Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Recordings start late/end early

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kmill14

kmill14

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:23 PM

SL on Heroes and started watching it from the "beginning" about a half hour into it. As has been the case with almost all my recordings with the HR-20, it starts playing already into the intro, and ended about 1 minute early, and began Journeyman at the tail end of the Heroes recording.

This has been a consistent problem for me since I have gotten the box. Is it me, or is this a common problem?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:39 PM

This sounds like an issue between the HR20's clock and the network. I don't know why some people have the problem and some don't.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   PurpleMonk

PurpleMonk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 10:03 PM

I have had this problem since day one.... that's all of 5 weeks, but it is still frustrating. It doesn't seem to matter if I am running a national release or a CE. The -700 in the bedroom is on the national release and the one in the living room is on 19e. They are within 4 seconds of each other and that is actually about 6-10 seconds fast (compared to my computer and cell phone which are within a fraction of a second of each other).

It happens on Showtime (or any other non broadcast channel) as often as it happens on the local networks and since the clock is fast I have to conclude the entire television industry is running 30 seconds ahead of the rest of the world and the National Institute of Standards.

It would have to be a hidden option, but I sure would like an option to set the "time offset" so I wouldn't miss the very beginning of my shows.

#4 OFFLINE   TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 10:43 PM

I just pad the shows by 1 minute on the beginning and end--a bandaid fix that works until you have more than 2 shows trying to share the overlapping minute on different channels (same channel is no problem). Also, often times it starts PLAYBACK about 1 minute into the show, so don't forget to rewind after hitting play. Don't know why, and it is automatic now for me just to do this.
Trigger

#5 OFFLINE   kmill14

kmill14

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:29 AM

!@#!$!

I'm not thrilled about the idea of having to a) tell my DVR how to record the shows at the exact right time because it can't itself B) Always rewind to the real beginning of the show

#6 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,225 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:26 PM

I have been recording CBS Sunday Morning every week since I got my HR20 in January.
It always starts on time, even though the start time each week varies between 6 and 8 am.:)
Don't know about the ending time as I generally delete the show as the closing credits are rolling.:confused:
Only hiccup I've run into is the local broadcast of the CBS Evening News on KCBS, which is scheduled for 6:30 pm. KCBS starts Katie a little past 6:28, so I have to pad the start time by two minutes to get the full newscast. That's the station's fault, I assume, although I guess the Tribune guide could be adjusted to handle that.

Bill

#7 OFFLINE   Mickey

Mickey

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:12 PM

I just pad the shows by 1 minute on the beginning and end--a bandaid fix that works until you have more than 2 shows trying to share the overlapping minute on different channels (same channel is no problem). Also, often times it starts PLAYBACK about 1 minute into the show, so don't forget to rewind after hitting play. Don't know why, and it is automatic now for me just to do this.

This is one thing I miss about my HR10-250 was the hack that allowed for overlap - UNLESS there is a conflicting show. The hacked Tivo was smart enough to do the overlap unless it caused a conflict. And, I could set the overlap time. I used 2 minutes before and after. This would be an awesome option to add to the HR20....

#8 OFFLINE   elove

elove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:04 PM

I am having this problem with the HR20 starting late on some shows but not with others. I have done comparisions with my HR10-250 HD Tivo. For example, Cold Case started about a minute into the show on the HR-20 at the scene when it showed the killer pointing the gun to the head of the girl. The HR10-250 HD Tivo started at the beginning when the killer killed the girls parents first. That was some important information lost.

I believe as someone stated earlier, the HR-20 internal clock is off. I thought the receivers got their time from the satiellete. If so, how can the HR-20 be off and the HR10-150 get it right.

Any suggestions on how to fix this. I may try a RBR and see if that helps.

Thanks!

#9 OFFLINE   rposly

rposly

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:36 PM

I have had the HR20 for over about two months, and only just noticed this exact problem the past week or so. Everything starts a minute late. I checked the clock on the HR20 (easily done by pressing INFO at any time), and it does appear to be a minute slow, at least compared to my watch. So this seems like a satellite problem. I keep hoping it'll fix itself, but obviously we need to start lobbing calls into DirecTV. So annoying...

#10 OFFLINE   rposly

rposly

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:46 PM

FYI - I just called D* and the CSR was very nice, but she basically told me nothing. She said to try to change all my recordings to start a minute early. Great. I asked if she could please just let someone know that perhaps the clock was off by a little bit, and she more or less shrugged me off. Oh well. We need to get one of the moderators here that is in contact with D* to let someone know about this issue.

#11 OFFLINE   mcl

mcl

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:01 PM

I'm having the same problem, and having all shows start a minute early just isn't an option now that the new fall season is here. Having to start everything a minute early will cause massive scheduling conflicts.

#12 OFFLINE   RoberMR

RoberMR

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:46 PM

I just did an apples to apples test between a SD DirecTivo I have and the HR20. And definitely, the HR20 starts recording about 20-30 seconds later than the DirecTivo. Here are the details:

I set up the same SD program from the guide in both machines starting at 9:30 pm with no padding or anything. I let them record for about 5 minutes and then went to play them on my split screen TV set side by side. The Tivo based machine started recording right on time while the HR20 took at least 20 seconds to 30 seconds more before it started recording.

Same guide
Same satellite
Same multiswitch feed
Same channel (SD)
Same program
Same time

For some reason, the HR20 takes longer to start recording.

