Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: SciFi Channel (Channel 244)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
465 replies to this topic

#421 OFFLINE   MrKlaatu

MrKlaatu

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:01 AM

Is it just that I haven't caught anything in HD yet? Or should I be seeing a SciFiHD" logo when watching this channel? I am beginning to think that I don't have the HD channel.

There is definitely a SciFiHD logo when watching HD shows. I haven't watched any SD on it since the launch so not sure about that.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#422 OFFLINE   cajun_fan

cajun_fan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:13 AM

There is definitely a SciFiHD logo when watching HD shows. I haven't watched any SD on it since the launch so not sure about that.

Thanks, but on other HD channels, even though something might not be in HD, the log for that channel is always "....HD", but I NEVER see the "SciFiHD" logo when watching what I THINK is the HD version.

#423 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:24 AM

There is a SciFi HD logo and I see it all the time. Atlantis is the only program on SciFi I watched this week and it was in HD and had the logo.

#424 OFFLINE   cajun_fan

cajun_fan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:59 AM

There is a SciFi HD logo and I see it all the time. Atlantis is the only program on SciFi I watched this week and it was in HD and had the logo.

Thanks, that is what I feared. I will have to go back and try to figure out why I don't have the HD version.

#425 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:38 PM

Thanks, that is what I feared. I will have to go back and try to figure out why I don't have the HD version.

If you have series links on the SD version you will have to delete them and reset them on the HD version. Maybe that's your problem. Pull up the guide and go to 244 and you should see 2 of them, the first one is HD the other is not.

And you do know you need a 5 LNB dish and an MPEG4 receiver like the HR20 or H20 to get them?

Just some things to check. There have been several things in HD so far, mostly just first run shows and movies.

#426 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 911 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:03 PM

When Sci Fi HD is showing SD it has the regular Sci Fi logo. When they show something in HD then they dhow the Sci Fi HD logo.

#427 OFFLINE   cajun_fan

cajun_fan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:51 PM

If you have series links on the SD version you will have to delete them and reset them on the HD version. Maybe that's your problem. Pull up the guide and go to 244 and you should see 2 of them, the first one is HD the other is not.

And you do know you need a 5 LNB dish and an MPEG4 receiver like the HR20 or H20 to get them?

Just some things to check. There have been several things in HD so far, mostly just first run shows and movies.

Yes, I have all of the req'd equipment, and I am getting all of the other channels no prob.

And this is not really a S.L. issue. on 10/03 I deleted the SD channel 244 from my favs list, and added the HD version. I just noticed yesterday that the quality did not seem right, so went back in and added the SD channel, and flipped back and forth to see if I could see a diff, which I did not. I then thought it just wasn't in HD.

But then I also noticed that the logo was the same on HD and SD. All other HD channels have a new logo stating "HD" on them (e.g., "CCNHD. "TNTHD" etc.)

But if according to betterdan's post, SciFi only shows the log when something is in HD??

#428 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 911 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:54 PM

Here's an easy way for you to tell if you are seeing the HD channel. Set your HR20 to stretch SD material. If you still see side bars then you are watching SCI FI HD. If it is now stretched you are watching regular SCI FI.
You could also press the info button and see if it says Sci FI HD which it does say in the banner.

#429 OFFLINE   cajun_fan

cajun_fan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:02 PM

Here's an easy way for you to tell if you are seeing the HD channel. Set your HR20 to stretch SD material. If you still see side bars then you are watching SCI FI HD. If it is now stretched you are watching regular SCI FI.
You could also press the info button and see if it says Sci FI HD which it does say in the banner.

Thanks for all the help guys. I will get this settled in just a bit when I get home.

#430 OFFLINE   jasonblair

jasonblair

Icon

• Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:35 AM

When Sci Fi HD is showing SD it has the regular Sci Fi logo. When they show something in HD then they dhow the Sci Fi HD logo.

I tunes in to Star Trek Enterprise last night, and it was NOT in HD, and it HAD the HD logo bug on the screen.

I was so upset! Why even have the channel labelled as "SciFiHD" when they don't even show Star Trek Enterprise in HD?!?! What's the point of having the channel in HD at all? Might as well just call it the "SciFiSDUpconvert" channel.

#431 OFFLINE   petergaryr

petergaryr

Passed away April 24, 2010

• Registered
  • 608 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:37 AM

I tunes in to Star Trek Enterprise last night, and it was NOT in HD, and it HAD the HD logo bug on the screen.

