Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Super Crop Bug: List of Affected TVs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
210 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   llowrey

llowrey

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:17 PM

Samsung HL-T5675S, SCB on both HDMI and component. HR20-100 0x18A & SCB seen on all releases.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:40 PM

Alright! A -100!!! Posted Image Posted Image. I don't mean "alright" you have a problem of course. Just more feedback. :)
- Andy
My Setup - (Computer Setup Included)
HR20-700 - / - / H20-100 -
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE<-- to DBSTalk.com and become a DBSTalk Club Member!

#53 OFFLINE   69hokie

69hokie

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:46 PM

Stuart, I actually mean disconnecting the cables as soon as the bug appears, seeing if the act of disconnecting and reconnecting has any affect on the bug at all.

I had the bug again last night while watching a previously recorded SD movie using the HDMI feed to my Samsung with the HR20 format set at 1080i crop (where I normally have format set). I paused the movie (dog wanted to go outside), and it paused, blinked, and there was the super crop bug paused on screen. I came back a few minutes later and it had gone back to normal while it was paused...weird. I continued the movie, later paused it again, normal picture, when I started the movie again it went into super crop. I went to my HDMI switch and changed to another feed to the Samsung, effectively cutting off the HR20 from feeding the television. When I went back, it took a second or two for the HDMI handshake, and when the pictue came back it was still in supercrop. I didn't physically disconnect the HDMI cable, but electronically I believe it was an open circuit. Through the evening I experienced supercrop in and out via the pause and when I played with format. It finally hung in supercrop and I reset the receiver to rid myself of the pest at least for now. I am convinced the bug is in the HR20...it looks too much like a vertical version of the normally horizontal 480 stretch, 720 stretch, and 1080 stretch....is always keyed by a call for format change or trick play....and has never been triggered by any television change of format or other televison operation.
Wayne
Go Virginia Tech....and "Hoo"ever is playing UVa!

My Setup

#54 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,190 posts
  • LocationFort Pierce, FL

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:57 PM

When I went back, it took a second or two for the HDMI handshake, and when the pictue came back it was still in supercrop. I didn't physically disconnect the HDMI cable, but electronically I believe it was an open circuit.

My theory is still based on the fact that the HR20 has all outputs always on. So even though you went to a different source, the handshake was still active. By disconnecting the cable it would tell the HR there is nothing there to talk to.

#55 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,984 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:04 PM

Stuart, I actually mean disconnecting the cables as soon as the bug appears, seeing if the act of disconnecting and reconnecting has any affect on the bug at all.

I'm not opposed to doing that, let me see when it rears its ugly head, if I can do that.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#56 OFFLINE   69hokie

69hokie

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:08 PM

My theory is still based on the fact that the HR20 has all outputs always on. So even though you went to a different source, the handshake was still active. By disconnecting the cable it would tell the HR there is nothing there to talk to.

What I did was change the switch to a different source input to the television via the single HDMI cable connected to the television, selecting in this case my dvr, which was of course off. When this was done, the HDMI feed from the HR20 was effectively disconnected internally in the switch and was feeding nothing. The switch only has one output with three selectable inputs. Unless I am off base, the HR20 cannot maintain a handshake with the television unless it is connected through the switch to the television which it was not when I operated the switch to another input source (the dvd player in this case). Of course...I have been know to be wrong on occasion.
Wayne

My Setup

#57 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,190 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:09 PM

I went to my HDMI switch and changed to another feed to the Samsung,

I may have misread your post. You have a physical switch for routing HDMI paths? Or is it an electronic receiver/switch of some sort?

#58 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,190 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:11 PM

What I did was change the switch to a different source input to the television, in this case my dvr, which was of course off. When this was done, the HDMI feed from the HR20 was effectively disconnected internally in the switch and was feeding nothing. The switch only has one output with three selectable inputs. Unless I am off base, the HR20 cannot maintain a handshake with the television unless it is connected through the switch to the television which it was not when I operated the switch to another input source. Of course...I have been know to be wrong on occasion.

Ok, we were writing at the same time. Is the switch powered at all?

#59 OFFLINE   69hokie

69hokie

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:17 PM

Ok, we were writing at the same time. Is the switch powered at all?

