Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How To: Copy and Replace Internal Hard Drive

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
304 replies to this topic

Poll: I know that If I open my HR20 DVR (814 member(s) have cast votes)

I know that If I open my HR20 DVR

1. I will void the remaining warrany and will violate the lease agreement if I do not own it. (420 votes [51.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 51.60%

2. I am not going to open my HR20 DVR. (394 votes [48.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.40%

Vote

#221 OFFLINE   daniellee

daniellee

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:09 AM

Not entirely related to the process, but I was wondering if the software update that was pushed down today erased anyone else's recordings and scheduled tasks? I have two upgraded HR21s, one lost everything the other is fine...

Just curious.

Assuming you are using an external ESATA drive, make sure your DVR didn't revert to the internal drive. If so, power down the ESATA drive, then the DVR, restart the ESATA drive, restart the DVR.
-Danny

AU9S Slimline Dish -> SWM-16
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR20-100, (1) HR21-100, (1) HR21-200, (1) HR21-700 (all DECA network with internet connection)
See my kitchen wall cabinet setup here

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   Fezmid

Fezmid

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:17 AM

Assuming you are using an external ESATA drive, make sure your DVR didn't revert to the internal drive. If so, power down the ESATA drive, then the DVR, restart the ESATA drive, restart the DVR.

Thanks - but I posted in the "replace internal drive" thread because I replaced my internal drive. :D

One of my receivers was re-formatted, the other was fine. I'm not sure if it was related to the software update or not though (I hadn't looked at the receiver since Sunday afternoon).

Not a huge deal, just wondering if I was the only one with the issue.

#223 OFFLINE   SepticDeath

SepticDeath

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 04:03 PM

Hey, I did the upgrade with no issue, but I wanted to know if anyone knows why the newer 'green' drives seem to have PM2 (what requires the gparted spinup) even though the drive itself shows that to enable pm2 a jumper needs to be on pins 3/4. has it been hard wired on the controller board or something? Has anyone figured out the correct jumpers to disable this? I could use the 4 500 gig drives I pulled from all my units. I really havent tried installing the drives into my actual machine I would want to use them on, I used a OLDER p4 to do all the xfs filesystem work, and obviously that bios being so old doesn't have the PM2 init commands.

Looking at a pdf for WD sata drives, they also have a Spread Spectrum Clocking feature that can be enabled or disabled, looks like they have 2 diffrent configurations that have no jumpers to enable on one, and jumpers installed to enable on the other. Anyways, the drive label clearly states to jump pins 3/4 to toggle drive into a required spinup mode.

Thanks in advance.

#224 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,849 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 07 November 2008 - 04:28 PM

It's depends where the disks came from.

#225 OFFLINE   SepticDeath

SepticDeath

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:36 PM

all from HR-22-100's (all units less than 3 weeks old)

#226 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,849 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:20 PM

Well, those disks are made by OEM with requested special feature - 'do not spin after power on; wait for spin off command'.

#227 OFFLINE   SepticDeath

SepticDeath

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:09 PM

Well, those disks are made by OEM with requested special feature - 'do not spin after power on; wait for spin off command'.

The part number comes up as if its not a custom drive, even the label on the disk has non OEM jumper settings and information. Like I said, I found all the jumper settings, I going to bet that its on the drive at the firmware / AAM attributes level.

I'm going to use something like the magic boot disk and hddguru and boot into some advanced hard disk diagnostics that let you adjust the SMART attributes, AAM, APM (Power Management Functions) and will let you know.

I've hacked many a "locked" xbox drive and panasonic z3 drive with these methods, I was just hoping that someone else here had done all the leg work and located the issue.

APM is adjustable from the low-level HDD diagnostics, and I bet I can turn the spin up required command with it.

I'll post back to the site on my success, as adjusting this and getting it turned off will allow acronis 2009 to clone the entire hard drive, which might make it alot easier for some people. Plus, provide a couple extra 3g sata drives for a nice software raid 0/1 or 5 for people like me with a small stack of these pulled drives..

#228 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,849 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:46 AM

I would say you'll need more knowledge about HDD low level commands like IDENTIFY, not just play with hacking tools. Try to find ATAPI-7 standard documents.

#229 OFFLINE   SepticDeath

SepticDeath

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:33 PM

Yeah, I have all my knowledge from hddguru.com, lots of documents and tools there, including the 7th revision of the atta/atapi standard.

I don't have the drives sitting here, but I assume that ATA EFh 06h command "SET FEATURES - Enable Power-up in Standby" has been set, and now the drive says that is is not supported even though is it now reported enabled?

