Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discussion: The Science Channel (Channel 284)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   soloredd

soloredd

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:37 PM

God, I love this channel. I had it on Comcast (SD) and watched it continuously. So glad to have it in HD, though! And they show a TON of HD programs.

269-287 is the best block of channels, IMO.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Josh

Josh

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:38 PM

Hey guys -- i had the same problem and here's how we fixed it:

I used to have the old TiVo setup that was 59/month.
When i upgraded to the '20 they kept me on the same 59$ plan and charged me 10/month for the HD package.

Aparently, D* was supposed to back me out of the 59/month plan, and put me on the HDDVR plan for 69.(Same price different "behind the scenes")

After I called them they did this and the Sci channel comes in now. No resetting or anyhting it appeared during the phone call. No change in cost of programming.

#43 OFFLINE   romulox

romulox

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:09 PM

I see it as well. You are not alone.

FINALLY..... someone else seeing this issue with the noise / pixelation on the Science Channel.

I've posted this issue here and in the directv forums and no one can seem to relate. Out of frustration I hooked up a 27" Olevia lcd flat panel (my normal tv is the kds-60a2020) to the hr20 via both hdmi and component - I see the problem. Based on that alone I can rule out the TV and my cables (doubtful both sets of cables made by different vendors would be bad).

I then checked my signal strength on 103a (or was it b? - which ever is the one people here have you check for the HDs). My signals were all between 94 and 100.

I don't suspect my rg6 cabling or this white noise would happen on all channels and would only be happening to me - not to mmicha, robmfielding, or my buddy in town with the same issue.

This leaves we with 3 culprits - the hr20 itself, the science channel, or the b band converters. If it's the science channel, nothing I can do. If it's the HR20 - I don't even feel like dealing with it. But the BBCs? I guess I could order some new ones.

Anyone else with thoughts or ideas?
RAMONE..... get this kid a life!

Simple setup: DVR not networked, no multiswitch, no phone line

Complete setup plus signal strengths: click here

#44 OFFLINE   DTTC

DTTC

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:24 AM

Sparkle problem has been fixed.

#45 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:37 AM

Thanks, DTTC. I appreciate your good work and letting us know. I really enjoy the Science Channel. It's one of my presets on my Harmony remote.

Any chance I can get you to comment on the audio sync problems widely reported here on Mythbusters over the past few weeks?

* rubs lamp *
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#46 OFFLINE   DTTC

DTTC

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:44 PM

There are numerous reports of lip sync problems across many channels. Speaking for the Discovery HD networks (Discovery, TLC, Animal Planet and Science), I can assure you that the signals that we monitor on the satellite downlinks for our own networks are all correctly in sync. These downlinks that we monitor match the signals that are delivered to our affiliates (DirecTV, the cable headends, etc) so we are confident we are delivering correctly timed signals to these affiliates.

From postings on various forums it appears that if home viewers reboot their STB's it corrects the lip sync problem, which validates the statement above.

#47 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 03:58 PM

Thanks again, DTTC. That's good to know.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

spam firewall