Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: SciFi Channel (Channel 244)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
465 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   borghe

borghe

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:06 AM

Looks to me like D* is just upconverting to 1080i.

DirecTV isn't doing anything. They're just passing on what Sci-Fi is feeding them. But yes, it looks like Sci-Fi is just sending over their SD channel.. It definitely seems to me like Sci-Fi hasn't launched yet even though they are sending out a signal.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Juppers

Juppers

Icon

• Registered
  • 596 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:14 AM

A quick search found that it does appear to exist. Hopefully they will start sending out the HD programming soon as well.

https://www.nbcunetw...?NetworkId=MjE=

https://www.nbcunetw...orkID=SCI FI HD

#83 OFFLINE   BreezeCJ

BreezeCJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:16 AM

Great, can't wait for BSG in HD.

+1 :hurah:
Zip 08096
Panasonic 50" G20 plasma HDTV
HDMI connection
1080p - Native Off
HR21-200 DVR CE
Antec MX-1 closure FreeAgent 750GB HD eSata
Network: Wireless Belkin n150 router
Technics SA-DX930 Optical
Logitech Harmony

#84 OFFLINE   Jon D

Jon D

Godfather

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:18 AM

You really think they are going to use HDcams?

If you "believe" what you see in ghost hunters, you should be able to "believe" it's in HD also whether it is or not. :lol:

#85 OFFLINE   MichaelP

MichaelP

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:18 AM

Even upconverted SD will have to be better than the picture I've been getting on the SD channel. This past Friday parts of Flash Gordon were practically unwatchable because the cinematography made the picture so dark and fuzzy I could barely tell what was going on.
Samsung LN-S3251D
DirecTV HR20-700s
Sony STR-DG800 w/JBL SCS145.5S Speakers
Sony DVP-NC85H/B
 tv
Logitech Harmony 880 Remote

#86 OFFLINE   506PIR

506PIR

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:27 AM

Watching ScifiHD now. Great! No stretch0vision
TNT are you taking notes?
Im pleased the new batch of nationals are not stretching their
content.... at this moment. hope it stays this way
D* Since 1995
DISH:SLIMLINE (WB68)
BEDROOM:40" SAMSUNG LNT-4066F
RECEIVERS:HR20-100
PROTECTION:APC BX1300LCD
OTA:DB2

#87 OFFLINE   LoopinFool

LoopinFool

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:29 AM

Even upconverted SD will have to be better than the picture I've been getting on the SD channel. This past Friday parts of Flash Gordon were practically unwatchable because the cinematography made the picture so dark and fuzzy I could barely tell what was going on.

Agreed. I use zoom on my display when watching Eureka so the aspect is correct (can't stand stretched letterboxed content).
The new feed does look like a very good upconvert. Trouble is, my 5 year old display can't zoom HD signals, so I'm stuck with the little framed version of it.
It sure is way better than the stretched letterboxed stuff I've seen over on HistoryHD, but they really should use zoom. A lot of displays have to show it full screen.
There's even an "LB" tag in the guide data, so the content provider knows which shows are letterboxed and they could even automate the zoom vs pillarbox function.

- LoopinFool

#88 OFFLINE   seagod

seagod

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:36 AM

Agreed.
It looks as if they're still broadcasting the HD content in letterboxed SD.
This is a total buzzkill because most of shows on SciFi hare shot in HD and have been for years. Some of the (SciFi) shows re-run on Universal HD look splendid in HD.

But I'll be recording on the HD channel even though it uses more disk space. DirecTV drops the SD resolution from 720x480 down to 480x480 I believe, and as a result all SD channels look pretty bad on my 60" 1080 LCD rear projection, ESPECIALLY when you stretch/crop the letterboxed show to fill the screen. It looks pretty bad.

I've found that SD letterboxed on the HD channels at least have been upconverted on the broadcast side so even the SD resolution is actually better and looks pretty good.

I'm just ecstatic that they have the HD channel going. At least SciFi no longer has the excuse that no one carries the HD channel therefore why spend the money to broadcast in HD.
HOPEFULLY they'll get a real HD feed going within a few months so we'll at least get part of the SG-A season in HD.

For now I'll just have to take the letterboxed in HD. It look 1000 times better stretching to full screen on the HD channel than it does on the SD channel. I almost don't care that it's not true HD except that the picture gets cropped off a little when I do this.

As long as they stretch a letterbox SD image into an HD filled image, the original image will not be distorted but if they start stretching 4:3 SD content that is not letterboxed, then back to the SD channel for me for now. However, the SCIFI channel has always been one of the better looking channels for me and the network seems to take their customer base seriously and as such I do not think they want to put out poorly formatted HD streams. SCIFI is an example to others like TNT, etc. that seem to think HD is equivalent to a filled widescreen TV image regardless of how distorted the image gets.
[SIZE="2"]Receivers: HR20-700 (0x1B4), HR20-700 (0x1DE), H20-100 (2034) (All b-band connected with OTA)
Dishes/Switch: 5 LNB Slimline (4 lines), International (Flex 1), Zinwell WB68
Network: Wired Gigabit (All connected)
TV: Sony LCOS via HDMI (both HR20s), Sony CRT via component (H20)
Self installed[/SIZE]

#89 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,633 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:37 AM

Beastmaster is in letterbox, which would seem to indicate it's an HD show--strange they aren't showing it in HD. (At least they're not showing it in stretch-o-vision. TNT/History Channel/TBS, are you paying attention?)

