Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: SciFi Channel (Channel 244)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
465 replies to this topic

#461 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,627 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:57 PM

I just watched the Razor episode (marked LB in the guide), and while the picture filled the screen, it was soft, the contrast was poor, and the colors were drab. So I'll guess that it was derived from an SD source.

Nope. You are confusing an artistic style with SD/HD. Looked the same as BSG looks when it was on UHD (well, better because it didn't have breakups).

Did you notice that the "current" scenes were sharper than the flashbacks?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#462 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,783 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:19 PM

Folks, DBSTalk.com now has a forum dedicated to discussions of programs such as Battlestar Galactica:Razor, so please stop over there and continue the discussion!

Here's the current discussion on BSG:Razor ...

Battlestar Galactica: Razor - 11/21/2007 - Discussion Thread

#463 OFFLINE   JerryElbow

JerryElbow

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:10 PM

Cameron once said he preferred the 1.33:1 version of The Abyss. Maybe that's why the "widescreen" DVDs that have been released are letterboxed, but not anamorphic.

I read an interview with Cameron who didn't understand why people wanted the letterbox version of The Abyss when it was shot in Super 35 and the 1.33:1 version actually showed MORE visual information than the widescreen version did. At the time, it kind of made sense as the best source for video was laserdiscs and the best TVs were still use 480i Standard Definition TVs. Why "waste" your pixels on black bars when a version of the film was available that had everything in the theatrical release PLUS more information on the top and bottom of the screen AND filled the standard TV screen.

However, widescreen HDTVs are now popular (though hardly yet the norm), DVDs look WAY better than laserdiscs PLUS they (mostly) come in anamorphic widescreen, plus there's HD broadcasts and now HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs, so there's just no reason to release a version that doesn't reflect the theatrical aspect ratio and allow the home theater enthusiast to be able to recreate the theatrical experience as closely as possible. I don't think Cameron would claim a preference for 4:3 video any more.

As far as his original preference being the reason why The Abyss was originally available only in letterboxed 4:3, that doesn't make any sense to me. I think it was made that way because it was easy to re-use the masters from the laserdiscs and since the vast majority of potential buyers did not have HDTVs then, most buyers wouldn't even be able to detect a difference (since letterboxed 4:3 and anamorphic widescreen DVDs look basically the same on SDTVs). That was a stupid decision that showed no foresight to how the market was changing, but a LOT of movie companies were guility of it. Of course, when some movie companies re-released 4:3 letterboxed movies as anamorphic widescreen DVDs, they saw the profit in double-dipping and started released "special" editions and "collector's" editions and "unrated" editions and now are poised to probably do the same double- (and triple- and quadruple-) dipping with high definition DVD formats.

Oh well, what's a collector to do? It's like Tommy Lee Jones said in Men In Black when encountering some new futuristic digital storage media: "Look's like I'll have to buy the 'White Album' again!"

#464 OFFLINE   billbillw

billbillw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:05 AM

Sunday night's broadcast of the Matrix looked VERY good in HD. Noticably better than my older (original release) DVD copy. Way to go SciFi and D*!

#465 OFFLINE   petergaryr

petergaryr

Passed away April 24, 2010

• Registered
  • 608 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:06 AM

Sunday night's broadcast of the Matrix looked VERY good in HD. Noticably better than my older (original release) DVD copy. Way to go SciFi and D*!

Yes, it did. The pace of HD on SciFi has been increasing nicely lately.

#466 OFFLINE   Kenkong586

Kenkong586

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:46 AM

I agree, it looked as great as that movie is.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...