Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: SciFi Channel (Channel 244)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
465 replies to this topic

#261 OFFLINE   gphvid

gphvid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, Ca

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:18 AM

[quote name='Wire Paladin']If MGM was smart they would remaster the SG1 series and release them in HD. Leterbox is ok but I want the higher resolution. If they can do it to Hogan's Heroes that gotta be able to do it with SG1. And I would guess that if that happens, it would be shown on the new MGM HD channel.

SG:A is produced in HD and the episodes downcoverted to SD for SciFi to air. So when they licensed the show for future seasons, it should include the HD versions as well. For the past seasons' episodes, because they appear on HDNET in HD, don't expect SciFi to get them that way...yet. I would, however, expect SG:A to be in HD tonight.

I do know that many of the new scripted shows are posted in HD and then SD downconversions are made. Happens for pretty much all the network shows, except some of the cheaper "reality" shows and older ones that predate HD.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#262 OFFLINE   Jish

Jish

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:05 AM

Another nope - I posted earlier that it appeared during Ghost Hunters Wed Night.

First appearance of the SciFi HD bug, which is a good sign as well. Let's keep our fingers crossed for SGA in HD.

At first I thought it was Enterprise in HD, because of the actor who plays Malcolm, Enterprise Armory Officer, being a character in the Species flick.

#263 OFFLINE   Koyukon

Koyukon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:39 AM

LMAO! !rolling I agree, this forum is great! The funny thing is that I didn't know he was using a comic book icon, since I don't read comic books. :D

me either, i just thought it was cool looking and grabbed it out of avatars r' us.:)
when the day comes, it will be here.

#264 OFFLINE   ansek

ansek

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:51 AM

[quote name='gphvid'][quote name='Wire Paladin']If MGM was smart they would remaster the SG1 series and release them in HD. Leterbox is ok but I want the higher resolution. If they can do it to Hogan's Heroes that gotta be able to do it with SG1. And I would guess that if that happens, it would be shown on the new MGM HD channel.

SG:A is produced in HD and the episodes downcoverted to SD for SciFi to air. So when they licensed the show for future seasons, it should include the HD versions as well. For the past seasons' episodes, because they appear on HDNET in HD, don't expect SciFi to get them that way...yet. I would, however, expect SG:A to be in HD tonight.

I do know that many of the new scripted shows are posted in HD and then SD downconversions are made. Happens for pretty much all the network shows, except some of the cheaper "reality" shows and older ones that predate HD.[/QUOTE]

The past episodes of SG:A appear on UHD not HDNET.

#265 OFFLINE   generalpatton78

generalpatton78

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:10 AM

[quote name='ansek'][quote name='gphvid']

The past episodes of SG:A appear on UHD not HDNET.[/QUOTE]

Thanks you just saved me a post, oh wait......

#266 OFFLINE   MichaelP

MichaelP

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:13 AM

If MGM was smart they would remaster the SG1 series and release them in HD.

This has already been done. When SG-1 started being released on DVD all the eps are in 1.78:1 aspect ratio and "mastered in high definition." At least that is what it says on the box. My box sets of season 1-4 are not Hi Def discs, of course, but the eps have been mastered that way.

So it is not completely out of the realm of possibility that we will get all eps of SG-1 on Sci Fi HD in Hi Def from now on.
Samsung LN-S3251D
DirecTV HR20-700s
Sony STR-DG800 w/JBL SCS145.5S Speakers
Sony DVP-NC85H/B
 tv
Logitech Harmony 880 Remote

#267 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,892 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 08:32 AM

SciFi is the one channel I've been waiting for. It was/is #1 on my HD wish list. Yeah, I'm a geek...what of it? :guck:

Tonight if SG: Atlantis isn't in HD I'm gonna lose it....:box:

Seriously, the show is produced in HD...it's a "SciFi Original"...there's no excuse for is to be boxed in any way! :bad_nono:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#268 OFFLINE   speedy4022

speedy4022

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:29 PM

I am thinking stargate Alantis will be in HD next weeks TV guide lists it in HD. I don't put too much stock in TV guides listings but it also listed the Species movie in HD so it could be accurate. It also lists this Saturdays movies on Scfi in HD.
Mike
Directv user since 96 :)

#269 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,892 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:48 PM

I am thinking stargate Alantis will be in HD next weeks TV guide lists it in HD. I don't put too much stock in TV guides listings but it also listed the Species movie in HD so it could be accurate. It also lists this Saturdays movies on Scfi in HD.

