Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: SciFi Channel (Channel 244)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
465 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   PR Buick

PR Buick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:31 PM

If these shows are in 16:9, they're either HD or at least DVD quality--enough for an animorphic DVD set. Otherwise, there is absolutely no reason for them to be produced in that aspect ratio. For some reason, the network isn't showing them this way... but they should be.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:32 AM

If these shows are in 16:9, they're either HD or at least DVD quality--enough for an animorphic DVD set. Otherwise, there is absolutely no reason for them to be produced in that aspect ratio. For some reason, the network isn't showing them this way... but they should be.

That's often true, but not always. Some shows are produced that way for DVD, which is still SD for the most part. For example, Doctor Who is shot in 16:9 480p, and will be next season, too. BBC says that there are too many special effects to do it in HD. OTOH, Torchwood is HD.

FX's Damages might be 480p, too. Hard to say, although I see artifacting that says it's downrezzed. Hope to find out in a week or two.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#183 OFFLINE   taylorhively

taylorhively

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:41 AM

What's with all this debate? If it's not in HD I'm not even going to watch it on the HD channel, because I record it on DVR it would just be a waste of space.

SD on the HD channel looks significantly better than the SD channel on a 60" 1920x1080 TV. Since it's unconverted 480i to 1080i prior to broadcast maintaining the detail as opposed to being downscaled from 720x480 to 480x480 by D* the upscaled to 1080i on the receiver end, which looks pretty ugly.

That translates in to a 'great' vs. 'bad' picture between the two channels even though it's all the same SD content. I guess LCD TVs are not very forgiving even with all of the settings tweaked.

But if you can't tell with your TV, then you're absolutely right. Why waste the disk space.
5 DirecTV HD DVRs: HR20-700, HR20-700, HR22-100, HR21-100, HR24-500
60" Sony SXRB HD

#184 OFFLINE   beestea

beestea

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:50 AM

SD on the HD channel looks significantly better than the SD channel on a 60" 1920x1080 TV. Since it's unconverted 480i to 1080i prior to broadcast maintaining the detail as opposed to being downscaled from 720x480 to 480x480 by D* the upscaled to 1080i on the receiver end, which looks pretty ugly.

That translates in to a 'great' vs. 'bad' picture between the two channels even though it's all the same SD content. I guess LCD TVs are not very forgiving even with all of the settings tweaked.

I completely agree with you here... some of the pre-broadcast upconverted (and even stretched) material on the HD channels looks far superior to anything my Plasma or my HR20 can do with normal SD content.

Aside from the fat actors, some of the stretched SD content on TNT, USA, etc looks pretty close to HD in my opinion.

I also think SCI-FI should absolutely pre-zoom the window boxed material for this same reason. It would be just like a few years ago with the FOX Enhanced Definition Widescreen (or whatever they were calling their 480p)

#185 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:13 AM

I still don't see it in my program. This is the next round of HD channels and the second time I may have to do a Menu Reset to get them. :) Not a big deal for me, but I worry about those others...
- Andy
My Setup - (Computer Setup Included)
HR20-700 - / - / H20-100 -
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE<-- to DBSTalk.com and become a DBSTalk Club Member!

#186 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:05 AM

If you "believe" what you see in ghost hunters, you should be able to "believe" it's in HD also whether it is or not. :lol:

There's not much to "believe" in Ghost Hunters. They generally debunk everything.

If I'm gonna watch a show about hunting ghosts, I'd appreciate them finding some...

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#187 OFFLINE   rbean

rbean

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:23 AM

If Sci-Fi doesn't come up with some more good series they will be in trouble, IMHO. after BSG ends they will only have SG-A and Eureka that are any good.
There are two sides to every issue, my side and the wrong side.

#188 OFFLINE   PMX4

PMX4

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:33 AM

If Sci-Fi doesn't come up with some more good series they will be in trouble, IMHO. after BSG ends they will only have SG-A and Eureka that are any good.

They are currently working on third Stargate series, they announced about it awhile ago on the Gateworld site.

#189 OFFLINE   beestea

beestea

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:36 AM

They are currently working on third Stargate series, they announced about it awhile ago on the Gateworld site.

Wasn't SciFi going to have a BSG spin off called Caprica?

