Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: SciFi Channel (Channel 244)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
465 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:32 PM

I read somewhere in a dbs post that when SG1 originally aired on showtime,it was in HD?

SG1 started on Showtime in 1997 and ran for 5 years. There was no Showtime HD at that time while it was on.
Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP
Samsung UN55B8500
Sony KDS60XBR1
Sony BDP-S300
TiVo HD XL DVR

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:40 PM

True, but with MGM HD launching soon, I gotta wonder if the new Stargate will be on their own channel so they don't have to worry about SciFi renewing (or not renewing, like SG-1).

MGM-HD is movies only... so probably not.

Plus, moving a show which gets most of it's viewers from an SD channel (Sci-Fi) to an HD only channel (MGM-HD) would be like shooting yourself in the foot...

~Alan

#223 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:43 PM

What year was the episode? The early years were not 16:9. The recent episodes are at least letterbox.

All seasons of SG:1 are presented in 16x9 on the DVD sets (I own the first season... after seeing it on sale years ago)... and all episodes are presented in letterbox on Sci-Fi... though the first two (?) seasons are edited for content on Sci-Fi (language, violence, and nudity in the case of the pilot episode).

~Alan

#224 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:53 PM

For the record, the alien lineup that fall was:

ABC: Invasion
CBS: Threshold
NBC: Surface

Also of interest to note is the companies behind the shows:

ABC: Invasion (Warner Bros.)
CBS: Threshold (Paramount)
NBC: Surface (Universal)

Some other Sci-Fi shows off the top of my head:

Stargate Atlantis (MGM)
Eureka (Universal)
Battlestar Galactica (Universal)
Doctor Who (BBC/Warner Bros)
Stargate SG-1 (Cancelled) (MGM)
Painkiller Jane (Cancelled) (Starz)
The Dresden Files (Cancelled) (Lionsgate)
Tru Calling (Fox)
Bionic Woman (Universal)
Chuck (Warner Bros.)
Heroes (Universal)

~Alan

#225 OFFLINE   speedy4022

speedy4022

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:53 PM

As far as I know we're the first people to see SciFiHD so it's normal to expect it to take some time to ramp up. For me, they've got until next month when the BSG movie airs.

You are way to forgiving I mean this has to have been in the works for awhile and from what I can tell SciFiHD has no HD programming at all.
Mike
Directv user since 96 :)

#226 OFFLINE   Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:58 PM

All seasons of SG:1 are presented in 16x9 on the DVD sets (I own the first season... after seeing it on sale years ago)... and all episodes are presented in letterbox on Sci-Fi... though the first two (?) seasons are edited for content on Sci-Fi (language, violence, and nudity in the case of the pilot episode).
~Alan

If MGM was smart they would remaster the SG1 series and release them in HD. Leterbox is ok but I want the higher resolution. If they can do it to Hogan's Heroes that gotta be able to do it with SG1. And I would guess that if that happens, it would be shown on the new MGM HD channel.

Also I read that SciFi was only licensed to show Enterprise in SD/Letterbox and not HD. Not sure if that is true or not. We'll find out.
Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP
Samsung UN55B8500
Sony KDS60XBR1
Sony BDP-S300
TiVo HD XL DVR

#227 OFFLINE   msfaulk

msfaulk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:39 PM

I was quite dissapointed when I saw SCI-FI HD. The pillar boxing along with the letter boxing is crap. i can only hope that when SGA comes on it fits my screen like it does on Universal HD.

Mike
LG 55LX9500 3D LED, Samsung 52" LCD, Vizio 26" LED,
HR24-500, HR20-700, H21-100, R16 X3, MRV
Harmony 900, DTV since 1999
Beer...The elixir of life

#228 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:47 PM

Has any true full screen HD appeared on SCIFI yet???

#229 OFFLINE   taylorhively

taylorhively

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:09 PM

SG-1 has only been HD for either the last 4 seasons I believe. I think season 7 was the first to be shot in HD but I'm not totally sure.

All of Atlantis has been HD.

EDIT:
I guess earlier seasons were shot on film. I guess that means they would have been transfered to video via HD making all seasons HD. So I guess I don't know what I'm talking about.

#230 OFFLINE   ronsm

ronsm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:49 PM

Also I read that SciFi was only licensed to show Enterprise in SD/Letterbox and not HD. Not sure if that is true or not. We'll find out.