Yes, but for purposes of a remote....it would seem doubtful to me that the switch power would maintain in effect three different handshakes with the television at once but anything is possible. I would have physically disconnected the cable, but at the time the switch seemed a good idea. I really doubt the connection or disconnection of HDMI has any affect at all on this bug...cause or cure.
Wayne

My Setup

#60 OFFLINE   69hokie

69hokie

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:34 PM

Has anyone with multiple HR20's swapped them in their home to verify the bug follows the HR20?
Wayne

My Setup

#61 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,671 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:38 PM

Samsung HL-R4667W
Don't recall what channels, just know I have had SCB

#62 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,984 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:48 PM

Has anyone with multiple HR20's swapped them in their home to verify the bug follows the HR20?

Both my HR20s have the bug :(

#63 OFFLINE   HD AV

HD AV

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:52 PM

I have an opposite problem with crop on 19E. I watch all of my SD in crop and I noticed that it goes into wide mode! If I switch from pillar box to crop it acts as if it skips crop. I have to switch many times, pausing on pillar box, to finally get it to hold on crop. Sometimes it will hold until I change channels, other times it just all of a sudden goes into wide mode. Weird. I had the supercrop bug prior to 19 but after 190 I started getting this wide problem.
Slimline Dish
LR - Sony 60" XBR2 SXRD
HR20-700
5.1 DD w/Pro. JBL Studio Reference Monitors
2 Velodine SPL 1200s
BR - H20-600
Sony KDL-40S2010
Yamaha Stereo Amp
Bose 901s

#64 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,190 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:53 PM

I have an opposite problem with crop on 19E. I watch all of my SD in crop and I noticed that it goes into wide mode! If I switch from pillar box to crop it acts as if it skips crop. I have to switch many times, pausing on pillar box, to finally get it to hold on crop. Sometimes it will hold until I change channels, other times it just all of a sudden goes into wide mode. Weird. I had the supercrop bug prior to 19 but after 190 I started getting this wide problem.

Sounds like you have another bug called keybounce.

#65 OFFLINE   CPanther95

CPanther95

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:10 PM

Pioneer 6070HD with HR20-700

#66 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 06:21 PM

Watch this video and you'll see exactly what we're talking about:

YouTube access it blocked at work, so I just saw this.

I don't believe I have this problem, but I always watch in stretch mode.

#67 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 05:03 AM

Samsung HL-R4667W
Don't recall what channels, just know I have had SCB

Thank you! Added - You running Component or HDMI?
- Andy

#68 OFFLINE   dnelms

dnelms

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 05:25 AM

You can add the Philips 42PFL5332D/37 to the mix. Using HDMI (HR20-700 W/ 0x18a software)

#69 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 05:31 AM

Sorry, that Mit 37132 + HR20-700 is also HDMI
Stew in Florida

HR21-100 (eSATA: Seagate Barracuda 750gb/Antec MX-1), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Onkyo A/V (optical), Slingbox Pro/WLI-TX4-G54HP
HR20-700 (eSATA: FreeAgent Pro 750gb), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Pioneer A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi LT-37132 (HDMI), Sony A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi WD-65731 (HDMI)
H20-600 (x 2)

#70 OFFLINE   pluker25

pluker25

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 05:41 AM

Has anyone mentioned whether any of the tvs in question have automatic aspect modes and whether they are on or off? Couldn't this account for why two identical models might behave differently? I know with HDMI on a Hitachi projection LCD that if auto aspect is on it does some strange things depending on what format I choose with an H20. I haven't even tried to make sense of what it is doing. I just turn auto aspect off and I don't have any problems. In reality how many tvs have an auto aspect mode?

#71 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,984 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:26 AM

My Philips has an auto aspect mode and the Super Crop bug looks exactly the same with it on and off. My Insignia does not have an auto aspect mode.

#72 OFFLINE   raramaker

raramaker

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:03 AM

Samsung LN-S4051. Connected to an HR20-700 via HDMI.

Seen the SCB on letterbox shows - Stargate Atlantis on SciFi and Chuck on the non-HD local NBC channel carried over satellite.

Russ

#73 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:19 AM

Excellent ideas, keep up the good work. We've got a great list started here. Thanks for the PMs and different ideas. :up:
- Andy

#74 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,984 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:46 AM

I think we've proven it's not the TV, and even if it is, there are enough different TVs affected, and no other receiver or DVD player has this bug (other than DIRECTV receivers), that we should feel like we deserve a fix from DIRECTV!

#75 OFFLINE   jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:58 AM

add Samsung LN3251D - This has been a problem for me since around December of 2006. I'd have to go back and look at my posts, but it was after one of the CEs then that I started seeing this. Prior to that - I didn't have the problem.
JayW
- - - - - -
Please vote for this application

Samsung LCD
Stand Alone TiVo Premeire
and a TON of HD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...