#190 OFFLINE   vertigo235

vertigo235

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:37 AM

Have they shown anything in HD yet? I'm guessing Sci-Fi isn't ready for prime time yet.

#191 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:44 AM

Wasn't SciFi going to have a BSG spin off called Caprica?

SciFi puts out press releases at the drop of a hat, and they often don't follow through on most of them. I think Caprica has fallen by the way side.

#192 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:47 AM

I was actually ready to accuse D* of upconverting the SD channel in order to have an exclusive, until someone posted the C-band info for Sci-Fi HD.

So it does exist, but evidently some of their equipment has not been updated to HD, so they don't really show HD yet.

Still, the SD shows on the HD channel look much improved over the SD channel.

#193 OFFLINE   Jon D

Jon D

Godfather

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:57 AM

There's not much to "believe" in Ghost Hunters. They generally debunk everything.

If I'm gonna watch a show about hunting ghosts, I'd appreciate them finding some...

I guess the fact that it's on the SciFi channel vice the science channel pretty much says it all.

#194 OFFLINE   FlyBono24

FlyBono24

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:02 AM

Then you need to see some of the lighthouse episodes... or the Eastern Penitentiary...

Holy crap, I don't think I've ever been freaked out more from something I saw on TV... almost as scary as the time I really experienced something paranormal!

But it's true, there are some bad episodes where there are a lot of stories but they get NOTHING on tape or audio...

#195 OFFLINE   Jish

Jish

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:08 AM

For me the real test will come on Friday when Stargate Atlantis is broadcast - if it (a newer episode) is not in HD or at least 16x9 and UniversalHD is broadcasting older episodes in HD (or 16x9) that will tell me something about SciFi "HD".

#196 OFFLINE   Jon D

Jon D

Godfather

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:11 AM

Have they shown anything in HD yet? I'm guessing Sci-Fi isn't ready for prime time yet.

My opinion is that they have the transmission equipment in place, but the production equipment isn't quite finished yet. So. They are simply piping the SD feed over the HD transmission equipment. Once the production equipment is finished all the 16:9 stuff will be full wide screen in either native or upconverted HD depending on the age of the program. And, you'll see SciFiHD in the bottom right corner of your TV whether the program is 16:9 or 4:3.

Along with all that. I doubt DirecTV would have agreed to launch the channel now if SciFi had not assured them that the ACTUAL HD channel would soon be ready to deliver.

#197 OFFLINE   FlyBono24

FlyBono24

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:16 AM

My opinion is that they have the transmission equipment in place, but the production equipment isn't quite finished yet. So. They are simply piping the SD feed over the HD transmission equipment. Once the production equipment is finished all the 16:9 stuff will be full wide screen in either native or upconverted HD depending on the age of the program. And, you'll see SciFiHD in the bottom right corner of your TV whether the program is 16:9 or 4:3.

Along with all that. I doubt DirecTV would have agreed to launch the channel now if SciFi had not assured them that the ACTUAL HD channel would soon be ready to deliver.

I've noticed that too. The SciFi logo was "inside" the 4:3 picture, instead of in the black area in the pillar bars (like when Fox is showing The Simpsons)... so it didn't even look like the channel was sending an HD picture yet...

#198 OFFLINE   Jish

Jish

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:32 AM

Last evening during Ghost Hunters - even though the SciFi logo was inside the picture there was an instance or 2 that HD did appear in the black area to the right - but did not remain there long.

I've noticed that too. The SciFi logo was "inside" the 4:3 picture, instead of in the black area in the pillar bars (like when Fox is showing The Simpsons)... so it didn't even look like the channel was sending an HD picture yet...

#199 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:48 AM

Then you need to see some of the lighthouse episodes... or the Eastern Penitentiary... .

No, I've seen them all, and the ones you mention are the only ones I remember.:)

They are too quick to debunk...just because the air conditioning can thump occasionally, doesn't mean the a/c is the ONLY thing that goes thump.

Sorry for the O.T., but for a show called "Ghost Hunters," they are just too skeptical.

#200 OFFLINE   vertigo235

vertigo235

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:01 AM

Yup I agree, looks like they aren't quite ready for launch yet. Hopefully it won't be much longer till they are up and going.

spam firewall