Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Absolutely essential software..

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 03:59 PM

I was wondering what software you folks install as must-have's when you get a new system....I'm not talking about massive, specialized software packages that are great (Photoshop), but programs every single person should have on their machine. Programs that when you see a computer without it you just say to the owner---you fool! ;)

Can be free or shareware or commercial, but they should be essential and something you want on your computer seconds after you boot into your OS for the first time.

A couple of mine are:
1. IrfanView for viewing images
2. Callwave internet answering machine
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 04:36 PM

1) Anti-Virus (with active subscription) should be on every PC.

2) Some form of backup program To Tape or CD-RW/DVD-RW (Seagate Backup or Ghost)

3) Firewall SW (if have a firewall router and only at home ok, but if travel absolutley)

4) A WinZip/PKZip type program.

Can't think of anything else, Perhaps a Norton Utilties type program for repair, but many utils now included in OS
4900 on a SA TiVo and a 508

#3 ONLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,887 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 16 January 2003 - 04:43 PM

It varies. I usually end up putting in TweakUI or a variant thereof just to remove the "Shortcut To" and that silly arrow.

I used to put in TimeRC to set the clock under Windows through the Internet, but Windows XP has basically included a time setting utility.

For terminal programs, I install TeraTerm Pro. Not only is it a telnet client, but it also allows you to communicate through a COM port..... handy when setting up equipment. I also use PuTTY, which is a freeware Telnet client that includes SSHv2 support.

WinAmp is a definate must, as it plays all sorts of music formats. Kinda better than Windows Media Player, but I haven't played around much with WMP9.

Adobe Acrobat is also a definate must, as it is a de-facto standard in reading on-line documents.

I've also replaced the standard Notepad program with a better freeware program called NotePad Plus, which has more functionality and allows me to have several text files open at once.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#4 OFFLINE   Timco

Timco

Woof!

• Gold Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 05:06 PM

WinZip - I don't know how to survive without it...

#5 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 07:50 PM

GIMP
Mozilla
Voyetra Turtle Beach AudioStation
OpenOffice.org

#6 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 09:00 PM

MS Office XP Pro
Dreamweaver MX
Kazaa Lite
NAV
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#7 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 09:34 PM

"WinZip - I don't know how to survive without it."

Use pkzip/pkunzip or get Windows XP?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...