Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: Versus / Golf (Channel 604)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
63 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 September 2007 - 12:32 PM

Discussion thread for the new HD channel: Versus / Golf (Channel 604)

Topics: PQ, Programming, Stretch-0-vision (we hope not!), etc.

And don't forget our other coverage of the new DIRECTV HD channels:

The list of Launched Channels,
Troubleshooting Tips for the New HD Channels,
and just for fun, The "I Got Them!" Challenge.

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:56 AM

VSGFHD - Confirmed 604
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 ONLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:16 AM

Anyone know if there are plans to eventually split the two or will it be golf in the morning / vs. in the evening (I'm thinking more of NHL).
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

#4 OFFLINE   jmacari

jmacari

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:48 AM

I wonder if the Viking Classic (Thurs. 6:30PM-9:30PM) will be HD?? ...thats if HD cameras are even used for the event (seeing that the Presidents Cup is the major broadcast)...............

#5 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:49 AM

Non-stretched content looks good; I'll reserve judgment on their HD until I get to see some HD sports later this week/weekend.
Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#6 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:49 AM

I also hope this channel gets split soon. I remember there being some kind of problem last year when a wings game didn't get aired because Versus/Golf was showing golf instead of hockey.

#7 OFFLINE   sportshermit

sportshermit

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:05 AM

I also hope this channel gets split soon. I remember there being some kind of problem last year when a wings game didn't get aired because Versus/Golf was showing golf instead of hockey.

I would imagine we'll see alternate channels if this happens. It won't be a bandwith issue at least not after 11 launches.
Directv subscriber since 1995.

#8 OFFLINE   tawnee

tawnee

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:11 AM

My son gets this on Comcast and they share the same channel, I think Dish is the same.

Just in time for the Natalie Gulbis show tonight!!!

#9 OFFLINE   GenoV

GenoV

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:15 AM

Anyone know if the college football on Saturdays on Versus is shown in HD on this channel?

#10 OFFLINE   Redlinetire

Redlinetire

Icon

• Registered
  • 927 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:41 AM

My son gets this on Comcast and they share the same channel, I think Dish is the same.

Just in time for the Natalie Gulbis show tonight!!!

This is exactly how I got in on Comcast and it was that way since the beginning. The split channel is how NBC/Universal ( I think that's who owns Versus and the Golf Channel) decided to produce it. I don't know if they plan to change it anytime soon...
TiVo Series3 --> Toshiba 34HFX83 (CRT)

#11 OFFLINE   CoachGibbs

CoachGibbs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:45 AM

Anyone know if the college football on Saturdays on Versus is shown in HD on this channel?

It's hit and miss so far this season.

#12 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:59 AM

I would imagine we'll see alternate channels if this happens. It won't be a bandwith issue at least not after 11 launches.

You would think so, but DirecTV wasn't carrying the golf show in the 90s channels. If I remember correctly this game wasn't available in HD anywhere because of the golf coverage. So, this is a limitation on Comcast's (Vs. owner) side, not a bandwidth issue on DirecTV's side.

#13 OFFLINE   Hunter707

Hunter707

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:15 AM

I was hoping to get this channel in time to watch some of the Rugby World Cup in HD. They did such a poor job of covering the World Cup that it didn't matter whether it was SD or HD.

#14 OFFLINE   mesquito

mesquito

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:52 AM

I subscribe to CHOICE and do not receive the GOLF channel. I do have access to VS at this time.

I just viewed the channel but what will happen when GOLF takes over the channel? Will Choice viewers have access to both Golf and VS or just VS or will D*
charge a HD fee for VS. BTW I do get GOLF on local cable basic package.

#15 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:05 AM

Golf is better than Hockey anyway. I know that. I am a Canadian.

#16 OFFLINE   Hunter707

Hunter707

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:09 AM

Golf is better than Hockey anyway. I know that. I am a Canadian.

After a statement like that, I'm sure your citizenship can be revoked. :D

#17 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:01 PM

I think he got hit in the head with a puck. It's hard to compare a sport to taking a leisurely walk and hitting a ball at each stop. :lol:

#18 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:09 PM

After a statement like that, I'm sure your citizenship can be revoked. :D

I know. And they actually have my passport now. I just sent them in for renewal.

I saw a poll when I still lived in Canada that Golf was the number 1 sports Canadian engaged in. I was hard for me to believe that. For all I know, hockey night goes very well with pokers and beers. That was before I discovered they have cute cart girls on golf courses.

#19 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:12 PM

I think he got hit in the head with a puck. It's hard to compare a sport to taking a leisurely walk and hitting a ball at each stop. :lol:

I agree. One you have to think and the other one you don't. Beating yourself is always more difficult than beating your opponents. Can't compare that.

#20 OFFLINE   highheater

highheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:14 PM

I subscribe to CHOICE and do not receive the GOLF channel. I do have access to VS at this time.

I just viewed the channel but what will happen when GOLF takes over the channel? Will Choice viewers have access to both Golf and VS or just VS or will D*
charge a HD fee for VS. BTW I do get GOLF on local cable basic package.

I have CHOICE and not CHOICE PLUS but get the Golf Channels as part of my 'grandfathered' Sports Package.

When they first moved the Golf Channel out of Sports to part of the Choice PLUS I lost it. But it later reappeared and I think it is the result of it previously being included in my Sports package.

What you get and what you pay for with repect to TGC and Versus may be a function of when you signed up for the various services.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...