Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: MGM HD (Channel 255)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
127 replies to this topic

#121 Guest_rcoleman111_*

Guest_rcoleman111_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2007 - 02:45 AM

Sorry if I missed this answer in the thread somewhere....
Is the content UN-EDITED?

Gutwrencher, the content is definitely UNEDITED, CoachGibbs' comments notwithstanding. I watched RoboCop, a film I've seen a number of times, this evening on MGM. It's an R-rated film that included graphic violence, nudity, and language (the "f" word is used) and it was absolutely unedited from its theatrical version. I've watched a number of other films (see my previous comment about "Manon of the Spring") and none have been edited. It's like HDNet Movies and Universal HD - uncut, commercial-free movies. It's one of the best of the new channels added by DirecTV and it's all HD.

It's not surprising that CoachGibbs has gone silent. That's what posters of bogus information usually do when confronted with the facts.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,670 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 December 2007 - 02:44 PM

Noticed HD tags for the first time on MGM. I guess that is what the 5 bucks is paying for! Now my HD movies searches work better. If only they get that onto all the Starz channels.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#123 ONLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,398 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 02:49 PM

I enjoy Starz, they do a great job of airing films in OAR. Most of the time the movies that are not marked HD, in fact, are. I have only seen a couple shown in Hi-Res 4X3.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#124 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,670 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 December 2007 - 02:53 PM

I enjoy Starz, they do a great job of airing films in OAR. Most of the time the movies that are not marked HD, in fact, are. I have only seen a couple shown in Hi-Res 4X3.

There is a lot of Starz that is real HD that is not marked. Not on the main channel, I think (I am not at my TV).

(I just checked, it is Starz Kids that often doesn't have the HD checked.)
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#125 ONLINE   kathymoore

kathymoore

Legend

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:40 PM

I like MGM HD. There are many old movies that I haven't seen in ages. :)

However, I'm not impressed with the video quality of half of the movies
that they broadcast in HD. Some of these movies are less than 20 years
old... the picture is very grainy and dark. Is this caused by bad transfer?
Or does MGM HD really broadcast "true" HD? (compared to HDNet Movies
or UHD)

Thanks! :)

#126 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:51 PM

I like MGM HD. There are many old movies that I haven't seen in ages. :)

However, I'm not impressed with the video quality of half of the movies
that they broadcast in HD. Some of these movies are less than 20 years
old... the picture is very grainy and dark. Is this caused by bad transfer?
or UHD)

Thanks! :)

I think that is the cool thing about the New MPEG 4 channels. You can see the film grain. Sometimes movie companies will take more time to clean up the film. But the fact that you are seeing the film grain goes to show that DirecTV is not skimping on bandwidth with the new channels.

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

#127 OFFLINE   Pinion413

Pinion413

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:09 PM

I think that is the cool thing about the New MPEG 4 channels. You can see the film grain. Sometimes movie companies will take more time to clean up the film. But the fact that you are seeing the film grain goes to show that DirecTV is not skimping on bandwidth with the new channels.

Nor do they really have to skimp on bandwidth with MPEG4 since it requires significantly less compared to MPEG2. Better picture quality at lower bandwidth, that makes for pluses all around. :D

I for one am glad that all of their HD content will eventually migrate over to MPEG4.
-Chris

My Setup

#128 OFFLINE   Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 04:07 PM

However, I'm not impressed with the video quality of half of the moviesthat they broadcast in HD. Some of these movies are less than 20 yearsold... the picture is very grainy and dark. Is this caused by bad transfer?
or UHD)

The quality will be a function of the quality of the film copy they have. Hopefully the master copy is in good shape.

The other day I was reading that the studios are complaining about the cost of storing digital master copies versus the film copies. They indicate it costs $12K a year to store digital master versus $1K a year for the film copies. Go figure.:)
Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP
Samsung UN55B8500
Sony KDS60XBR1
Sony BDP-S300
TiVo HD XL DVR

Protected By... spam firewall...And...