BTW, could they make their on-screen logo (with the Ghost Hunters promo) any more conspicuous?

Total disagreement. I will have to keep the SciFi channel available in SD as well to cover the letterboxed shows, of which there are many. I turned on SciFi this morning, and it was Beastmaster (didn't care) but it was in tiny-vision, BOTH pillar and letter boxed. WTF? Would it kill them to stretch this one? I can stretch 480 picture on my TV, but I cannot stretch 1080. I don't know if I'm alone in that, but I really cannot stand tiny-vision on my 55" HDTV!

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#90 OFFLINE   VeniceDre

VeniceDre

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:40 AM

Total disagreement. I will have to keep the SciFi channel available in SD as well to cover the letterboxed shows, of which there are many. I turned on SciFi this morning, and it was Beastmaster (didn't care) but it was in tiny-vision, BOTH pillar and letter boxed. WTF? Would it kill them to stretch this one? I can stretch 480 picture on my TV, but I cannot stretch 1080. I don't know if I'm alone in that, but I really cannot stand tiny-vision on my 55" HDTV!

Does your Television have it's own Aspect control? I can zoom in fine using my TV's remote.

#91 OFFLINE   skyboysea

skyboysea

Icon

• Registered
  • 540 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:50 AM

I think they are still experimenting. A few hours ago the logo was SciFiHD and it was half on the picture and half on the black bar. Hopefully they are getting ready for Friday.

#92 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:54 AM

same problem here.. Don't want 4:3 stretched to 16:9 BUT letterboxed shows should be zoomed to fit screen.. My local fox station still hasn't learned this :eek: they do the little framed pic all the time :(
Sure hope they get this fixed........................

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#93 OFFLINE   MrKlaatu

MrKlaatu

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:00 AM

same problem here.. Don't want 4:3 stretched to 16:9 BUT letterboxed shows should be zoomed to fit screen.

+1 except that any 16:9 shows filmed in HD should only be shown in HD so no zooming is necessary.

#94 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:31 AM

Looks like SciFi HD will not be doing any stretch-o-vision. From their FAQ http://www.scifi.com/help/channelfaq/:

The letterboxing looks terrible on my small screen! Why do you do that?

We firmly believe that movies and shows that are shot in widescreen (also known as letterboxing, abbreviated "LBX") should be shown in widescreen. It preserves the proper aspect ratios and displays the moving images as the creators intended them to be seen. We are trying to faithfully transmit the original creators' intentions.

Looks like they care about aspect ratios as much as we do. :D

Now if they'll just show some actual HD content today...
Receivers: HR20-700, H20-600, H21-200, D12-300, RCA DRD486
Dish: AT9 | Multiswitch: WB68
TV: Sony KDF50WE655

My Setup

Author of CE Slinger

#95 OFFLINE   JonW

JonW

Icon

• Registered
  • 526 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:32 AM

Agreed, my Pioneer can do some stretching of 1080i, but it can't fix the double whammy of letter box + side pillars. On the other hand, I can fully zoom the SD version of the show to fill the screen.

I would gladly watch upconverted 480i content on a HD channel, but not if I have to watch it in a mini-window.

#96 OFFLINE   axl

axl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:36 AM

I hope ECW is in HD

ECW is not taped in HD yet. I believe that smackdown is the first one to actually go HD and it should be late this year early next year i think.

#97 OFFLINE   taylorhively

taylorhively

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:22 PM

Agreed, my Pioneer can do some stretching of 1080i, but it can't fix the double whammy of letter box + side pillars. On the other hand, I can fully zoom the SD version of the show to fill the screen.

I would gladly watch upconverted 480i content on a HD channel, but not if I have to watch it in a mini-window.

I call that "Tiny TV" LOL :grin:

#98 OFFLINE   mika911

mika911

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:23 PM

Yeah, what is the point of this channel, if it is letterbox instead of widescreen? How hard could it be just to show things in widescreen?

#99 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:28 PM

Beastmaster was around like 8-9 years ago, I highly doubt they filmed it in HD.

#100 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:34 PM

OK, maybe I'm just an idiot, and never noticed it on other channels - but while watching "live TV" on SciFiHD, the screen saver came on - I didn't think this happened while watching live?

This happened to me as well, but on one of our local channels. Also while the screen saver was on, it would momentarily blink off showing just a frame or two of the show and then back to the screen saver.
Main viewing system HR20-100 via SWM-8, using HDMI, networked, using DirecTV on Demand and MRV!
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server

Full Setup

Proud supporter of the HR20 Wish List Survey

spam firewall