Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Super Crop Bug: List of Affected TVs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
210 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   jazzyjez

jazzyjez

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:19 PM

SCB - Yes. Equipment: HR20-100 and Samsung LN-T4661F. The effect is the same either via component or HDMI. (I have native mode off on the HR20, with the output fixed at 1080i).

Interestingly this bug is new to me also. OK, I don't use the format button that much, but with the new HD channels going live, I've been experimenting again and it stands out a mile as being very different from "before" (to the best of my recollection anyway).

Since installing the HR20 back in April/May, my hardware setup (TV, cables, etc.) has not changed, so I'm inclined to lay the blame on a recent s/w update to the HR20.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:11 PM

I'm beginning to think that more than 50% are affected. I think it's true that there are some who are unaffected but I think a significant portion of those who think they don't have it, just don't use the feature.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#163 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:59 PM

I'm beginning to think that more than 50% are affected. I think it's true that there are some who are unaffected but I think a significant portion of those who think they don't have it, just don't use the feature.

I think you're right about the last part of your statement. I really only used the Crop if something was letterboxed but even then I don't usually watch SD stuff anymore, maybe only 2 shows... Other ones I do watch are not in the Wide Screen format so I just leave them Pillar'd.
- Andy
My Setup - (Computer Setup Included)
HR20-700 - / - / H20-100 -
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE<-- to DBSTalk.com and become a DBSTalk Club Member!

#164 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,876 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 03:07 PM

I am the first to admit I do not use it. I was only in crop long enough to test for this thread. I gave up way back in the posts. There is also a good possibility that given my lack of experience with viewing crop, I may have had supercrop and not even know it.

#165 OFFLINE   69hokie

69hokie

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 03:07 PM

Unfortunately, I watch most programming in crop mode (unless it is HD of course) since I don't want to take a chance with screen burnin on my Samsung plasma. I know the chance is low, but it was too expensive to risk. Hopefully D* can devote some of their good people to attack and solve this problem for once and all.
Wayne
Go Virginia Tech....and "Hoo"ever is playing UVa!

My Setup

#166 OFFLINE   Z28Taxman

Z28Taxman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 03:59 PM

That's certainly a possibility. I only started using crop on the HR20 recently. I had been using my tv to adjust the image. I'm back to using the tv again. Most of the letterboxed stuff looks great using the theaterwide 2 or 3 modes.

#167 OFFLINE   johnck78

johnck78

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:36 PM

Add Samsung HL-S5086W via HDMI

Let's SQUASH this BUG!!
Full Diagram of My Setup

Be a DBSTalk Club Member for $15 Support DBSTalk.com

Twitter: @JohnCK78

#168 OFFLINE   SBHD

SBHD

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:52 AM

How can it be TV related when the "SuperCrop" bug happens over analog interfaces (S-Video)? *sigh*

For what it's worth, Panasonic 50" plasma TH-50PX60

#169 OFFLINE   mdb

mdb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:55 AM

Main TV - Panasonic TH42PX50U - component connection : Always had the nasty bug. Hate it. Don't like stretch, why would anyone want to watch a distorted picture, whether stretched up/down or sideways???

Bedroom TV - Sony KDL32S2010 - HDMI connection : Never had the nasty bug until....To make a long story short, this tv has had only one cable connection since we purchased the HR20 in January. Last week week we finally got the second cable connection, and guess what - the nasty bug is now on this TV. Seems lilke too much of a coincidence to me.:confused:

#170 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:06 AM

Main TV - Panasonic TH42PX50U - component connection : Always had the nasty bug. Hate it. Don't like stretch, why would anyone want to watch a distorted picture, whether stretched up/down or sideways???

Bedroom TV - Sony KDL32S2010 - HDMI connection : Never had the nasty bug until....To make a long story short, this tv has had only one cable connection since we purchased the HR20 in January. Last week week we finally got the second cable connection, and guess what - the nasty bug is now on this TV. Seems lilke too much of a coincidence to me.:confused:

What do you mean by "cable connection"?
- Matt

#171 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:18 AM

Are you talking about a second line run to the HR20 or did you purchase a new cable?
- Andy

#172 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:30 AM

Are you talking about a second line run to the HR20 or did you purchase a new cable?

I'm assuming the former, but not sure. I can't imagine that the people reporting they don't have it only have 1 line as I assume the vast majority of people have both Sat connections, but I could be wrong about that.
- Matt

#173 OFFLINE   mdb

mdb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:59 AM

What do you mean by "cable connection"?

There was only one cable from the antenna to the box. Only one tuner available. I could record only the channel that was displaying. I couldn't watch something on one channel and record another.

#174 OFFLINE   mdb

mdb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:01 PM

A second line run to the HR20. Sorry if I'm not clear. Don't know the jargon that well.

#175 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:04 PM

Thanks for the clarification. As I said, I can't imagine that have 2 lines from the satellite dish would matter as I'm assuming the vast majority have 2 lines to the HR20. But it is an interesting observation.
- Matt

#176 OFFLINE   69hokie

69hokie

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:16 PM

I have seen the bug on my LG and the HR20 hooked to it only has one tuner in service (until SWM is available...then I can watch the bug on two tuners:nono2: ).
Wayne
Go Virginia Tech....and "Hoo"ever is playing UVa!

My Setup

#177 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:21 PM

A second line run to the HR20. Sorry if I'm not clear. Don't know the jargon that well.

Have you also done a CE Software Download since the new line was put in? No woories about the Jargon ;), sometimes we forget to include those who haven't been here too long.
- Andy

#178 OFFLINE   mdb

mdb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:11 PM

Have you also done a CE Software Download since the new line was put in? No woories about the Jargon ;), sometimes we forget to include those who haven't been here too long.

I haven't done a download, but the installer that ran the second cable may have. I wasn't at home when he came. I'll check when I get home.

#179 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:25 PM

I haven't done a download, but the installer that ran the second cable may have. I wasn't at home when he came. I'll check when I get home.

Thanks for checking but most likely, unless he did it on Friday night, around 11:00 EST or Saturday - you probably won't have gotten any new software. One thing that may have happened is that something with the second tuner enabled now...

Maybe someone try to leave tuner 1 on an HD channel and then tuner 2 on an SD channel and check for SCB. Next put tuner 1 on SD and tuner 2 on SD and see if either reproduce the bug... Maybe there's a signal leak that's causing the Super Stretch.
- Andy

#180 OFFLINE   cbyrd

cbyrd

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:36 PM

Panasonic PT-44LCX65 connected to HR20-100 via component. Just ran into it today watching "The War" in SD, pressed the format button and all was good. Paused it and surfed channels a bit then went back to it (it was a recording on the dvr) and boom, everything was twice as tall as it should be.

spam firewall