Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Showtime vs Starz?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mrbarker

mrbarker

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:16 PM

So like the rest of us I am finally excited that we actually got the HD Channels. My excitement is so that I want to add one of the movie channels. . . My question is what package do you all like better - Starz or Showtime? I like boxing but does Showtime have any more good boxing? It seems like Starz has the most HD channels.. Anyone out there willing to put their preference down would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:17 PM

We prefer Starz.
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#3 OFFLINE   Jazzy Jeff

Jazzy Jeff

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:17 PM

Showtime, Brotherhood and Dexter about to come back for the fall. Enough said :D

#4 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:18 PM

So like the rest of us I am finally excited that we actually got the HD Channels. My excitement is so that I want to add one of the movie channels. . . My question is what package do you all like better - Starz or Showtime? I like boxing but does Showtime have any more good boxing? It seems like Starz has the most HD channels.. Anyone out there willing to put their preference down would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

:welcome_s
I currently have showtime and will probably cancel once Weeds & Californication are done with new shows. I've been debating Starz simply becuse it's alot of HD.
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#5 OFFLINE   GeorgeLV

GeorgeLV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:20 PM

Showtime has boxing, Starz does not. Also, there is only one more HD channel on Starz than Showtime.

Showtime:

Showtime HD E&W
Sho Too HD
The Movie Channel HD

Starz:

Starz HD E&W
Starz Comedy HD
Starz Edge HD
Starz Kids and Family HD

#6 OFFLINE   elvistcb

elvistcb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:24 PM

Showtime rocks. They have a lot of great shows: Brotherhood, Dexter, Meadowlands, Weeds, Californication, Sleeper Cell. I dumped HBO (except when "Curb" & Big Love is on ) after the Sopranos. Had Starz but not much of a movie person. I think if you like movies Starz is the best, if you want original shows then Showtime is ahead of the game right now. I have watched a few movies on Sho but it doesn't seem like they are the same type as Starz.

Now that Starz is in HD I may look at it again, I think it is not as much as not being a movie person, but being an HD only person. I won't watch SD movies.
Elvis

#7 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:25 PM

If I *HAD* to pick one, it'd be Starz

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN
DirecTV subscriber since 1996

#8 OFFLINE   Sintori

Sintori

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:26 PM

I'm not big on the premium channel shows yet, just upgrade to premier a few months ago. But I've always liked the large movie selection on starz. And now that it's in HD, it's even more appealing! I'm happy to see that they have added Starz Comedy and Starz Kids too!
Working mom of 3
HR20-100, slimline dish, HDMI
R15 SD-DVR
SD reciever
I LOVE MY IPOD!
D* subscriber since 2000
D* HD subscriber since May 2007

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,656 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:29 PM

Personally I keep bouncing back and forth as to what my favorite it. Depends on the content... doesn't it always?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   HD AV

HD AV

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:34 PM

Skintime, er, I mean showtime is a waste of time. Yes, they have some good original programming, but it's supposed to be a movie channel. If you like good movies, then Starz is the only answer.
Slimline Dish
LR - Sony 60" XBR2 SXRD
HR20-700
5.1 DD w/Pro. JBL Studio Reference Monitors
2 Velodine SPL 1200s
BR - H20-600
Sony KDL-40S2010
Yamaha Stereo Amp
Bose 901s

#11 OFFLINE   3rdGenBruin

3rdGenBruin

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:40 PM

Basically, if you want original shows, then go with Showtime. If you want movies, go with Starz. I have both and am really happy now that the new HD channels are up.

FYI, Californication (on Showtime) is the best new show on television, IMHO.

#12 OFFLINE   Rambler

Rambler

Icon

• Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:48 PM

I currently have HBO and Showtime. But I'll be cancelling HBO and getting Starz instead, and save a buck or two per month in the process. :)

#13 OFFLINE   mrbarker

mrbarker

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:56 PM

Thanks!!! Looks like Starz will win out for me this time... I was hoping someone would state how awesome Showtime Boxing would be coming up, but I guess theyve lost all their starpower to HBO :)

I appreciate the responses!

#14 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:57 PM

Skintime, er, I mean showtime is a waste of time. Yes, they have some good original programming, but it's supposed to be a movie channel. If you like good movies, then Starz is the only answer.

Showtime is not supposed to be a movie channel. Hasn't been for a long time. HBO started this trend since they concluded original series draw and keep customers more effectively than movies. Each of them spawns new movie only channels, Cinemax and the Movie Channels. STARZ is a movie channel, although they started to create few short original programs now.

If you like just movies, and only movies, why not consider Blueray + Blockbuster/Netflix? Probably a better deal.

#15 OFFLINE   mrbarker

mrbarker

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:06 PM

I have blu-ray and netflix, and my blu-ray collection, but at the same time I like scanning through channels on my directv and see some movies on those channels I cant find on netflix.. Usually smaller low budget stuff

#16 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:10 PM

Why don't you hold off your decision? I heard a free view for SHO is coming this Friday. I recommend you check out Weeds, Californication, and Dexter. Some of my most favorite shows on TV.

Someone mentioned STARZ freeview is coming. I haven't heard it multiple times to be sure, though.

I also think it is quite easy for you to call the CSR and check if they can offer you a 3 month Showtime on promotion. It works from time to time.

#17 OFFLINE   Mixer

Mixer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:13 PM

I did a poll a while back and Starz won easily out of all of the Premium movie channels. With there being 4 (+1) Starz channels and Starz DoD I am going to let my free Showtime run out and get the Starz Package for at least a month to try it out.
HR20-700:Component, TV:Mitsubishi WS65807, Audio is connected using Digital Toslink cable. OTA:NO, Locals:New York, Native:Off, Network:Yes, eSata:No, AT9 dish, BBC: Yes, Harmony 880. HR20 is wired, Streaming Music and Photos through Twonky Media Server and internet connection is 5MB DSL.

#18 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:23 PM

I think I may cancel HBO for a while and give STARZ a try. When I had STARZ, I felt they had few new movies and lots of reruns.

#19 OFFLINE   DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:29 PM

Well, the nice thing about the STARZ pack is that you get like 10 channels or something like that (all the STARZ and Encores)...no, they're not all in HD, but it's still a lot of channels.
DirecTV since 2001, NFLST, EI, and as of 2/8/07, new AU-9 with 2 HR20-700S (1 HDMI, 1 component/RCA), 6X8 multiswitch, and Samsung LNS3252D 32" LCD...eSata Seagate 750GB...12/30/07 new HR20-700S component connected to Phillips 42PFL5332D 42" LCD and HDMI to a little 20" Dynex LCD

#20 OFFLINE   Rambler

Rambler

Icon

• Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:42 PM

If you like just movies, and only movies, why not consider Blueray + Blockbuster/Netflix? Probably a better deal.

Actually, HD DVD + Blockbuster/Netflix would probably be the better deal. :D

spam firewall