Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Super Crop Bug: List of Affected TVs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
210 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:26 AM

I don't know, but I hope it's because they are trying to fix it, and sometimes to make an omelet, as they say...
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:27 AM

Have any of us actually tried disconnecting the HDMI or component cables when the SCB pops up? Worth seeing if disconnecting and reconnecting the inputs to the TV has any affect at all. I'll definitely try it the next time I see it.

Yes, I did this and saw the bug on my slingbox.

#43 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:29 AM

I don't know, but I hope it's because they are trying to fix it, and sometimes to make an omelet, as they say...

Good point! I kept thinking they haven't started fixing it yet and it was just getting worse on it's own. You're probably right, they're trying stuff. In a backwards way - they might be on to something as it's gotten worse. That could indicate they have an idea as to what it may be and now just need to go in the other direction. :)

Updated Post #2 with more TVs and some new links to the ones that do and DON'T have the SCB.
- Andy
My Setup - (Computer Setup Included)
HR20-700 - / - / H20-100 -
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE<-- to DBSTalk.com and become a DBSTalk Club Member!

#44 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:29 AM

Another question - why does it seem to be getting worse/happening more often? I'm hearing more and more that even Resets aren't working as they used to.

I think as more shows are being filmed in HD but shown in 4x3 letterbox in SD more people are using the feature and seeing the problem.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#45 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 09:01 AM

Yes, I did this and saw the bug on my slingbox.

Stuart, I actually mean disconnecting the cables as soon as the bug appears, seeing if the act of disconnecting and reconnecting has any affect on the bug at all.
Receivers: HR20-700, H20-600, H21-200, D12-300, RCA DRD486
Dish: AT9 | Multiswitch: WB68
TV: Sony KDF50WE655

My Setup

Author of CE Slinger

#46 OFFLINE   Tbettini

Tbettini

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 09:36 AM

I get super crop on my Sharp Aquos as well LC32D62U

#47 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 09:41 AM

Sometimes Crop works.

Most of the time it doesn't. Acutally, its rare to have it work but I have seen it.

I've had the HR20 since 02feb07 and this has been a problem in all the software versions I've had since then. Only NR, no CE.

I use component now but did use hdmi and crop doesn't work in either.

HR20-700 0x18a
Magnavox 42" plasma 42MF231D/37 via component

Mike

Whenever I go to crop, it's like a zoom-in, where the outer edges get chopped off. Is this what you all mean? I've got a 5-year-old 53" Hitachi rear projection TV with HR20-700, 0x18a connected via component. (No HDMI on TV).

I never use crop anyway, just stretch.

#48 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 09:57 AM

Whenever I go to crop, it's like a zoom-in, where the outer edges get chopped off. Is this what you all mean?

Watch this video and you'll see exactly what we're talking about:

Receivers: HR20-700, H20-600, H21-200, D12-300, RCA DRD486
Dish: AT9 | Multiswitch: WB68
TV: Sony KDF50WE655

My Setup

Author of CE Slinger

#49 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 11:13 AM

I think as more shows are being filmed in HD but shown in 4x3 letterbox in SD more people are using the feature and seeing the problem.

I like this. Maybe somewhere within the change from HD to SD we're seeing the issue. It almost makes sense as to some of the content I downloaded via VOD that I know was only SD I was not able to re-create this issue.

Very good thought davring!
- Andy

#50 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 11:16 AM

I almost want to say we've debunked that it's the TV's fault - sort of. Somewhere within the programming they've left something in that "hints" at our TVs to stretch it out... We could say that we need to rely on the HR20 to "filter" this code out to stop telling our TVs to make the SCB.
- Andy

#51 OFFLINE   llowrey

llowrey

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:17 PM

Samsung HL-T5675S, SCB on both HDMI and component. HR20-100 0x18A & SCB seen on all releases.

