feel I have no recourse but to unpack the next one and keep my fingers crossed that it might work this time.

#40 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:10 PM

I just got my 1st 622 after having 10 921's and 1 942 over the course of 3 1/2 years.

Before installing the 622 I purchased an API UPS/power strip (only 40 bucks and change after a $19 discount at Circuit City). I know my A/C is lousy, I can see subtle flicker from time to time in my lights. That fluctuation cannot be good for the DVR.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this one will last longer than any of my previous DVR's.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#41 OFFLINE   radio_davio

radio_davio

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 06:05 PM

DEMAND a free upgrade to a 722!!! And hope for the best

#42 OFFLINE   kktk

kktk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:52 PM

Aaahh! many more of us having the same issues :)

Sounds like I am beating a dead horse--but I've had the same issue for the last 4 weeks now.

I've had my 622 for 11 months and it ran without an issue.
I did have it connected to a power surge suppressor.
The unit failed with a bad HDMI port(it took me 2 days to convince the tech on it).
They send me a replacement 5 days later. Worked for 3 days...then power cycling starts.

Once again, I complain...they promise to send one over night. I land up taking the day off to be home. It shows up 4 days later in UPS ground. Lasts 2 days....then power cycling starts again. I buy an EHD to get my programs off of it---but the receiver never comes back up for me to do that.

I call--bi$ch like crazy...they promise another overnighter....same ****. UPS ground 5 days later. This one starts up. I call to activate--their systems are down! I call the next day....power cycling starts again.

Then they finally give me the BS about how they are taking care of me by
1. Crediting me for the 3 weeks of loss of service.
2. Sending a tech out after 4 weeks of issues.

Boy--was I mad!
Now a tech is coming on sunday with a new 722.

I got a months' credit to my account.
Free external hard drive activation.
Free 722 and no long term contract.

I still wish I got a receiver that works instead of all this hassle.
DISH talks a lot of BS and really doesn't care about you(us).

I will fill you in with what the tech finds this weekend.

#43 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:22 PM

"I got a months' credit to my account.
Free external hard drive activation.
Free 722 and no long term contract."

DISH talks a lot of BS and really doesn't care about you(us).

Sorry you had trouble, but the above quote kind of disputes your latter statement. It sounds like they cared enough to rectify the problem with some perks thrown in. :confused:
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#44 OFFLINE   kktk

kktk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:16 PM

Sorry you had trouble, but the above quote kind of disputes your latter statement. It sounds like they cared enough to rectify the problem with some perks thrown in. :confused:

Well depends on how you look at it.

I didnt ask or want a free upgrade.
I didnt ask or want a free EHD option.
I didnt ask or want a no contract agreement.

What I did want was a 622 and no interruption in my service.
what I did expect was a credit to my account for the loss of service.

Both of these I had to fight for to get.

Moreover, dish made it sound like they are doing me a favor my crediting me for the loss of service and sending a tech out!

Its not even just this....even prior conversations with them have always resulted in some haggling over fees, subscriptions, offers. Not exactly high on the customer service aspect of it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...