Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: SciFi Channel (Channel 244)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
465 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   ronsm

ronsm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:16 PM

Anything in letterbox IS 16 x 9, and the channel is 1080i, so it is HD. The difference is, for some reason, they're not pre-stretching the picture.

Not true. Wide screen and HD are two separate issues. I have seen widescreen movies on tv's since the 1960's. they had bars top and bottom, but it certainly wasn't HD. Stargate atlantis has always been presented in widescreen, but it wasn't HD. Just because your TV or DVD player scales it up to 1080I, doesn't mean it's HD. That's why there are DVD players that scale up the picture to "Near" HD quality, and then you have other players that are HD.

Stretching the picture does not give you HD either. That's why most people think TBSHD stinks. Streching the picture distorts what you see.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   TMar

TMar

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:20 PM

It's still early. I'm pretty confident that SciFi will start going 16:9 eventually. At least they're not doing the stretch-o-vision, which isn't very good.

I would much rather have it stretched than pillar boxed.

#143 OFFLINE   ampman337

ampman337

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:22 PM

It's still early. I'm pretty confident that SciFi will start going 16:9 eventually. At least they're not doing the stretch-o-vision, which isn't very good.

I may get flamed for this but, to me I would rather have it stretched. the black bars annoy me. I say this for all channels CNN, TWC etc.

#144 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,040 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:25 PM

I may get flamed for this but, to me I would rather have it stretched. the black bars annoy me. I say this for all channels CNN, TWC etc.

We don't flame for ignorance and bad taste, only trolling . . . ;)

(For what it's worth my wife agrees with you. :lol:)

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#145 OFFLINE   mexican-bum

mexican-bum

Godfather

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:25 PM

please don't say that or they may start:crying:

#146 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:26 PM

Then stretch it with YOUR TV. Broadcasting a program in anything other than its original aspect ratio is a travesty. Good job Sci-Fi, Bravo!

#147 OFFLINE   DrZaiusATL

DrZaiusATL

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:28 PM

I will bet you 100 bucks that they will.......EVERYONE has too much 4:3 content to do anything else....

THE PILLARS SUCK!

I have spent way to much money on plasma's and LCD's to have them burned.
"If we have learned one thing from the history of invention and discovery, it is that, in the long run - and often in the short one - the most daring prophecies seem laughably conservative." - Arthur C. Clarke

SYSTEMS
Stuff that displays video in a great way and the sounds are even better! :D

#148 OFFLINE   ronsm

ronsm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:29 PM

no, I got pillar on the commercials, looks like it was just sg1

Let me rephrase that. Currently, SciFi, is just sending their 4X3 SD signal for their SD channel over the HD channel. So, if you flip between the two channels, they will look the same, whether its on a program or ad.

The SD channel is set up so that it can be shown on a 4X3 screen without distortion. When it is on the smaller screen, it fills the screen on the left and right, but it needs bars on the top and bottom. So, when this same signal is sent to a widescreen HDTv, it is just like it was sending a 4X3 picture to the screen, and has pillars on the left and right. Only now, the top and bottom bars are part of the picture that is being broadcast. So, it looks like you have a frame all around the picture that you want to look at. But, D* or your tv are only adding the pillars so that the 4X3 picture fills out your widescreen. So, it is a 16X9 picture, being placed on a 4X3 screen format, and it is being broadcast on a 16X9 signal. Make sense? If you can zoom the picture in, it will fill the screen without distortion.

#149 OFFLINE   Slip Jigs

Slip Jigs

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 721 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:33 PM

Not true. Wide screen and HD are two separate issues. I have seen widescreen movies on tv's since the 1960's. they had bars top and bottom, but it certainly wasn't HD. Stargate atlantis has always been presented in widescreen, but it wasn't HD. Just because your TV or DVD player scales it up to 1080I, doesn't mean it's HD. That's why there are DVD players that scale up the picture to "Near" HD quality, and then you have other players that are HD.

Streching the picture does not give you HD either. That's why most people thing TBSHD stinks. Streching the picture distorts what you see.

I agree - i wasn't saying the what makes it HD was the aspect ratio- what makes it HD is horizontal resolution.

Now, we don't know what the origirnal source is, but the native signal coming in is 1080i (unless my TV is getting it wrong). So what we're seeing is actually squeezed picture - so when you crop it you'll get the full signal. On SD channels it's the other way around - cropping a letterboxed 480i signal to full screen blows it up beyond its native scaling, and looks crappy.