It is not the networks, not different timing between the SD and the HD version of the same channel. It is the timing in the HR20.

I hope this helps the DirecTV engineers.

#13 OFFLINE   TigerDriver

TigerDriver

Electronics Engineer

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:48 AM

I believe as someone stated earlier, the HR-20 internal clock is off. I thought the receivers got their time from the satiellete. If so, how can the HR-20 be off and the HR10-150 get it right.

Thanks!

There an excellent thread elsewhere on this topic. One big clue is that even when the Guide rolls over within a second or two of atomic time, the record light on the DVR doesn't come on until many seconds later--up to 30 seconds in some cases IIRC.
Joe

HR20-100, HR24NC-100, HR21-700
Samsung HLS5687WX 56" DLP
Onkyo TX-SR705 A/V receiver
Samsung Blue-Ray/DVD player
4-channel NTSC modulator

#14 OFFLINE   opelap

opelap

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:26 AM

Tried that and it caused no end to the number of conflicts I got. I spent more time fixing conflicts than the amount of show I was missing.

So now I just live with it.

#15 OFFLINE   rkreitl

rkreitl

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 96 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:36 AM

There an excellent thread elsewhere on this topic. One big clue is that even when the Guide rolls over within a second or two of atomic time, the record light on the DVR doesn't come on until many seconds later--up to 30 seconds in some cases IIRC.

That's my experience. On both a -100 and -700. Sunday night I was getting ready to watch Dexter on Showtime. I had Showtime on and within a second or two of the show starting the clock showed 7:00pm. It was another 25 seconds before the record light came on. I played back the recording and confirmed it did start when the light came on.

This is some problem with a processing delay on the HR20. Something that needs to be fixed. The use of padding only creates conflicts and more scheduling problems. Now if D* would add auto padding to the HR20, that would help with this problem.

#16 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:43 AM

This problem has been reported many times. I would hope DirecTV knows of the issue although I haven't seen anything in the CE notes that specifically addresses this issue yet.

Hopefully, someone at DirecTV will take pity on their customers and at least let us know they're working on a fix...if they are.

#17 OFFLINE   kmill14

kmill14

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:57 PM

I just did an apples to apples test between a SD DirecTivo I have and the HR20. And definitely, the HR20 starts recording about 20-30 seconds later than the DirecTivo. Here are the details:

I set up the same SD program from the guide in both machines starting at 9:30 pm with no padding or anything. I let them record for about 5 minutes and then went to play them on my split screen TV set side by side. The Tivo based machine started recording right on time while the HR20 took at least 20 seconds to 30 seconds more before it started recording.

Same guide
Same satellite
Same multiswitch feed
Same channel (SD)
Same program
Same time

For some reason, the HR20 takes longer to start recording.

It is not the networks, not different timing between the SD and the HD version of the same channel. It is the timing in the HR20.

I hope this helps the DirecTV engineers.

Thanks for doing this test. I know people want to put the HR-20 on a pedestal and throw Tivo out with the trash, but when it comes down to reliability, HR-20 is definitely not running in 1st place.

#18 OFFLINE   TigerDriver

TigerDriver

Electronics Engineer

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:05 PM

That's my experience. On both a -100 and -700. Sunday night I was getting ready to watch Dexter on Showtime. I had Showtime on and within a second or two of the show starting the clock showed 7:00pm. It was another 25 seconds before the record light came on. I played back the recording and confirmed it did start when the light came on.

This is some problem with a processing delay on the HR20. Something that needs to be fixed. The use of padding only creates conflicts and more scheduling problems. Now if D* would add auto padding to the HR20, that would help with this problem.

Dollars to doughnuts this is a thread synchronization/prioritization issue. Ahem...Computer Science students this drilled into them in their Junior year.
Joe

HR20-100, HR24NC-100, HR21-700
Samsung HLS5687WX 56" DLP
Onkyo TX-SR705 A/V receiver
Samsung Blue-Ray/DVD player
4-channel NTSC modulator

#19 OFFLINE   RoberMR

RoberMR

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for doing this test. I know people want to put the HR-20 on a pedestal and throw Tivo out with the trash, but when it comes down to reliability, HR-20 is definitely not running in 1st place.

Well, I am not by any means unhappy with the HR20. Actually, I like it quite a lot. In fact there are many features of it that I like better than the DirecTivos that I have. This late start symptom is the biggest problem I have experienced - actually the only problem - with the HR20. Other than this, it has been rock solid for the month and a half that I've had it. (I hope my next post isn't one about a spontaneous reboot - LoL)

#20 OFFLINE   rkreitl

rkreitl

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 96 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:36 PM

Dollars to doughnuts this is a thread synchronization/prioritization issue. Ahem...Computer Science students this drilled into them in their Junior year.

Exactly. Since we hear the HR20 is running some version of *ix, why not just use cron? Program set to record at 7:00pm, fire off the script that records it? ToDo list is just a GUI representation of a filter of "crontab -l". If the poorly cobbled programming demands an extra 30 seconds for the chipmunks to start spinning the "record a show" wheel, then you set cron to fire off the recording at 6:59:30.

This isn't rocket science...unless of course the HR20 is running *ix yet the "all knowing" developers have attempted to write their own scheduling system ignoring the tried and true tool of cron.

spam firewall