Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discussion: The Discovery Channel (Channel 278)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:51 PM

Discussion thread for the new HD channel: Discovery (Channel 278)

Topics: PQ, Programming, Stretch-0-vision (we hope not!), etc.

And don't forget our other coverage of the new DIRECTV HD channels:

The list of Launched Channels,
Troubleshooting Tips for the New HD Channels,
and just for fun, The "I Got Them!" Challenge.

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:51 AM

DSCHD - Confirmed 278
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   BigEHokie

BigEHokie

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 05:31 AM

I'm assuming this channel is not simulcast? I had a schedule set for Survivorman on the SD channel and there are no listings for Survivor man on the HD version...

#4 OFFLINE   MartyS

MartyS

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 05:36 AM

I'm assuming this channel is not simulcast? I had a schedule set for Survivorman on the SD channel and there are no listings for Survivor man on the HD version...

Make sure that you're looking at the Discovery channel on channel 278, not the Discovery HD Theater which is in the 70's... those are two different channels and do not broadcast the same thing.

Channel 278 should be a simulcast in both SD and HD... you need to select the HD channel for your SL's.
Marty

My Setup

Life is in HD and 3D -- be sure to enjoy it!!

Never argue with an idiot.
He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

#5 OFFLINE   BigEHokie

BigEHokie

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:41 AM

Channel 278 should be a simulcast in both SD and HD... you need to select the HD channel for your SL's.

That's why I was confused as my SL was on SD and I was attempting to move it over to HD. However, the only listing I got for Survivorman when I performed a search was for channel 284, the SCIHD channel. I'll check again when I get home this evening. Thanks for the info.

#6 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:42 AM

Billy Blanks in HD. Gee.
Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#7 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:33 AM

Does anyone else have the DiscHD picture not take up the whole screen? I noticed this during the test channel?

Is it specific to shows or what? Seems that whenever I turn to it, it has a small border around the entire picture...

Yet, no one else has mentioned it...
40" Samsung LCD - LN40B640 (living room)
42" Samsung DLP - HLS4266W
DirecTV HR20-700 Receiver
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver
DirecTV HR24-100 Receiver
Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
XBOX Live, Battle.net, and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud

#8 OFFLINE   Juppers

Juppers

Icon

• Registered
  • 596 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:39 AM

I've mentioned it and I hope they correct that very soon. They are cropping old 4:3 content, and not cropping enough to fill the entire screen.

#9 OFFLINE   wonko

wonko

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:16 AM

I've mentioned it and I hope they correct that very soon. They are cropping old 4:3 content, and not cropping enough to fill the entire screen.

That's how Discovery/TLC handles 4:3 content. It's basically a partial zoom that cuts off some of the top and more of the bottom. Somewhere in between full pillarbox and A&E/History's stupid stretch-o-vision.

#10 OFFLINE   c152driver

c152driver

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:24 AM

Nothing on Discovery Channel HD is showing up in keyword search results on my HR20.

#11 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:22 PM

I have never watched it before but I am really getting a kick out of this show "Dirty Jobs". Just watched them gut a catfish. The host - Mike Rowe? - is hilarious.

#12 OFFLINE   bcrab

bcrab

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:01 PM

Does anyone else have the DiscHD picture not take up the whole screen? I noticed this during the test channel?

Is it specific to shows or what? Seems that whenever I turn to it, it has a small border around the entire picture...

Yet, no one else has mentioned it...

I have the same almost. I have 1 1/2" bars on the sides. So far its the only channel thats that way.
HR22-100
HR20-100
HR20-700
AM-21

SWM-8
Yamaha RX-V661
Yamaha RX-V665
Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-37PX60U
Samsung PN63B550

#13 OFFLINE   Juppers

Juppers

Icon

• Registered
  • 596 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:06 PM

Those bars suck. Especially for people that have displays that can be be affected by screen burn. They need to go the ESPN way and put up graphical pillarbars for 4:3 content. What do all these channels have against OAR?

#14 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 946 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:33 PM

I have never watched it before but I am really getting a kick out of this show "Dirty Jobs". Just watched them gut a catfish. The host - Mike Rowe? - is hilarious.

:+1:

He's a trip. And to think, he spent many of his years in TV as an announcer only, not actually on screen.

It's funny when he manages to work in a shameless plug for Ford Trucks, who has him in their commercials.

#15 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,763 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:19 PM

I got search hits for Survivorman on the Science channel, channel 280. Is this the normal channel for it?

#16 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Registered
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:31 AM

It should or will be one of your favorite shows... I was watching Myth Busters and it is definately HD not SD stretched. What I did notice was when they had an SD comercial, it was stretched from 4:3 to 16:9. But the content of the show is awesome HD 16:9. So I am happy. I do have to switch all of my series recorded shows to the new HD channel though.

#17 OFFLINE   rlnoonan

rlnoonan

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:40 AM

I got search hits for Survivorman on the Science channel, channel 280. Is this the normal channel for it?

Yes. I record Survivorman too, and it is on the Science channel, not Discovery (at least the new ones). Since the Science channel is one of the Discovery network channels they may show re-runs there, but I'm not sure about that.
- Bob

Slimline 5lnb dish (4 RG-6 cables, no multi-switch)

HR20-700.............................. HR20-100S
HDMI to Mitsubishi WD57732............ HDMI to Toshiba 32HL67US Regza
Optical to Onkyo TX-SR604............. Digital Coax to Sony HT-5100D
Protected by APC J10.................. Protected by Panamax 4300-MX
Controlled by Harmony 676............. Controlled by Harmony 676

#18 OFFLINE   ahafele

ahafele

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:16 AM

It should or will be one of your favorite shows... I was watching Myth Busters and it is definately HD not SD stretched. What I did notice was when they had an SD comercial, it was stretched from 4:3 to 16:9. But the content of the show is awesome HD 16:9. So I am happy. I do have to switch all of my series recorded shows to the new HD channel though.

I think it depends on the episode. It seems that the newer episodes were recorded in HD, whereas older ones were recorded in SD and are now upconverted on DC HD.

What I find unfortunate is that they are tagged as HD in the guide. It would be nice if D* introduced a new logo to indicate shows that are not HD but are presented in 16:9 format. They have the letterbox logo, but that's not the same thing.

#19 OFFLINE   Johnboat

Johnboat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 04:18 PM

I'm wondering if anyone else is having a problem with Discovery HD no filling the screen. I've attached a pic to show you guys.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00800.JPG

The curse of Bobby Layne is over! I guess we'll finally see if curses are real. LOL
==================
Phillips DirecTivo
Sony 32" Trinitron SDTV
^Downstairs

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 04:25 PM

It isn't just you.
It same thing was happening when it was on 9301. Sometimes it would be full screen and other times it's like you've posted.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...