Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: CNBC HD (Channel 355)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
119 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:14 PM

Do you also realize the irony that D* got cnbc before FoxNews??

No, I don't see anything ironic about it at all. FNC and CNBC aren't really competitors, and FNC HD doesn't even exist yet. Right now, DirecTV is grabbing up every HD channel they can get.

But yeah, how does TBS HD look on D*? Seriously, I'm asking.

It looks great, stretch-o-vision issues aside.

#82 OFFLINE   dlt21

dlt21

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:15 PM

It seems this problem with CNBC HD is local to H20-100 and Southern Califormia. Is there anyone out there other than LA area thats having this problem??

#83 OFFLINE   79MI

79MI

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:27 PM

No, I don't see anything ironic about it at all. FNC and CNBC aren't really competitors, and FNC HD doesn't even exist yet. Right now, DirecTV is grabbing up every HD channel they can get.

It looks great, stretch-o-vision issues aside.

Ok, obviously I'm treading on sensitive foreign turf....but I figured Rupert would've made sure FoxN HD would be first to appear news-wise (somehow), especially on D*. I will say TBS HD is "clean" on Dish, but the aspect ratio is inexcusable, just looks stupid.

Still lovin Rush & Science.....MHD is so two months ago (one crapy upconvert after another). LOL

Really, just playin.

#84 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:09 PM

I figured Rupert would've made sure FoxN HD would be first to appear news-wise (somehow), especially on D*.

DirecTV is not about playing games like that when it comes to this HD expansion, as they have shown. They're not going to hold back CNN HD (which is the channel I assume you were talking about) just because FNC HD isn't ready. It goes against what they're trying to accomplish, for no good reason.

#85 OFFLINE   SubSolar

SubSolar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:31 PM

It was working fine for me today until around 2 PM then it started messing up again and still is not working right.

#86 OFFLINE   jediphish

jediphish

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:18 AM

I think CNBC HD+ looks fantastic. Re: those who are complaining about the bottom crawls being too small, I have a hunch that CNBC did some research before they decided on a font size. When I purchased my plasma for my living room, I did a lot of research to see what size I should get for my size room. I end up with a 50" even though my room could support a 60" (based on HD content). In my case, the crawls are perfect. If you think the crawls are too small, you are either sitting too far away from the TV, or your TV is too small for that particular room. Just consider CNBC HD+ to be a test channel for what size TV a room should have.

Love the fact that quotes are still up during commercials.

#87 OFFLINE   ldgatlin

ldgatlin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:37 AM

Got it, looks great!

#88 OFFLINE   scott0702

scott0702

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:21 AM

Searching for satellite seems to be intermittent. I previously mentioned it was affecting the three HR20-100's however now I'm noticing it on my H20-100. My other receivers, HR20-700 and H20-600 are receving the channel without issues.
I called D* tech support however it was basically try to reset and force download the software again but that even has not resolved the issue.

#89 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:24 AM

DirecTV is not about playing games like that when it comes to this HD expansion, as they have shown. They're not going to hold back CNN HD (which is the channel I assume you were talking about) just because FNC HD isn't ready. It goes against what they're trying to accomplish, for no good reason.

Correct. Not to mention that Rupert really isn't calling these shots at this point.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#90 OFFLINE   Dr. Media

Dr. Media

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:29 PM

Jedifish: You are SPOT on - these guys cooked up something pretty brilliant. Not only that, but the graphics, ticker and that bar on the top ALL are obviously in direct-to-air graphical HD. And for any of those purists who were out their criticising this thing before they even saw it, man, were you ever wrong!

Good job, CNBC.

#91 OFFLINE   DirecTVHDFan

DirecTVHDFan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:51 PM

I am pretty certain that this channel is coming from Transponder 22 and for some reason many of us in SoCal are not getting a strong signal on that particula TP.

On one TV I am watching the signal on TP22 go from 0 to the mid 30's sporadically...and on another tv I am watching CNBCHD lose signal message 771 and then regain the picture.

Hopefully this is not a sign of a big problem and it is an easy fix...

Anyone having this problem in SoCal please call direcTV and complain. I have seen many messages on this board regarding this problem, but when I called D* they act like it is the first they are hearing of the problem. This makes them think its my equipment, but I know it isn't.

#92 OFFLINE   SubSolar

SubSolar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:30 PM

I don't get this channel, it's fine during the morning and early afternoon. Then it seems as soon as Fast Money comes on at 2 PM PST, the channel goes to crap.

#93 OFFLINE   MikeR7

MikeR7

Icon

• Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:38 PM

Is the HD channel down right now? I have a black screen. It was fine earlier. And the SD channel is coming in fine.

#94 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:41 PM

Jedifish: You are SPOT on - these guys cooked up something pretty brilliant. Not only that, but the graphics, ticker and that bar on the top ALL are obviously in direct-to-air graphical HD. And for any of those purists who were out their criticising this thing before they even saw it, man, were you ever wrong!

Good job, CNBC.

I agree. I think what they are doing with the channel is very creative and using the 16:9 screen very well.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#95 OFFLINE   SubSolar

SubSolar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:45 PM

I just called DirecTV and they said they are aware of the problem and are working on fixing it. A broadcast problem.

#96 OFFLINE   MikeR7

MikeR7

Icon

• Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:02 PM

It's back now.

#97 OFFLINE   dlt21

dlt21

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:47 PM

Not in Woodland Hills,Ca

#98 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:52 PM

I read an article today that said that ESPNews would be doing something similar to CNBC with their HD channel launching next year. I really like this innovative use of the HD space for channels where the video isn't really the main priority.

#99 OFFLINE   bobpenn

bobpenn

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:06 PM

I live in So Cal and have the problem. I will call D* and add my voice to the mix.

#100 OFFLINE   dlt21

dlt21

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:32 PM

.Everyone who is having this problem needs to let D* know about it.This is not just about CNBCHD but for future HD downloads so that it can be prevented in the future

"I just called DirecTV and they said they are aware of the problem and are working on fixing it. A broadcast problem.
SubSolar "
is offline Report Post Quote this post in a PM Reply With Quote

spam firewall