Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: FX (Channel 248)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
150 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   vegasflyby

vegasflyby

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:26 AM

Does anyone know if "It's always sunny in Philadelphia" is produced in HD? It's quite possibly the funniest show on television (if you have a sick sense of humor, that is).

One of my favorite shows on right now. I don't think it is in HD. I've only ever seen it in 4:3. Plus the season one DVD is out now....not available in HDDVD or BD.

Either way....at least the PQ for the show will be greatly improved. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Hate the 50 SL limit? Call (800-DIRECTV) or write Directv to let them know and join the discussion here.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   techrep

techrep

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:48 AM

The Shield is great and so is Rescue Me but if I have my choice between seeing a sweaty bald head and crack whores or some beautiful T&A in HD I'll take the T&A!!

:thats:
DVR: HR20-100, HR10-250 x 2, TIVO SERIES 3, MOXI
REC: DENON 3808CI
TV : PDP-5060HD
DVD: PANY-BD10A, TOSHIBA-A2

#23 Guest_rcoleman111_*

Guest_rcoleman111_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:26 AM

Right now, there is no bug on the HD channel. I know it won't last, but it's still nice!

No bug is definitely nice. If these channels really feel they need a bug, they should follow the example of the ABC HD bug - small, transparent, and in the corner of the screen.

#24 Guest_rcoleman111_*

Guest_rcoleman111_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:29 AM

Damages is repeating the first 12 episodes in a marathon on Saturday. If HD, it might be worth watching again back-to-back. Or recommending to friends. 8AM E/5AM P

I'm pretty sure "Damages" is HD. Someone commented about MyNetwork showing "Damages" OTA in HD. I've held off on watching the last few episodes, hoping DirecTV would add the HD feed and spare me the misery of watching them in SD.

#25 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:31 AM

I'm pretty sure "Damages" is HD. Someone commented about MyNetwork showing "Damages" OTA in HD. I've held off on watching the last few episodes, hoping DirecTV would add the HD feed and spare me the misery of watching them in SD.

Me too. This morning I scheduled the episodes I have not watched yet to record on Saturday. :):):)
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#26 OFFLINE   AlanSaysYo

AlanSaysYo

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:07 PM

So has anyone seen anything in HD on FX today? I saw several movies in the guide... I wouldn't expect those in HD, but it would be great if they were.

#27 OFFLINE   AcidBluexxx

AcidBluexxx

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:43 PM

Non HD stuff on FX absolutely coming across better visually but I have noticed a sync problem with the audio. Anyone else noticing this?

#28 OFFLINE   506PIR

506PIR

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:32 PM

Ah Yea! Pleased To See , So Far, No Stretch O Vision. Thumbs Up Fx
Now If The Other Channels Would Follow suit
D* Since 1995
DISH:SLIMLINE (WB68)
BEDROOM:40" SAMSUNG LNT-4066F
RECEIVERS:HR20-100
PROTECTION:APC BX1300LCD
OTA:DB2

#29 OFFLINE   Ryan

Ryan

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:56 PM

FX could really do a cool thing, and rerun series filmed in HD from the begining.

#30 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,047 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:25 PM

Non HD stuff on FX absolutely coming across better visually but I have noticed a sync problem with the audio. Anyone else noticing this?

I'm noticing the audio off a bit, too.

#31 OFFLINE   Woody_1

Woody_1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:13 PM

Remember to reset your season passes to the new ch 248 to get the HD versions.

How do I know if it is the new HD 248 or the old SD 248, or more important, how does the DVR know?
I did a new search for Damages, and it brought up what I had set to record already.

Scanning the food network, I saw different shows on the SD vs HD versions.

Too much good viewing to miss, but how am I sure that I have the correct channels set to record?

Thanks!

• Slimline Dish > Zinwell 4x8 multiswitch
  • Series 2 DirecTivo > coax> 2 displays
  • Next Generation Remote Extender (best remote extender I've ever used!)
  • HR20-100 >component> 60" Sony> networked, CID
  • HR20-100> HDMI>Sony 32" LCD,
  • HR20-700 > HDMI>Sammy 42" DLP> networked, CID
  • H20 > Component> 15" TruTech
  • Slingbox A/V

#32 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:27 PM

How do I know if it is the new HD 248 or the old SD 248, or more important, how does the DVR know?
I did a new search for Damages, and it brought up what I had set to record already.

Scanning the food network, I saw different shows on the SD vs HD versions.

Too much good viewing to miss, but how am I sure that I have the correct channels set to record?

Thanks!

When you go to edit favorites, one is listed as FX and the other is FXHD. While they have the same channel number, there is an internal code that is different, and the DVR uses that. IF you have both enabled, the first one in channel # order (the first one after 247) is the HD channel.

