Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HDVR2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark

Mark

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 10:47 PM

Hi Guys,

So I am looking into the HDVR2 and see USB ports on the back. What can I do with them?? Will it plug in to my DSL? Any new stuff in the making??:shrug: :confused:
Hike high mountains,
Fish for wild trout.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   timf

timf

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 02:38 PM

They don't do anything for now. They are simply for "future enhancements". It remains to be seen what DIRECTV will offer and when they will offer it.

#3 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 03:55 PM

Has anyone tried a USB keyboard with one yet? A USB keyboard works with Ultimatetv and the Dish PVR 721.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#4 OFFLINE   raj2001

raj2001

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 04:07 PM

I don't think a USB keyboard would work on the back USB ports.

At present, the USB ports do nothing. Very soon, however, you will be able to access pictures and MP3's from your PC via your home LAN through the USB ports, as well as possibly share recorded shows between units. There will be a one time "upgrade" charge to download software to enable the USB ports. No one but TiVo is sure what will be done with those ports but this is what I have gathered from their press releases. On standalone TiVo's, the USB ports also enable you to do the daily call through broadband internet instead of through the phone line using a USB to Ethernet dongle.

The USB to Ethernet dongle does NOT work on the HDVR2, presumably because DTV doesn't want people cutting their phone lines from the receiver, because it's also used for DIRECTV calls. Ironically enough, you can put an ethernet card in a series 1 DirecTiVo and it will be able to do the daily calls via broadband without any software modification.

You should check TiVoCommunity.com as there is lots more info on TiVo there, and TiVo staff frequently post in that forum. There are quite a few threads there about the USB on Series2 TiVo's.

#5 OFFLINE   Eyedox

Eyedox

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 06:56 PM

The USB port on the back of the unit is for hooking up a soon-to-be-released peripheral exclusive to DirecTV called the OLFACTORY MODULE ... it gives you SMELL-AROUND SOUND! :D

#6 OFFLINE   Mark

Mark

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 07:19 PM

I have another question. If I upgrade the hard drive do I void the warranty
Hike high mountains,
Fish for wild trout.

#7 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 07:33 PM

There has been some discussion about possible use of the USB ports at the Tivo Community Forums
Bill R

spam firewall