Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Wall Street Eyes DirecTV's 2003

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 04:37 AM

Those on Wall Street had different opinions on Hughes' fourth quarter and year-end results released earlier in the week.

Armand Musey, satellite analyst with Salomon Smith Barney, said Hughes completed 2002 "with some of the wind knocked out of DirecTV’s sails, but managed to deliver on most of its financial targets."

Hughes' DirecTV unit ended 2002 with growth (975,000 net additions) that was lower than management was forecasting earlier in the year (1 million to 1.2 million net adds), "which we believe reflects its failure to see the significance of allowing (EchoStar's) DISH to break into its formerly exclusive distribution channels," Musey said.

The most striking item to come out of Hughes’ conference call Wednesday was its outlook for 700,000 to 800,00 net additions for DirecTV in 2003, Musey said. "We acknowledge DirecTV has been hit hard by DISH Network’s entry into its distribution channels," he said. "However, we still believe DirecTV will capture a larger share" in 2003 and 2004, he said.

Another analyst, William Kidd of Lehman Brothers, said DirecTV's forecasted 2003 ARPU (average revenue per subscriber) growth appeared anemic at 1 percent. SAC (subscriber acquisition cost) is projected to rise 8 percent to 9 percent. And subscriber growth - at the gross level - also is expected to be flat to down year-over-year, he said.

"In some respects we are sympathetic to the company's plight," Kidd said. "We do not fault them for the increase in SAC, as it's terribly important that DBS operators remain competitive with cable, and increasingly that DirecTV remain competitive with EchoStar."

In order to achieve that competitiveness, money must be spent, Kidd said. That has been the trend in the business for several years, but 2003 may be unique in that it could the first time DirecTV's gross additions could be down despite of an increase in SAC.

"It's counterintuitive and altogether disconcerting that DirecTV finds itself in a position of having to hang more bait on the lure in the pond of prospective subscribers, but expects to catch less than it did," Kidd said.

From SkyReport (Used with Permission)
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Ronmort

Ronmort

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 05:41 AM

What was exclusive to Directv? The only channels I can think of are the PPV channels which carry the NHL Center Ice and NBA League Pass? Am I missing something?

#3 OFFLINE   raj2001

raj2001

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 09:28 AM

Originally posted by Ronmort
What was exclusive to Directv? The only channels I can think of are the PPV channels which carry the NHL Center Ice and NBA League Pass? Am I missing something?

No, they meant distribution channels, not programming - i.e. Radioshack, Wal-Mart.

#4 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 11:09 AM

But Dish Network will also experience more churn because of their choice in where to sell the systems but still gain more subs. Piracy will also increase as a result just as it did with DirecTv when they went to these outlets.

#5 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 01:00 PM

Originally posted by Ronmort

I know they meant distribution channels, but the big exclusives on Directv are NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings. Most other programming is duplicated by both services.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

Protected By... spam firewall...And...