Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: SciFi Channel (Channel 244)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
465 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:39 AM

We'll just have to see if HD content shows up later tonight. I'm pretty sure the lack of HD indicators is probably just guide data error.
Receivers: HR20-700, H20-600, H21-200, D12-300, RCA DRD486
Dish: AT9 | Multiswitch: WB68
TV: Sony KDF50WE655

My Setup

Author of CE Slinger

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   kcarstens

kcarstens

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:42 AM

Looks like all the good stuff (SGATL, DRWHO, etc) is in letterbox, as is currently running beast master. Prefer this over stretch-o-vision, but had really hoped for 16:9. The current letterbox view (beast master) is ready (logo in right place) to be cropped and broadcast in 16:9.... hardly a marked improvement over 244 SciFi-nonHD

#63 OFFLINE   jbellanca

jbellanca

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:45 AM

Thank you DirecTV. Can't wait to watch/record Stargate Atlantis in HD tomorow.

Wouldn't that be great... if they'd list any shows as actually being broadcast in HD?!?!?!?!?!?? What's the point of an HD channel if they're only broadcasting 480p. Hope that changes and they just forgot to change the guide!

#64 OFFLINE   bgartz

bgartz

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:00 AM

Flash is letterboxed on the SD version so at the very least they SHOULD broadcast it 16x9 but then again they are letterboxing Beastmaster so we will have to see.

The Pilot episode of Flash was in HD on Universal HD. I am hoping that the rest of the series was filmed in HD.

#65 OFFLINE   OinkinOregon

OinkinOregon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:08 AM

Does the channel tag at the bottom of the screen show SciFiHD or is it just a stretched version of the SD channel?

#66 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:09 AM

Don't forget to setup your seies links on the new HD channel. Eureka is still in the guide so you can even "fix" that one for next season too.
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#67 OFFLINE   PMX4

PMX4

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:19 AM

I hope stargate atlantis is in hd this fri,did new series link but no hd icon :(

One of the Stargate: Atlantis's creators said in the intreview with Gateworld wesbite that fourth season definitely will be aired in HD. :)

I hope that they have closed captioning for Stargate: Atlantis and Battlestar Galactica on SciFi Channel HD because I am a hearing impaired. That would suck if I had to watch them on SD-version channel because they have CC.

#68 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:24 AM

One of the Stargate: Atlantis's creators said in the intreview with Gateworld wesbite that fourth season definitely will be aired in HD. :)

I hope that they have closed captioning for Stargate: Atlantis and Battlestar Galactica on SciFi Channel HD because I am a hearing impaired. That would suck if I had to watch them on SD-version channel because they have CC.

I hope there picked up for a fifth season,I read some time ago on gateworld that if fourth season ratings are low,there might not be a fifth season:(

#69 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:25 AM

I hope there picked up for a forth season,I read some time ago on gateworld that if third season ratings are low,there might not be a forth season:(

Season 4 already started - last Friday.

#70 OFFLINE   ronsm

ronsm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:28 AM

So far, SciFiHD is just a duplicate of SciFi, no change in presentation, logo, or program listing. In other words, no HD is being shown. Someone on another thread said that the HD channel hasn't been launched yet. If so, why would D* even have the channel available, and when is it supposed to be launched?

#71 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Season 4 already started - last Friday.

Sorry season five

#72 ONLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

I'm going to update my season pass for SG:A because even if its not in HD I'm sure the picture is still better than the SD channel.

#73 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,163 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:37 AM

I'm going to update my season pass for SG:A because even if its not in HD I'm sure the picture is still better than the SD channel.

Agree. The HD channel will at least be an upgrade, even though small.

#74 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:38 AM

Agree. The HD channel will at least be an upgrade, even though small.

I'm betting it will be HD on Fri.

#75 OFFLINE   taylorhively

taylorhively

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:41 AM

Agreed.
It looks as if they're still broadcasting the HD content in letterboxed SD.
This is a total buzzkill because most of shows on SciFi hare shot in HD and have been for years. Some of the (SciFi) shows re-run on Universal HD look splendid in HD.

But I'll be recording on the HD channel even though it uses more disk space. DirecTV drops the SD resolution from 720x480 down to 480x480 I believe, and as a result all SD channels look pretty bad on my 60" 1080 LCD rear projection, ESPECIALLY when you stretch/crop the letterboxed show to fill the screen. It looks pretty bad.

I've found that SD letterboxed on the HD channels at least have been upconverted on the broadcast side so even the SD resolution is actually better and looks pretty good.

I'm just ecstatic that they have the HD channel going. At least SciFi no longer has the excuse that no one carries the HD channel therefore why spend the money to broadcast in HD.
HOPEFULLY they'll get a real HD feed going within a few months so we'll at least get part of the SG-A season in HD.

For now I'll just have to take the letterboxed in HD. It look 1000 times better stretching to full screen on the HD channel than it does on the SD channel. I almost don't care that it's not true HD except that the picture gets cropped off a little when I do this.
5 DirecTV HD DVRs: HR20-700, HR20-700, HR22-100, HR21-100, HR24-500
60" Sony SXRB HD

#76 OFFLINE   PMX4

PMX4

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:43 AM

Sorry season five

There is no season five yet as the current and latest one is season four.

#77 OFFLINE   bkwest918

bkwest918

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:44 AM

You really think they are going to use HDcams?

HD cams for that aren't that expensive... Prosumer models can be had for less than 1k.

/b

#78 OFFLINE   bkwest918

bkwest918

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:47 AM

Love how they letterbox the SD content so its all of 30 inches on my 47 inch display. My Phillips will zoom on it but then again its basically SD down an HD channel and worthless.

/b

#79 OFFLINE   billbillw

billbillw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:51 AM

I have a feeling we won't see any true HD on SciFi until next year, as their website indicates. Looks to me like D* is just upconverting to 1080i. Still, it looks much better than the SD version, especially if you zoom to make letterbox fill the screen (not streched). I could hardly stand to watch BSG last year because of the poor quality after I zoomed. I tried zooming Beastmaster this morning and it looked pretty darn good, not HD, but much better than before.

#80 OFFLINE   MrKlaatu

MrKlaatu

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:59 AM

I assume they will air Atlantis in HD this week.

spam firewall