Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: MGM HD (Channel 255)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
127 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   skaneri

skaneri

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:47 AM

Has anyone lost signal and/or content on MGMHD this morning? I am getting a black screen and no sound. No error message, just no pic or sound (signal is apparently there). Every other HD channel from 103 is coming in fine. This occurred at approximately 10:20 am ET. Tried tuning away and back again with no joy. Anyone else having this problem?

Skane

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   ldgatlin

ldgatlin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:36 AM

Got it, looks great! This could be one of my favorite channels!

#83 OFFLINE   weattv

weattv

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:57 AM

Is anyone having a problem Searching for movies on MGMHD?

I took a look at the MGMHD website a few days ago and saw some movies I wanted to record. Today, I went to search for a few "Mad Max" and "The Usual Suspects," and they were not found via the Search by Title function of my HR20-700. I can bring up the guide and manually jump ahead to the days they are on and record them that way, but not via Search.

Even movies that are on today are not showing up. I just did a Search for "Throw Momma from the Train" It found the movie, but the only two listings are showing on TV Land channel 301, even though it is on MGMHD at 9:25am EST today.

Anyone else seeing this problem?

I'm afraid you might need to do more than reset the receiver the make MGM HD channels searchable.

I've lost every "AutoRecord" and manual record command programmed in advance on the HR20.

1. I had to add MGM titles manually, since they weren't found as Auto Records for our #1 Priority List. TCM titles on that list were already in "Matching Programs," marked as Favorites with R*.

2. On "Matching Programs" for that performer, the manual records for MGM both lost their "R". (The TCM titles have remained.)

3. Next, both programs disappeared entirely from the list -- one hours before the showing & another sometime in the past 2 days (& 8 days before the broadcast).

Called Customer Service on the 11th & we reset & sent signals twice. They said to call back if it didn't improve. Called back last night & was told they'll research the problem & call me. I'll post if I hear anything helpful.

#84 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 911 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:31 AM

I had the same problem with MGM HD not being searchable. I reset my receiver and it fixed it.

#85 OFFLINE   weattv

weattv

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:45 AM

Look closely at these movies. Freeze motion frames.

MGM is one-by-one redigitizing all of these movies. They have thousands to go.

They should all be the highest quality we will see because the source will be such high quality.

- Craig

Craig, Can you tell me what's noticeable if looking closely?

Maybe I've been unlucky with the titles I've seen on MGM, but none have looked, to me, like HD (re)masters. They look like my home-upconverted DVD's of those titles. Sent out on MGM HD in 1080i, yes. But 480 transfers.

The Zap2It listings, which match (or are?) DirecTV's, have been pretty accurate in their "HD" logos on other channels. (Starz items this weekend not marked "HD" -- even "The DaVinci Code" -- were not HD.) I don't think either listings have put the "HD" logo by anything on MGM.

However, "Topkapi," on now, looks about the best I've seen -- even though it's very grainy. Looks like it could be an HD remaster of a mediocre source print.

What's the best online programming guide for what is actually HD?

Thanks!
John

#86 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:12 AM

I noticed this channel for the first time yesterday

WOW !!

more movies!!! !!! !!!

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN
DirecTV subscriber since 1996

#87 OFFLINE   RamaX

RamaX

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:37 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: If that isn't a B movie, I don't know what is. Rated a 2.5 out of 10 on Internet Movie Database. http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0075783/ Ohh no, what if Chuck sees me laughing at his movies.

I was gonna make some witty retort about how in the hell could Convoy get only a 2.5 out of 10, i mean its not Citizen Cane but still.....then i kept thinking, why is this guy think Chuck would be mad..?, till i reread and looked at your link....OHHHH....OK Breaker Breaker...yeah i agree with that then....2.5 may actually be generous hehe
HR20-100 : Mitsubishi 65315 LivRm HDMI-DVI & Optical to Sherwood 5.1
HR20-700 : Westinghouse LVM37 1080P Daughter Bdrm (w/puter hooked to it) HDMI
H20 : Westinghouse LVM37 1080P Sons MediaRm (w/ puter and Xbox360) HDMI
R15 : Proscan 37' My bedrm I forget..Coax.?
_____ : _73?__ Home Theater COMING SOON (so far its just some Klipschorns, 2 Technics SEA5-MK2 amps, Technics TT, Audio Control Bijou 5.1 EQ, ADC Spect Analyzr/EQ & dreams of more
Zinwell WB68 switch

#88 OFFLINE   heisman

heisman

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:52 AM

...then i kept thinking, why is this guy think Chuck would be mad..?, till i reread and looked at your link....OHHHH....OK Breaker Breaker...yeah i agree with that then....2.5 may actually be generous hehe

Shhhh....I have already said too much.

http://4q.cc/index.p...00&person=chuck

#89 OFFLINE   Philby

Philby

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:53 AM

I was not receiving this channel yesterday (along with a couple others, SCIFIHD and VSHD, along with an issue with my NFLST HD games) so I called customer service.