#52 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:40 PM

Alright! A -100!!! Posted Image Posted Image. I don't mean "alright" you have a problem of course. Just more feedback. :)
- Andy

#53 OFFLINE   69hokie

69hokie

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:46 PM

Stuart, I actually mean disconnecting the cables as soon as the bug appears, seeing if the act of disconnecting and reconnecting has any affect on the bug at all.

I had the bug again last night while watching a previously recorded SD movie using the HDMI feed to my Samsung with the HR20 format set at 1080i crop (where I normally have format set). I paused the movie (dog wanted to go outside), and it paused, blinked, and there was the super crop bug paused on screen. I came back a few minutes later and it had gone back to normal while it was paused...weird. I continued the movie, later paused it again, normal picture, when I started the movie again it went into super crop. I went to my HDMI switch and changed to another feed to the Samsung, effectively cutting off the HR20 from feeding the television. When I went back, it took a second or two for the HDMI handshake, and when the pictue came back it was still in supercrop. I didn't physically disconnect the HDMI cable, but electronically I believe it was an open circuit. Through the evening I experienced supercrop in and out via the pause and when I played with format. It finally hung in supercrop and I reset the receiver to rid myself of the pest at least for now. I am convinced the bug is in the HR20...it looks too much like a vertical version of the normally horizontal 480 stretch, 720 stretch, and 1080 stretch....is always keyed by a call for format change or trick play....and has never been triggered by any television change of format or other televison operation.
Wayne
Go Virginia Tech....and "Hoo"ever is playing UVa!

My Setup

#54 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,883 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:57 PM

When I went back, it took a second or two for the HDMI handshake, and when the pictue came back it was still in supercrop. I didn't physically disconnect the HDMI cable, but electronically I believe it was an open circuit.

My theory is still based on the fact that the HR20 has all outputs always on. So even though you went to a different source, the handshake was still active. By disconnecting the cable it would tell the HR there is nothing there to talk to.

#55 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:04 PM

I'm not opposed to doing that, let me see when it rears its ugly head, if I can do that.

#56 OFFLINE   69hokie

69hokie

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:08 PM

My theory is still based on the fact that the HR20 has all outputs always on. So even though you went to a different source, the handshake was still active. By disconnecting the cable it would tell the HR there is nothing there to talk to.

What I did was change the switch to a different source input to the television via the single HDMI cable connected to the television, selecting in this case my dvr, which was of course off. When this was done, the HDMI feed from the HR20 was effectively disconnected internally in the switch and was feeding nothing. The switch only has one output with three selectable inputs. Unless I am off base, the HR20 cannot maintain a handshake with the television unless it is connected through the switch to the television which it was not when I operated the switch to another input source (the dvd player in this case). Of course...I have been know to be wrong on occasion.
Wayne

My Setup

#57 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,883 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:09 PM

I went to my HDMI switch and changed to another feed to the Samsung,

I may have misread your post. You have a physical switch for routing HDMI paths? Or is it an electronic receiver/switch of some sort?

#58 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,883 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:11 PM

What I did was change the switch to a different source input to the television, in this case my dvr, which was of course off. When this was done, the HDMI feed from the HR20 was effectively disconnected internally in the switch and was feeding nothing. The switch only has one output with three selectable inputs. Unless I am off base, the HR20 cannot maintain a handshake with the television unless it is connected through the switch to the television which it was not when I operated the switch to another input source. Of course...I have been know to be wrong on occasion.

Ok, we were writing at the same time. Is the switch powered at all?

#59 OFFLINE   69hokie

69hokie

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:17 PM

Ok, we were writing at the same time. Is the switch powered at all?

Yes, but for purposes of a remote....it would seem doubtful to me that the switch power would maintain in effect three different handshakes with the television at once but anything is possible. I would have physically disconnected the cable, but at the time the switch seemed a good idea. I really doubt the connection or disconnection of HDMI has any affect at all on this bug...cause or cure.
Wayne

My Setup

#60 OFFLINE   69hokie

69hokie

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:34 PM

Has anyone with multiple HR20's swapped them in their home to verify the bug follows the HR20?
Wayne

My Setup

spam firewall