Welcome to DBSTalk
- Start new topics and reply to others
- Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
- Get your own profile page and make new friends
- Send personal messages to other members.
Absolutely essential software..
Posted 16 January 2003 - 03:59 PM
Can be free or shareware or commercial, but they should be essential and something you want on your computer seconds after you boot into your OS for the first time.
A couple of mine are:
1. IrfanView for viewing images
2. Callwave internet answering machine
Posted 16 January 2003 - 04:36 PM
2) Some form of backup program To Tape or CD-RW/DVD-RW (Seagate Backup or Ghost)
3) Firewall SW (if have a firewall router and only at home ok, but if travel absolutley)
4) A WinZip/PKZip type program.
Can't think of anything else, Perhaps a Norton Utilties type program for repair, but many utils now included in OS
Posted 16 January 2003 - 04:43 PM
I used to put in TimeRC to set the clock under Windows through the Internet, but Windows XP has basically included a time setting utility.
For terminal programs, I install TeraTerm Pro. Not only is it a telnet client, but it also allows you to communicate through a COM port..... handy when setting up equipment. I also use PuTTY, which is a freeware Telnet client that includes SSHv2 support.
WinAmp is a definate must, as it plays all sorts of music formats. Kinda better than Windows Media Player, but I haven't played around much with WMP9.
Adobe Acrobat is also a definate must, as it is a de-facto standard in reading on-line documents.
I've also replaced the standard Notepad program with a better freeware program called NotePad Plus, which has more functionality and allows me to have several text files open at once.
Check out my list of links.
Posted 16 January 2003 - 05:06 PM
Posted 16 January 2003 - 07:50 PM
Voyetra Turtle Beach AudioStation
Posted 16 January 2003 - 09:00 PM
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!
Posted 16 January 2003 - 09:34 PM
Use pkzip/pkunzip or get Windows XP?