Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: SciFi Channel (Channel 244)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
465 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   Jnetty99

Jnetty99

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:24 AM

I can't read this entire thread, but man was i disappointed when i got home last night to see Stargate SG1 at 6pm in 4:3 with letterbox.
I was hoping to see SGA and other shows in 16:9.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   MichaelP

MichaelP

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:39 AM

Is anyone else still getting at 771 - searching for signal error on SciFi HD?

That's what I was getting at about 6 AM PDT on Wednesday, however when I got home from work and tuned to the channel about 7 PM PDT I had it. But later that same evening it was gone again. I checked the signal strength on the sat and TPs 2, 4, and 6 were at 60, 60 and 68 respectively. Now they are down in the 50s.

What in the world is going on?
Samsung LN-S3251D
DirecTV HR20-700s
Sony STR-DG800 w/JBL SCS145.5S Speakers
Sony DVP-NC85H/B
 tv
Logitech Harmony 880 Remote

#203 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,868 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:40 AM

As far as I know we're the first people to see SciFiHD so it's normal to expect it to take some time to ramp up. For me, they've got until next month when the BSG movie airs.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#204 OFFLINE   waynenm

waynenm

I like this stuff.

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:52 AM

Is anyone else still getting at 771 - searching for signal error on SciFi HD?

That's what I was getting at about 6 AM PDT on Wednesday, however when I got home from work and tuned to the channel about 7 PM PDT I had it. But later that same evening it was gone again. I checked the signal strength on the sat and TPs 2, 4, and 6 were at 60, 60 and 68 respectively. Now they are down in the 50s.

What in the world is going on?

Sounds like you need a realignment. Try this thread:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=99528
\//
HR24-500 Native Off, 2TB internal Drive
HR22-100 Native Off, 2TB eSata External Drive
(WD20EVDS in an Antec MX-1)
HDMI Gefen 1:2 HDMI Splitter
LG BD-390 Blu-ray streaming Netflix
Hardwired Ethernet
Sony KDL-40V2500 + KLV-S23A10
Sirius/XM Radio all over the place
Harmony One

#205 OFFLINE   Peapod

Peapod

Godfather

• Registered
  • 342 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:06 AM

As far as I know we're the first people to see SciFiHD so it's normal to expect it to take some time to ramp up. For me, they've got until next month when the BSG movie airs.

If Friday night's programming also is not in HD as the schedule suggests, then I would have to say that what we are looking at is not SciFiHD.

#206 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:21 AM

Today Threshold is being shown on ScifiHD, Threshold was broadcast in HD on NBC originally, Threshold is not in HD on ScifiHD. Draw your own conclusions
“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.” - Ayn Rand

#207 OFFLINE   jbellanca

jbellanca

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:43 AM

They are currently working on third Stargate series, they announced about it awhile ago on the Gateworld site.

True, but with MGM HD launching soon, I gotta wonder if the new Stargate will be on their own channel so they don't have to worry about SciFi renewing (or not renewing, like SG-1).

#208 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:50 AM

Today Threshold is being shown on ScifiHD, Threshold was broadcast in HD on NBC originally, Threshold is not in HD on ScifiHD. Draw your own conclusions

My conclusion already was that D* was upconverting the SD channel to 1080i until I saw this, which someone posted earlier:

https://www.nbcunetw...?NetworkId=MjE=

So evidently D* is simply rebroadcasting what Sci-Fi HD is sending, which is not yet HD.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#209 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:53 AM

So far SciFi HD channel has been very disappointing,hopefully they'll start showing programs in HD soon,can't wait to see reruns of SG1 in HD:)

#210 OFFLINE   MichaelP

MichaelP

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:04 AM

After spending some quality time this morning with a D* CSR is looks like I've got a bad splice from my last service call, when my LNB was replaced. So I've got another service call for Saturday. The good news is that it looks like the problem will be easy to fix (I hope!); the bad news is no Sci Fi HD Friday for me. Cry for me Argentina!
Samsung LN-S3251D
DirecTV HR20-700s
Sony STR-DG800 w/JBL SCS145.5S Speakers
Sony DVP-NC85H/B
 tv
Logitech Harmony 880 Remote

#211 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:06 AM

.... Threshold was broadcast in HD on NBC originally ....

Quite the trick since it was originally on CBS. :)
For the record, the alien lineup that fall was:

ABC: Invasion
CBS: Threshold
NBC: Surface
-GA

#212 OFFLINE   Jnetty99

Jnetty99

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:13 AM

My conclusion already was that D* was upconverting the SD channel to 1080i until I saw this, which someone posted earlier:

https://www.nbcunetw...?NetworkId=MjE=

So evidently D* is simply rebroadcasting what Sci-Fi HD is sending, which is not yet HD.

how do you read and understand that information?

#213 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:18 AM

I was thinking the same thing. :lol:
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#214 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:23 AM

how do you read and understand that information?

The page shows the technical specifications for cable or satellite companies that wish to receive and rebroadcast Sci-Fi HD.

It lists the C-band satellite and transponder where it can be found, and gives phone numbers for equipment ordering and technical assistance.

It doesn't matter whether we can understand all the little details--the fact that it is giving the details is pretty good evidence.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#215 OFFLINE   CKeim

CKeim

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:28 PM

Hmm... did anyone else see the HD bug during Ghost Hunters (this week's episode) last night? They had SciFi HD onscreen (the HD spilled into the pillar) and then they overlaid a TNT-style moving promo - in HD - in the left-hand corner. It ran through the pillar and over the 4x3 SD program.

SciFi is definitely sending an HD feed to D*, but it isn't doing much yet.

#216 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:28 PM

OK you got me on that one, however that does not change the fact that these episodes were originally HD and Scifi is broadcasting them 4:3.
“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.” - Ayn Rand

#217 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 01:28 PM

I don't know how their costs work, but the show is a huge (International) hit and a marquee show for the BBC. Not presenting it in HD is retardis.

:D :lol: :D

retardis!!! (I'm just getting caught up on this thread)

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#218 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Registered
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 01:28 PM

I can't read this entire thread, but man was i disappointed when i got home last night to see Stargate SG1 at 6pm in 4:3 with letterbox.
I was hoping to see SGA and other shows in 16:9.

What year was the episode? The early years were not 16:9. The recent episodes are at least letterbox. So unless they really mess up (like AE-HD & Hist-HD) it should be good.

#219 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 01:43 PM

What year was the episode? The early years were not 16:9. The recent episodes are at least letterbox. So unless they really mess up (like AE-HD & Hist-HD) it should be good.

I read somewhere in a dbs post that when SG1 originally aired on showtime,it was in HD?

#220 OFFLINE   JonW

JonW

Icon

• Registered
  • 526 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:32 PM

I read somewhere in a dbs post that when SG1 originally aired on showtime,it was in HD?

Sure was, and then they dumped it for some loser show about ex-Astronauts trying to save the world from alien invasion.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...