While I'm pretty sure it says FXHD in the banner, you can tell the difference with SD content in that the HD channel version is clearer -- it's really 640x480 effectively uncompressed, versus the SD channel which is 480x480 compressed to death.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#33 OFFLINE   elvistcb

elvistcb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:15 PM

Anyone had a series link that works? I could not record off the SD FX ever on series links. I always had to manual set the recording, it would either skip or just not record the SL's. Just curious if I can trust the "new" channel to record. Thanks!
Elvis

#34 OFFLINE   Woody_1

Woody_1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 04:52 AM

When you go to edit favorites, one is listed as FX and the other is FXHD. While they have the same channel number, there is an internal code that is different, and the DVR uses that. IF you have both enabled, the first one in channel # order (the first one after 247) is the HD channel.

While I'm pretty sure it says FXHD in the banner, you can tell the difference with SD content in that the HD channel version is clearer -- it's really 640x480 effectively uncompressed, versus the SD channel which is 480x480 compressed to death.

OK, I did edit the favorites, for all the new HD channels, and deselected the old SD version.
So now the DVR will know to only use the new HD channel to record my season pass, right?

It's confusing to me, in that if I manually input the channel number, I end up at the old SD version (at least on some that I have tried, like the food network, FX, etc). If I channel surf, I end up at the HD channel (248-1), because that's what's in my favorites. I haven't seen a method to tell the DVR which one to use.

Thanks

• Slimline Dish > Zinwell 4x8 multiswitch
  • Series 2 DirecTivo > coax> 2 displays
  • Next Generation Remote Extender (best remote extender I've ever used!)
  • HR20-100 >component> 60" Sony> networked, CID
  • HR20-100> HDMI>Sony 32" LCD,
  • HR20-700 > HDMI>Sammy 42" DLP> networked, CID
  • H20 > Component> 15" TruTech
  • Slingbox A/V

#35 OFFLINE   petergaryr

petergaryr

Passed away April 24, 2010

• Registered
  • 608 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:39 AM

OK, I did edit the favorites, for all the new HD channels, and deselected the old SD version.
So now the DVR will know to only use the new HD channel to record my season pass, right?

That's what I did and it is working.

It's confusing to me, in that if I manually input the channel number, I end up at the old SD version (at least on some that I have tried, like the food network, FX, etc). If I channel surf, I end up at the HD channel (248-1), because that's what's in my favorites. I haven't seen a method to tell the DVR which one to use.

Thanks

Even though you have removed the SD channel from your favorites, it is still a "channel you receive"---so punching in the channel number will still retrieve it.

#36 OFFLINE   DirecTVHDFan

DirecTVHDFan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:51 AM

When does the new season of Nip/Tuck start anyway? I remember I found that info online a while back but I can't seem to find it again. I want to make sure I don't miss the premiere!

*Edit*

I just found this on IMDB

Season 5, Episode 1: Carly Summers
Original Air Date: 30 October 2007

Season 5, Episode 2: Joyce and Sharon Monroe
Original Air Date: 6 November 2007

Season 5, Episode 3: Everett Poe
Original Air Date: 13 November 2007

Season 5, Episode 4: Dawn Budge II
Original Air Date: 20 November 2007

Season 5, Episode 5: Chaz Darling
Original Air Date: 9 October 2007

Season 5, Episode 6: Episode #5.6
Original Air Date: ????

Season 5, Episode 7: Episode #5.7
Original Air Date: 11 December 2007

#37 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:22 AM

Even though you have removed the SD channel from your favorites, it is still a "channel you receive"---so punching in the channel number will still retrieve it.[/B]

This (and the failure to limit searches) is a known fault of the HR20. A fix is promised real soon now. Although some claim that this isn't a bug, it's a feature.

#38 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:27 AM

Not exactly.

If you select the show via a search, you have to be sure that you choose one of the HD channel shows to begin your season link procedure. Searches ignore the favorites list entirely. Once you do select a channel for a show, that channel will be used for the SL. This means that SD & HD channels are separate even though the numbers are the same, and East and West movie channels are also different.

If you start the SL process from the program grid, in favorites mode, this will be automatic as the SD channel won't be a possible choice.

#39 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:29 AM

Anyone had a series link that works? I could not record off the SD FX ever on series links. I always had to manual set the recording, it would either skip or just not record the SL's. Just curious if I can trust the "new" channel to record. Thanks!

Never had an issue with it.

#40 OFFLINE   kenmoo

kenmoo

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:46 AM

Does anyone now if you have a Series Link set up on the FX SD channel (like for Damages) do we have to take it off and reset it for the new FX HD channel? Or will the HR20 auto switch to the HD channel? Both are listed in the Guide.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...