I remember another WD drive that had this firmware error (or specifically designed error), anyways, I dont have any "X86" pc's anymore, all mac's now, so it makes it a little hard to boot up with hdat2 or mhdd, so if you have done any of this already, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
I suppose it actually makes sense to just store them (in case you need warranty work) and go buy disks, but I am interested in understanding why they would pay money to do this, and then not even lock the drives to the dvr's with simple commands.??

SD

#230 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:46 PM

You may want to try disabling Power-up in Standby using http://sourceforge.n...ckage_id=226068

#231 OFFLINE   SepticDeath

SepticDeath

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:58 PM

Thanks, I'll check it out, I've seen it before but only thought it was software that caused the drive to come out of standby mode during the current power cycle. Didn't know it was something that would change the setting and retain the setting after a power off.

#232 OFFLINE   rakstr

rakstr

Legend

• Registered
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:05 PM

Yeah, I have all my knowledge from hddguru.com, lots of documents and tools there, including the 7th revision of the atta/atapi standard.

I don't have the drives sitting here, but I assume that ATA EFh 06h command "SET FEATURES - Enable Power-up in Standby" has been set, and now the drive says that is is not supported even though is it now reported enabled?

I remember another WD drive that had this firmware error (or specifically designed error), anyways, I dont have any "X86" pc's anymore, all mac's now, so it makes it a little hard to boot up with hdat2 or mhdd, so if you have done any of this already, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
I suppose it actually makes sense to just store them (in case you need warranty work) and go buy disks, but I am interested in understanding why they would pay money to do this, and then not even lock the drives to the dvr's with simple commands.??

SD

How old are your MACs that they're not X86. Apple has been usng Intel for a couple years now.

#233 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,849 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 03:26 PM

How old are your MACs that they're not X86. Apple has been usng Intel for a couple years now.

Please stay on topic.

[This question should channeled thru PM !]

#234 OFFLINE   rakstr

rakstr

Legend

• Registered
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:35 PM

Please stay on topic.

[This question should channeled thru PM !]

Sorry, I was merely suggesting that he may havean X86 based machine and perhaps didn't even know it. He could possibly run the tests he wanted. Look in his message where he says he needs and X86 machine.

#235 OFFLINE   SepticDeath

SepticDeath

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:15 PM

Yes, bad choice of way to state the obvious. You cant boot the various iso's that load msdos to perform low level diagnostics on a efi mac.

#236 OFFLINE   SepticDeath

SepticDeath

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:05 PM

Well, that was pretty simple. The drives are configured with "Enable Power-up in Standby" set to enable, but dont have the firmware issues of the older WD drives that cant be edited back to disable. Simply boot hdat2 with the /w (spin up) command, and use the ata command set to set the APM Powerup in Stanby to disable and that's that.

Not sure if anyone cares, but it makes flipping the default and then using acronis to do the imaging. Anyways, take it easy.. Not to mention, ability to use the disk elsewhere.

#237 OFFLINE   SepticDeath

SepticDeath

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:27 PM

Mr. Smith, quick question since you seem to have some knowledge. Since most any drive can have the Power-up in standby enabled, should we be setting this default for the larger replacement drives. I can assume that they were set that way for "Green" initiatives? Just curious as basically no one is including this (probably due to lack of even knowing how) in the faq's? Why waste electricity? Right?

-SD

#238 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,849 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:05 PM

I wouldn't expect this setting en masse, it will require rewriting a lot of code.
DVR are different beast, they could be upgraded once for all;
actually main reason of implementing the mode for DVR is detract curious ppl from researching internal content.

#239 OFFLINE   daniellee

daniellee

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:16 PM

My guess is that they wanted to lighten the initial power-on stress/load for the dvr’s power supply by delaying the drive spin-up thereby allowing a smaller power supply and/or increasing its longevity.
-Danny

AU9S Slimline Dish -> SWM-16
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR20-100, (1) HR21-100, (1) HR21-200, (1) HR21-700 (all DECA network with internet connection)
See my kitchen wall cabinet setup here

#240 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,849 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:51 PM

My guess is that they wanted to lighten the initial power-on stress/load for the dvr’s power supply by delaying the drive spin-up thereby allowing a smaller power supply and/or increasing its longevity.

Total misconception - a delay is different mode and could be controlled by jumper; this one wasn't design for "allowing a smaller power supply and/or increasing its longevity".

Actually, we drifting totally OFF-TOPIC. If you want to continue softening the restriction, better open a new thread and move our last few posts there.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...