I don't know why this channel seems to be unique when it comes to this - maybe they just haven't worked out the kinks yet.

#150 OFFLINE   skakusha

skakusha

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:33 PM

Anyone know when Ghost Hunter's is on? LOL!

That is just annoying . . . I have seen the big transparent images off and on, but I hope it does not become common practice among channels or the NBC/Universal family.

#151 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:39 PM

Then stretch it with YOUR TV. Broadcasting a program in anything other than its original aspect ratio is a travesty. Good job Sci-Fi, Bravo!

+1

Please select that on your own TV.

I would much rather have all content in it's original aspect ratio (and resolution).

Then you can choose how you wish to see it with your remote.

Personally, I find "stretch-o-vision" highly annoying.

I do feel that they should use either black or 50% white (gray) for pillar boxes, though. I agree that the static ESPN pillars may cause burn-in for some plasma/CRT owners.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#152 OFFLINE   ronsm

ronsm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:43 PM

I agree - i wasn't saying the what makes it HD was the aspect ratio- what makes it HD is horizontal resolution.

Now, we don't know what the origirnal source is, but the native signal coming in is 1080i (unless my TV is getting it wrong). So what we're seeing is actually squeezed picture - so when you crop it you'll get the full signal. On SD channels it's the other way around - cropping a letterboxed 480i signal to full screen blows it up beyond its native scaling, and looks crappy.

I don't know why this channel seems to be unique when it comes to this - maybe they just haven't worked out the kinks yet.

I have my D* box scaling everything to 1080I. so it may be just the way you set the screen set in your options. My screen tells me it is set to 1080i, even if I am watching a 480I broadcast, on D*. My other option would be to import it as a 480I, 480P, or 1080I, and let the tv scale it up to 1080I, but, it seems to affect how I see the picture, and I am unable to zoom the picture properly.

I don't see a squeezed picture, but if I stretched it to fill the screen, then it would crop the sides. However, if I zoom it. the 16X9 picture fills out my screen without cropping or distorting the picture. This is a format option on the Sony TV, not on the D* box.

#153 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:44 PM

Broadcasting a program in anything other than its original aspect ratio is a travesty.

+Infinity
Receivers: HR20-700, H20-600, H21-200, D12-300, RCA DRD486
Dish: AT9 | Multiswitch: WB68
TV: Sony KDF50WE655

My Setup

Author of CE Slinger

#154 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:44 PM

:up:
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#155 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:47 PM

Anyone know when Ghost Hunter's is on? .

Ghost Hunters? Is that a new show? What hannel is it on? Posted Image
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#156 OFFLINE   Juppers

Juppers

Icon

• Registered
  • 596 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:01 PM

25% gray would be plenty. I just wish every channel would go OAR.

#157 OFFLINE   malaern

malaern

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:06 PM

3 Thumbs down Skiffy:

1. My Panny won't zoom HD connected via HDMI or Component, so I'm stuck with window-box around all four sides.

2. That is the most annoying, biggest, most obnoxious bug.

oh, and 3. New Webisodes still won't atone for cancelling Farscape!

#158 OFFLINE   solomita

solomita

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:06 PM

I just don't get this. If they broadcast in pillars then everyone can get what they want, but if they stretch then there's no way for me to unstretch if I want pillars. The conclusion seems obvious.

#159 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:22 PM

The extra stuff around their BUG makes me NOT want to watch Ghost Hunters just to punish them for doing that :lol:

I wouldn't have watched it anyway, but now I'll make a real concerted effort to avoid it ;)
Receivers: HR20-700, H20-600, H21-200, D12-300, RCA DRD486
Dish: AT9 | Multiswitch: WB68
TV: Sony KDF50WE655

My Setup

Author of CE Slinger

#160 OFFLINE   ronsm

ronsm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:26 PM

3 Thumbs down Skiffy:

1. My Panny won't zoom HD connected via HDMI or Component, so I'm stuck with window-box around all four sides.

2. That is the most annoying, biggest, most obnoxious bug.

oh, and 3. New Webisodes still won't atone for cancelling Farscape!

Bummer! Time for a new tv, anyways, last years models are outdated already.

Sorry, I can't help about Farscape. I'm ticked that they even removed SG1, and then replaced it with Painkiller Jane and Flash Gordon. How are there ratings compared to SGI or Farscapr? They will probably replace BSG with another detective show, where the detective can mysteriously change his appearance. The title will probably be called "The Chameleon".

spam firewall