I was so upset! Why even have the channel labelled as "SciFiHD" when they don't even show Star Trek Enterprise in HD?!?! What's the point of having the channel in HD at all? Might as well just call it the "SciFiSDUpconvert" channel.

HDNet owns the HD broadcast rights for Enterprise.

#432 OFFLINE   jasonblair

jasonblair

Icon

• Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:47 AM

Well, seasons 1-3 were only shot in 16 mm and will be difficult to transfer to HD. Plus the fact that the first season of Stargate was 1996, well before there even was a Showtime HD channel anywhere.
Season 4 and up were shot in 35mm thus can be easily transferred to HD (but they haven't yet).
Season 8-10 were shot in HD (as was Atlantis seasons 1-3 which were aired at the same time).

Why would 16mm be hard to transfer? Today's 16mm filmstock can carry roughly the same amount of resolution as 35mm filmstock from 20 to 30 years ago. Sure, you are going to get more film grain in the transfer, but 16mm film is still quite capable of holding more than HDTV resolution.

#433 OFFLINE   jasonblair

jasonblair

Icon

• Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:48 AM

Actually, I never want to see a program produced in 4:3 shown in anything but that resolution. Universal HD did the right thing, for example, in their presentation of Northern Exposure.

Resolution and aspect ratio are independent of each other.

#434 OFFLINE   Juppers

Juppers

Icon

• Registered
  • 596 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:28 AM

I've been searching, and I still can't find anything that says HDNet has exclusive rights to Enterprise in HD. Does anyone have a source or just repeating hearsay?

#435 OFFLINE   netconcepts

netconcepts

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:55 AM

I've been searching, and I still can't find anything that says HDNet has exclusive rights to Enterprise in HD. Does anyone have a source or just repeating hearsay?

http://hd.net/pressr...6-09-14-01.html

HDNet has a history of saying they have the "exclusive high-definition home" to the broadcast of other network shows.

One would assume that the exclusivity of Enterprise in HD is also part of this. Especially since SciFi and HDNet use the same timeslot on Monday.

#436 OFFLINE   Juppers

Juppers

Icon

• Registered
  • 596 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:34 AM

http://hd.net/pressr...6-09-14-01.html

HDNet has a history of saying they have the "exclusive high-definition home" to the broadcast of other network shows.

One would assume that the exclusivity of Enterprise in HD is also part of this. Especially since SciFi and HDNet use the same timeslot on Monday.

Yet they don't state having exclusive HD rights, unlike http://www.hd.net/pr...6-09-11-01.html
That was just 3 days earlier, and after a little searching I found they only have exclusivity of Arrested Development in HD for 3 years.

HDNet loves the word Exclusive, I can't imagine they would pass up an oppurtunity to state it unless they just don't have it for Enterprise.

#437 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 911 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:15 AM

On the 16mm film transfer to HD thing... Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original and best) was filmed on 16 mm and I have heard it looks pretty damn good in HD especially for an old beat up horror movie from the 70s. I do know the newer dvd taken from the HD transfer looks damn good.
I imagine newer filmed stuff on 16mm would look even better.

#438 OFFLINE   JayB

JayB

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:08 AM

There are several posts on cinematography.com on 16mm resolution. The best answer seems to be:

Film doesn't have pixel resolution -- it can be scanned at different pixel resolutions though. Generally "2K" (2048 pixels across) is considered adequate to capture all the grain and detail off of a Super-16 negative (since 16mm is half the width physically of 35mm, scanning it at 2K is the same as scanning 35mm at 4K.)

1920 x 1080 pixel progressive-scan HD could be considered "1.9K" although it is not (usually) uncompressed RGB data like a 2K scan of film. And a HDCAM camcorder actually records 1440 pixels across, not 1920.

Film has grain though, and Super-16 in particular has larger grains than 35mm shown at the same screen size, and grain is a limiting factor in enlarging an image and not having it look enlarged.

#439 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for all the help guys. I will get this settled in just a bit when I get home.

Do you have any series links on SciFi that are actually in HD like Stargate Atlantis?

If so then pull up the guide (and be sure both HD and SD versions of SciFi appear).

Now hit menu, choose date and time from the menu. Choose Friday the 19th at 10pm (I think it's on at 10).

Now the guide goes to that time. So which version has the recording icon on it? HD version or SD version. Now you'll know for sure which you have.

If it's on the SD version, that's easy to fix. Highlight the SD recording and hit record which will cancel the series link. Now arrow up to highlight the HD version and hit record twice. Now you have the series link on the HD channel.

#440 OFFLINE   Dirk

Dirk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:26 PM

Eureka tonight wasn't in HD. I wonder when they will fix this.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...