Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: SciFi Channel (Channel 244)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
465 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   MrKlaatu

MrKlaatu

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:06 PM

Not shooting in HD is really a weak reason for Doctor Who. The effects are most likely done on the same equipment that do effects for Torchwood and even motion pictures. It is just whether they set the rendering to 720x486 vs 1920x1080.

I don't know how their costs work, but the show is a huge (International) hit and a marquee show for the BBC. Not presenting it in HD is retardis.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   gphvid

gphvid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, Ca

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:11 PM

I agree. I guess the only reason they did it originally was to drop production costs in the first season because they (BBC) were not cure as to how popular the show's return was going to be. Well, duh! There is huge interest worldwide, so it isn't hard to figure out that they would make their money back hundred-fold. It also could have been the availability of HD equipment at the time. Who knows?

#123 OFFLINE   vertigo235

vertigo235

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:19 PM

They are Windowboxing Stargate SG1, this show has been shown in HD in Canada before, so HD masters exist, not sure why they are not presenting it.

Also, if Beastmaster was "filmed" then there is no reason they cant transfer it to HD.

Also Doctor Who is in PAL so if they at least upconvert that it would look better than SD.

#124 OFFLINE   setiamon

setiamon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:29 PM

Its lousy.

I don't know if its just be but EVERYONE on scifi is surrounded by black box etc.i'm sure this has been discussed but i'm tired...

#125 OFFLINE   Slip Jigs

Slip Jigs

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 721 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:33 PM

They are Windowboxing Stargate SG1, this show has been shown in HD in Canada before, so HD masters exist, not sure why they are not presenting it.

Also, if Beastmaster was "filmed" then there is no reason they cant transfer it to HD.

Also Doctor Who is in PAL so if they at least upconvert that it would look better than SD.

Yeah, I don't know what the deal is. BUT -

I have my box set to native, and the TV reports the incoming signal on a channel change, and this is 1080i. So I set to work -

HD channels you can't force the scaling mode but my TV can. I set my TV to zoom, same as crop and i got the full screen. And, it is HD, upscaled of course, but looks as good as any other HD channel.

#126 OFFLINE   bobbyv

bobbyv

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts
  • LocationEdmond, Oklahoma

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:33 PM

Has anyone actually found something in HD on Sci-Fi over the next few days?

I hope the guide is just off . . . maybe, just maybe SGA will be in HD this Friday.

We can hope right?

#127 OFFLINE   skakusha

skakusha

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:36 PM

I have my box set to native, and the TV reports the incoming signal on a channel change, and this is 1080i. So I set to work -

HD channels you can't force the scaling mode but my TV can. I set my TV to zoom, same as crop and i got the full screen. And, it is HD, upscaled of course, but looks as good as any other HD channel.

I wish it was 16 x 9, but I have to admit that I prefer to play with the TV aspect ratio settings then watch it in SD. This is a big picture improvement, and it is nice to have DD 5.1 sound as well.

Let's hope we see the HD versions very soon, and I mean before Friday night. :)

#128 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,946 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:45 PM

If "BeastMaster" was filmed, there is no reason they can't transfer it to HD, but just because "they" can transfer it to HD, doesn't mean it's been transferred to HD, and even if it has, it might not be available to Sci-Fi...

Look, I'm just as disappointed as anybody in the uncertainty of HD on Sci-Fi... considering the amount of programming on Sci-Fi that could be shown in HD compared to other networks... not to mention the amount of programming that is shown in letterbox that could be upconverted to 1920 x 1080 16x9... but it's possible that DirecTV went ahead a uplinked this channel (and USA-HD/Bravo-HD) in anticipation of Sci-Fi airing HD in the next few days... but they don't have all the kinks worked out.

I'm willing to give them a little time before I start getting upset...

~Alan

#129 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:47 PM

Can anyone explain why mine is neither stretched or pillar? I have a 6x9 SG1 inside a 6x9 black frame.

#130 OFFLINE   ronsm

ronsm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:50 PM

Well, SG1 is presented in widescreen, on a 4X3 screen. I have the zoom option, so I can fill the 16X9 screen without cropping, but it still doesn't look any where as good as a true HD presentation. You aren't actually adding info to the picture when you zoom it, you are just separating the pixels a little more. But, it's still better than watching the reduced size.

Incidently, SCIFI now has the largest logo I have ever seen on the tv. It added GHOST BUSTERS, and it's time, on top of the logo, in large letters.

#131 OFFLINE   ronsm

ronsm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:54 PM

Can anyone explain why mine is neither stretched or pillar? I have a 6x9 SG1 inside a 6x9 black frame.

Are you sure it isn't 16X9 inside a 4X3 screen? It's the way wide screen is presented on an SD television. The picture should look exactly the same as it does on the SciFi SD channel. If you have a Zoom option on your tv, try that. it should then fill the screen.

#132 OFFLINE   Slip Jigs

Slip Jigs

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 721 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:55 PM

I wish it was 16 x 9, but I have to admit that I prefer to play with the TV aspect ratio settings then watch it in SD. This is a big picture improvement, and it is nice to have DD 5.1 sound as well.

Let's hope we see the HD versions very soon, and I mean before Friday night. :)

Anything in letterbox IS 16 x 9, and the channel is 1080i, so it is HD. The difference is, for some reason, they're not pre-stretching the picture.

#133 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:00 PM

Are you sure it isn't 16X9 inside a 4X3 screen? It's the way wide screen is presented on an SD television. The picture should look exactly the same as it does on the SciFi SD channel. If you have a Zoom option on your tv, try that. it should then fill the screen.

no, I got pillar on the commercials, looks like it was just sg1

#134 OFFLINE   TMar

TMar

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:08 PM

Did I miss the memo?

#135 OFFLINE   HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07

Icon

• Registered
  • 705 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:10 PM

Huh? I don't get your post but while I'm thrilled SciFi is in HD (I've noticed the pq being better now), I'm sad to learn the captioning doesn't work on the HD channel. USA Network is the same. It is NOT D*'s fault... it is the network. I just e-mailed them and now I'm keeping my fingers crossed for another week.

#136 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:10 PM

Memo concerning what exactly?
Receivers: HR20-700, H20-600, H21-200, D12-300, RCA DRD486
Dish: AT9 | Multiswitch: WB68
TV: Sony KDF50WE655

My Setup

Author of CE Slinger

#137 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:12 PM

Did I miss the memo?

Here it is:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=101359
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#138 OFFLINE   setiamon

setiamon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:13 PM

the Sci-FI HD kinda sucks.everything is boxed.black pillars etc etc

even the commercials....

#139 OFFLINE   HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07

Icon

• Registered
  • 705 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:14 PM

the Sci-FI HD kinda sucks.everything is boxed.black pillars etc etc

even the commercials....

It's still early. I'm pretty confident that SciFi will start going 16:9 eventually. At least they're not doing the stretch-o-vision, which isn't very good.

#140 OFFLINE   TMar

TMar

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:16 PM

I figured it would have been all over the front page. I checked when I got home for anything on here (same as always) and didn't noticed until I just change the channel to SciFi that it was in HD now.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...