That makes sense, because Enterprise is already HD on HDnet. They got there first, so to speak. Kinda like BBC getting Torchwood in SD, and HDnet getting it in HD. Besides, SciFi didn't have HD capability when the contracts were made, so they probably didn't want to pay for it

#231 OFFLINE   Dirk

Dirk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:14 PM

I just hope that tomorrow night Stargate Atlantis is in HD.

Also Hi this is my first post. :D I just got Directv 3 weeks ago and I am loving it so far. I just want the waivers to hurry up. lol.

#232 OFFLINE   Mind Voyager

Mind Voyager

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:17 PM

SG-1 has only been HD for either the last 4 seasons I believe. I think season 7 was the first to be shot in HD but I'm not totally sure.

All of Atlantis has been HD.

EDIT:
I guess earlier seasons were shot on film. I guess that means they would have been transfered to video via HD making all seasons HD. So I guess I don't know what I'm talking about.

I believe you were closer to being right before you edited this :) I know they started off with 16mm film. At some point (3rd season?), I'm pretty sure they went to some flavor of 35mm film. Near the end (perhaps 7, perhaps later, I do not have the info onhand) they did start shooting with HD cameras. As has been discussed in other places, anything done on film could be re-scanned into high-def. However, I seriously doubt at this point that SG-1 has had this done -- that would have been an awful lot of expense for a TV show. Someone could certainly go back now and re-scan SG-1 into HD (like they did with Star Trek: The Original Series), although I would imagine all the effects shots were done in SD video and would only be able to be upconverted instead of being "true" HD.

The episodes of Atlantis that have shown on UHD were filmed in HD, but I'm not so sure about the effects shots. I suspect those were also done at a SD resolution, being that at the time the only way to view the show was in SD. It always seems to go very soft during any kind of special effect (look at the gate in a regular shot when no effects are going on, and then look at it during a "kawoosh" - all the symbols around it go fuzzy)

#233 OFFLINE   FlyBono24

FlyBono24

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:34 PM

No, I've seen them all, and the ones you mention are the only ones I remember.:)

They are too quick to debunk...just because the air conditioning can thump occasionally, doesn't mean the a/c is the ONLY thing that goes thump.

Sorry for the O.T., but for a show called "Ghost Hunters," they are just too skeptical.

I think they mentioned once that they try to take a scientific approach to everything, and if something would not (theoretically) hold up in a courtroom as "evidence", then it was not going to pass by their standards.

So if there's something on film that could be an "orb", or it could be a speck of dust floating around... if there's any doubt in their mind, they are going to debunk it and just say it's dust... even if it is an orb, if it is not undisputable evidence, they'll toss it out.

#234 OFFLINE   tealcomp

tealcomp

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:34 PM

Don't get me started. ECW is hardly science fiction....:nono:

LOL, not worth seeing in SD let alone HD, of course that is my opinion; yours may vary :)

-Dan

#235 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:44 PM

This would totally bum me out as it's one show i'm looking forward to in HD - 4 hours every Monday.
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#236 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:45 PM

I just hope that tomorrow night Stargate Atlantis is in HD.

Also Hi this is my first post. :D I just got Directv 3 weeks ago and I am loving it so far. I just want the waivers to hurry up. lol.

:welcome_s
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#237 OFFLINE   MrKlaatu

MrKlaatu

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:01 PM

Three or four years ago, I started to watch SG-1 from the beginning in order. I watched them all. The first 4 (or was it 5) seasons were in 4:3 and then it switched to 16:9 -- I think the year it became a SciFi original (instead of Showtime).

#238 OFFLINE   MrKlaatu

MrKlaatu

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:02 PM

:D :lol: :D

retardis!!! (I'm just getting caught up on this thread)

Finally someone picked up on that.

#239 OFFLINE   generalpatton78

generalpatton78

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:03 PM

This would totally bum me out as it's one show i'm looking forward to in HD - 4 hours every Monday.

SCifi does NOT have the rights to the HD Enterprise. Mark Cuban and HDNET has been doing deals for the exclusive rights to the HD portion of shows for years. That said SG1 and Atlantis have been HD internationally for years and if Scifi doesn't have the rights to them somebody at scifi should be fired.

#240 OFFLINE   vertigo235

vertigo235

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:29 PM

yeesh, what good is even starting an HD Network if you can't air anything in HD? I surely hope they renegotiate some deals!

spam firewall