But..D* has it listed as LB but no HD.

So far shows have been letter boxed, piller boxed, or BOTH :eek2: :scratchin

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#270 OFFLINE   speedy4022

speedy4022

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:50 PM

Mike

I think we are not going to know for sure until these shows air.:confused:
Mike
Directv user since 96 :)

#271 OFFLINE   vertigo235

vertigo235

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:48 PM

Mike

Seriously trusting the DirecTV guide data is a big mistake, lots of items show HD that really aren't, I'm thinking they are still mirroring the SD channel data right now.

Case and point, Species Awakening was not listed as HD, but it was in HD.

#272 OFFLINE   vertigo235

vertigo235

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:01 PM

Bionic Woman in HD right now, looking good for SGA tonight.

#273 OFFLINE   Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:01 PM

Cool

Bionic woman is in true HD on Sci-Fi right now.
Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP
Samsung UN55B8500
Sony KDS60XBR1
Sony BDP-S300
TiVo HD XL DVR

#274 OFFLINE   MrKlaatu

MrKlaatu

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:04 PM

Here's a screen cap from tonights Stargate:Atlantis on SciFiHD:

Posted Image

#275 OFFLINE   petergaryr

petergaryr

Passed away April 24, 2010

• Registered
  • 608 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:06 PM

Bionic Woman in HD right now, looking good for SGA tonight.

Yup. Looking better than the NBC broadcast.

#276 OFFLINE   skyboysea

skyboysea

Icon

• Registered
  • 540 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:15 PM

Agreed. I'm going to switch the SL to SCIFI HD.

#277 OFFLINE   CKeim

CKeim

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:19 PM

Here's a screen cap from tonights Stargate:Atlantis on SciFiHD:

Nice.

#278 OFFLINE   petergaryr

petergaryr

Passed away April 24, 2010

• Registered
  • 608 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:27 PM

Just realized that it is also in 5.1 surround. Nice. Our local NBC affilate only passes 2.0.

It makes a difference.

#279 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,892 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:43 PM

Seriously trusting the DirecTV guide data is a big mistake, lots of items show HD that really aren't, I'm thinking they are still mirroring the SD channel data right now.

Case and point, Species Awakening was not listed as HD, but it was in HD.

I know that the new channels will have incomplete/inaccurate data. My point is not knowing if Atlantis is or isn't..... :guck:

Just sniping...being sarcastic... :D

As for the guide, yes it contains incorrect info from time to time. However, for the most part I do trust the guide. And, I don't think it's mistake.

I don't see constant problems with the guide. I don't really count but I only notice a couple errors in a week. If you ratio the number of errors in the thousands of guide entries, I think you'll find the error rate to be fractions of a percent.

That doesn't count missing HD symbols. That is usually a higher error rate. :rolleyes:

If it were that major there would be whole threads devoted to it on the scale of DLB. I don't mean to minimize or dismiss problems. I know they do exist but there's no reason to not trust the guide.

The guide data comes from the content providers and is not generated by D*. The content providers are responsible for its accruacy. Errors that have the wrong show or episode is also the content providers problem. How the HR20 software interprets and uses the data it has is a whole other story and needs serious attention by D*. ;)

Seriously, I know all about the guide and it's problems....it was sacasm not complete ignorance.

Mike

µß

#280 OFFLINE   vertigo235

vertigo235

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:49 PM

It does look great, Life looked excellent on USA HD too, the network channels are shaming NBC.

Another plus, the SciFi HD Bug is very subtle, almost not noticble at times. the NBC promotion bugs are pretty annoying.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...