Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New DirecTV System Help?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JPWeight

JPWeight

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 11:14 AM

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">I'm looking for a two room DirecTV system and need some help.  The requirements I'm looking for are the Para Todos dish, so I can receive channels that aren't available with the standard dish.  I will not be using it for HD at this time.  I would also like one Dolby Digital receiver for my home theater room, and one standard receiver for my bedroom.  I don't have any interest in Tivo.
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"> 
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Since I am new to satallite, I need help in choosing the correct equipment (receivers) and dealer.  Any advice is appreciated.
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Thanks for your help!
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"> <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

JP

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   beegfoot

beegfoot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 01:01 PM

JP, I recommend checking your yellow pages, and find a good local dealer that will know how to meet your DTV needs.

The newer 3 satellite dish is a little cheaper than the older style, so I'd go for it. The Hughes GCEB0 for the main unit, and a GAEB0A for the second receiver will meet your needs. And take a second look at the TIVO. I love mine!

#3 OFFLINE   raj2001

raj2001

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 02:00 PM

whoa

Easy on the HTML there ;)

Anyway, when I wanted DirecTV I went to Circuit City and I got a good deal - $150 for a 2 room system with dolby digital. I got two $50 rebates - one from CC and a $50 credit from DirecTV. SO my total bill came out to $50. I later on got two TiVo's, and a UTV that was on closeout for $50 (not in that order). I eventually broke even on the cost of my equipment since I sold the UTV on eBay after it broke down and I got a RMA unit. The bottom line is that you usually get the equipment for free or cheap, except for PVR's, as they want to get you locked in for a year, regardless of who you buy from.

Online retailers can give you better prices on equipment but they have no physical presence locally in your neighborhood. This means you'll have to pay shipping (in addition to any restocking fees) for returns in case you change your mind. YMMV.

Ordering from DirecTV is fine too, but you usually don't get to choose a brand of receiver, and they tend to give you the cheapest one (RCA, Samsung, Philips). I also think they don't sell Dolby receivers unless it's a PVR.

#4 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 05:11 PM

You just THINK you don't have any interest in a DirecTiVo ;)

Mark my words, use one for a month and you'll never watch TV without TiVo again.
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#5 OFFLINE   raj2001

raj2001

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 10:51 PM

Originally posted by spanishannouncetable
You just THINK you don't have any interest in a DirecTiVo ;)

Mark my words, use one for a month and you'll never watch TV without TiVo again.

I used to think the StarSight on my DRD450RG and my VCR was good enough... Boy was I wrong!!!

#6 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 11:20 PM

It drives me nuts to watch tv in my den as I have a standard Mitsubishi receiver (no PVR). I try to sell people on the ideal of a PVR and all Iget is a glassy-eye stare and the usual, I'll just use my VCR. Ugh!

I get calls from my father-in-law every time he wants to recrod something off Dish Network. The usual conversation goes like - No, your VCR needs to be on channel 3 and your receiver needs to be set to the station. No - don't change the channel on the VCR. If he'd just get a PVR (Dish, Tivo, UTV, whatever) his life would be so much less complex. They just don't get it.

Anyway, I have a standard Mitsubishi (made by Hughes) and a standard RCA (relegated to my daughter's room) and both have their pros and cons. I would recommend trying out as many as you can and make your decision for yourself. My wife liked the RCA interface and remote (before I bought the PVR's) and I preferred the Mitsubishi. It is all personal preference.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

spam firewall