Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: MGM HD (Channel 255)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
127 replies to this topic

#126 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:51 PM

I like MGM HD. There are many old movies that I haven't seen in ages. :)

However, I'm not impressed with the video quality of half of the movies
that they broadcast in HD. Some of these movies are less than 20 years
old... the picture is very grainy and dark. Is this caused by bad transfer?
Or does MGM HD really broadcast "true" HD? (compared to HDNet Movies
or UHD)

Thanks! :)

I think that is the cool thing about the New MPEG 4 channels. You can see the film grain. Sometimes movie companies will take more time to clean up the film. But the fact that you are seeing the film grain goes to show that DirecTV is not skimping on bandwidth with the new channels.

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#127 OFFLINE   Pinion413

Pinion413

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:09 PM

I think that is the cool thing about the New MPEG 4 channels. You can see the film grain. Sometimes movie companies will take more time to clean up the film. But the fact that you are seeing the film grain goes to show that DirecTV is not skimping on bandwidth with the new channels.

Nor do they really have to skimp on bandwidth with MPEG4 since it requires significantly less compared to MPEG2. Better picture quality at lower bandwidth, that makes for pluses all around. :D

I for one am glad that all of their HD content will eventually migrate over to MPEG4.
-Chris

My Setup

#128 OFFLINE   Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 04:07 PM

However, I'm not impressed with the video quality of half of the moviesthat they broadcast in HD. Some of these movies are less than 20 yearsold... the picture is very grainy and dark. Is this caused by bad transfer?
Or does MGM HD really broadcast "true" HD? (compared to HDNet Movies
or UHD)

The quality will be a function of the quality of the film copy they have. Hopefully the master copy is in good shape.

The other day I was reading that the studios are complaining about the cost of storing digital master copies versus the film copies. They indicate it costs $12K a year to store digital master versus $1K a year for the film copies. Go figure.:)
Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP
Samsung UN55B8500
Sony KDS60XBR1
Sony BDP-S300
TiVo HD XL DVR

Protected By... spam firewall...And...