Prior to calling I had done a reset via the website, and I don't know if that fixed it or not, because while I was on the phone I suddenly could see SCHFIHD and VSHD, but I still couldn't see MGMHD. The tech support person (not CSR, was transferred there to fix the snafu with my HD NFLST games) told me that MGMHD was not a "live" channel yet and they were still working on it so I might not get it all the time.

I've done a receiver reset (trying to get my HR20 networked, not having much luck...) but haven't retried MGMHD afterwards...

anyone else not able to receive this channel? any troubleshooting tips if it's still not working when I get home?

#90 OFFLINE   RamaX

RamaX

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:01 AM

Shhhh....I have already said too much.

http://4q.cc/index.p...00&person=chuck

THAT is downright RIOTOUS~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HR20-100 : Mitsubishi 65315 LivRm HDMI-DVI & Optical to Sherwood 5.1
HR20-700 : Westinghouse LVM37 1080P Daughter Bdrm (w/puter hooked to it) HDMI
H20 : Westinghouse LVM37 1080P Sons MediaRm (w/ puter and Xbox360) HDMI
R15 : Proscan 37' My bedrm I forget..Coax.?
_____ : _73?__ Home Theater COMING SOON (so far its just some Klipschorns, 2 Technics SEA5-MK2 amps, Technics TT, Audio Control Bijou 5.1 EQ, ADC Spect Analyzr/EQ & dreams of more
Zinwell WB68 switch

#91 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:28 PM

I was curious if any of the MGM movies were edited. I'm assuming not since I was watching The Bounty (the Mel Gibson version) today and I got all the hundreds of topless beauties that liven up this flick. It may not have been recorded but I didn't see the typical HBO/Starz content warnings (Nudity, Violence, etc) before it began.
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#92 OFFLINE   Toddwrtr

Toddwrtr

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:49 AM

Is anyone receiving MGM-HD in DD 5.1?

All I get is DD 2.0 audio for this channel.

#93 OFFLINE   w84mike

w84mike

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:59 AM

Is anyone receiving MGM-HD in DD 5.1?

All I get is DD 2.0 audio for this channel.

Same here. Having said that, though, the movies on this channel *look* great. I watched "Topkapi" yesterday. Released in 1964 with terrific scenery around Greece and Istanbul - it was beautiful to look at and lots of fun to boot. This channel is an excellent addition to the HD lineup. If we could get Fox Movie Channel and Turner Classic Movies in HD, I'd be in movie-lover's heaven. :grin:
Mike
HR24-100, Native On, Harmony ONE remote,
Hitachi 42HDS69 plasma TV, connected to HR24 via HDMI thru
Pioneer VSX-919AH AV receiver, connected to HR24 via HDMI
Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player, Sony PlayStation 3

#94 OFFLINE   Bowtaz3

Bowtaz3

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 01:40 PM

it's pixelating today badly during the Johnny Be Good movie

#95 OFFLINE   sorahl

sorahl

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 05:24 PM

I got a movie request. "Spaceballs"

I'd say it was on the radar.....but it just got Jammed (strawberry I think)

ducking....
DirecTV HR21-100
DirecTV HR20-700 x2
DirecTV Tivo (Hughes SD40) 35 hrs (disconnected)
DirecTV Tivo (DirecTV R10) 70 hrs
DirecTV Tivo (Samsung SIR40) 35 hrs (disconnected)
XM SkyFi (disco'd) XM SkyFi2, BoomBox, PCR, Honda Unit, RoadyXT

#96 OFFLINE   sorahl

sorahl

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 05:25 PM

I too have recorded and watched bunch of things on this channel already but NOTHING with an HD tag....what's with that? or am I wrong to expect when a channel like this comes out that everything should be HD :)

John
DirecTV HR21-100
DirecTV HR20-700 x2
DirecTV Tivo (Hughes SD40) 35 hrs (disconnected)
DirecTV Tivo (DirecTV R10) 70 hrs
DirecTV Tivo (Samsung SIR40) 35 hrs (disconnected)
XM SkyFi (disco'd) XM SkyFi2, BoomBox, PCR, Honda Unit, RoadyXT

#97 OFFLINE   ebrunn

ebrunn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:23 PM

James Bond on right now. Looks pretty good.:D From Russian With love right now, Goldfinger on at 8.

#98 OFFLINE   gquiring

gquiring

Godfather

• Registered
  • 391 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:08 PM

James Bond on right now. Looks pretty good.:D From Russian With love right now, Goldfinger on at 8.

It's 100% gorgous!!! I never thought an old Bond movie could look so good.

#99 OFFLINE   ebrunn

ebrunn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:12 PM

It's 100% gorgous!!! I never thought an old Bond movie could look so good.

I cant wait till they release these on Blu-Ray. I will buy them in a heart beat.

#100 OFFLINE   garbec

garbec

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:49 AM

Bond looked HD to me. :D Still no HD logo in the guide though. :confused:

garbec
www.wetdesert.net

Protected By... spam firewall...And...