Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: Speed (Channel 607)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
121 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   pete9976

pete9976

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:27 AM

Does anyone know if the AMA and MotoGP races will be in HD next season? I hope so!! :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:34 AM

Not being a NASCAR fan, it's gonna be a LOOONG time before this channel has any actual value to me.

I don't have anything against the NASCAR fans, just stating the obvious about where SPEED will spend their production dollars first.

I doubt they will spend much on NASCAR HD either. This season they used the FOX HD equipment when FOX was carrying the races. Otherwise, it does not appear as though they are spending any money on HD at all.

#23 OFFLINE   TomF

TomF

Icon

• Registered
  • 744 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:56 AM

Oh man, c'mon SPEED and surprise us with the F1 finale in glorious HD ;)

I've been waiting for F1 in HD for years! We won't be getting the 2007 finale in HD, but I'll settle for the entire 2008 season being completely in HD!
Tom

Family Room:
Panasonic
TC-P65GT50 Plasma 3D HDTV | Onkyo TX-NR809 Receiver
- HR34-700 | HR21-200 | HR21-700
Master Bedroom:
Panasonic TH-42PC77U Plasma 720p HDTV | Sony STR-DG510 Receiver
- Genie C31 Client
Guest Bedroom:
Vizio E320-A1 LED 720p HDTV
- Genie C31 Client

#24 OFFLINE   rynberg

rynberg

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:15 PM

This is great news! At least the SD is much better than the SD channel.

Also, F1 is broadcast by the FOM. Speed, nor anyone else, has control over this broadcast. The FOM feed is 16:9 SD. I have not heard anything about the FOM using HD cameras for next season. I hope they do but I'm not optimistic.

#25 OFFLINE   tuff bob

tuff bob

Icon

• Registered
  • 645 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:17 PM

I have not heard anything about the FOM using HD cameras for next season. I hope they do but I'm not optimistic.

I was pretty sure I'd heard that the FIA produces F1 races in HD for the F1 Films unit. Let me hunt :)

#26 OFFLINE   TomF

TomF

Icon

• Registered
  • 744 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:20 PM

I was pretty sure I'd heard that the FIA produces F1 races in HD for the F1 Films unit. Let me hunt :)

I seem to remember reading that F1 is available in HD throughout Europe.
Tom

Family Room:
Panasonic
TC-P65GT50 Plasma 3D HDTV | Onkyo TX-NR809 Receiver
- HR34-700 | HR21-200 | HR21-700
Master Bedroom:
Panasonic TH-42PC77U Plasma 720p HDTV | Sony STR-DG510 Receiver
- Genie C31 Client
Guest Bedroom:
Vizio E320-A1 LED 720p HDTV
- Genie C31 Client

#27 OFFLINE   tuff bob

tuff bob

Icon

• Registered
  • 645 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:21 PM

that I know is false, 16:9 SD. Not many European HD channels yet.

#28 OFFLINE   RandybinSC

RandybinSC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:36 PM

This is the only thing I could find regarding F1 and HD. It is from autosport.com back in May.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/58776

F1 to offer High Definition TV coverage

By Jonathan Noble Sunday, May 13th 2007, 08:59 GMT

Formula One looks set to be broadcast in High Definition as of later this season, even though the sport's supremo Bernie Ecclestone has reservations about such a move.

Plans are being put in place to upgrade the television cameras and production facilities that provide the world television feed to allow the HD footage to be available to F1's television broadcasters.

Ecclestone said he did not know when the sport would switch over to the higher quality footage, but confirmed to autosport.com that it would be at some point later this year. Other sports, including football and golf, have already gone the HD route.

But although the move will be welcome by a number of fans, Ecclestone has admitted he is in a quandary about the matter because of the limited number of channels that broadcast in high definition.

That is why he felt it more important for F1 to be available in a widescreen format to allow for bigger pictures on more people's television sets.

"The trouble with High Definition is that there are not many people who have got the equipment to receive it, so there is not much point," he said.

"We are really broadcasting for the big screen now, rather than worrying about HD."

#29 OFFLINE   tuff bob

tuff bob

Icon

• Registered
  • 645 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:40 PM

http://insider.speed...der=asc&start=0

nice image of a 16:9 image at least. seems like we'll get upconverted 576i (PAL)

#30 OFFLINE   flexoffset

flexoffset

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:50 PM

"The trouble with High Definition is that there are not many people who have got the equipment to receive it, so there is not much point," he said.
"We are really broadcasting for the big screen now, rather than worrying about HD."

What an ironic statement from a sport that is widely regarded as being at the pinnacle of cutting edge technology.

SISLink is providing a dedicated dual antenna HD uplink truck for the Eurpean Grand Prix ITV Sport broadcasts for the 2007 season.
Not that Europe has a mature HD market, but it seems F1 is trying to get their feet wet in HD broadcasting to some degree.

I read on pitpass that had it not been for negotiations with Panasonic to get HD videocameras, they would have had HD sooner. Somewhat conflicting information, but that is in line with F1 nowadays.

Fri, 2nd, Mar 2007

SISLink has won the contract to supply ITV Sport with satellite facilities for its F1 coverage or the next four years.
The deal, beginning with the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne this March, will see the satellite service provider responsible for uplink provision of 16 of the 17 worldwide events.

All satellite connectivity will be provided from each international location by SISLink. Also included within the contract is two-way broadband IP over satellite and 100% turnaround connection, handled in the UK via SISLink's London Teleport.

Supporting the extensive, high-profile coverage, will be a dedicated dual antenna HD truck which SISLink are building exclusively for the eight European events. The truck, which is designed for maximum resilience, is set to become one of the most complex and highly specified uplink trucks ever built. Every part of the truck will be fully redundant with uplink diversity to include separation of RF chains, power supplies and baseband connectivity. Additionally, the truck will comprise a complete UPS system to prevent any picture loss and deliver a totally reliable and robust solution.

D* | 2ea HR24-500

#31 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,251 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:10 PM

I guess the NASCAR replays will be in HD but most of their content is SD?

HD Net has had a lock on HD NASCAR replays in the past. I'd doubt that is going to change this season.

#32 OFFLINE   DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:10 PM

Ah. Nice to know about Brazil in widescreen. I had just called the SPEED Charlotte offices and left voice mail messages asking the same thing. :)

#33 OFFLINE   fer312t

fer312t

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:49 PM

This is the channel I've been waiting for...

:) widecreen brazil

Go Lewis!

#34 OFFLINE   techdimwit

techdimwit

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:26 PM

I'll be interested to see how a studio show like "Inside Nextel Cup" looks tonight.

#35 OFFLINE   248 F1

248 F1

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:43 PM

Just got an email back from Speed TV, asking about the last race of the season. Here is their response:

Although produced in HD, Formula 1 races are not available to any
broadcaster in that format. We hope that situation will change in 2008.
The F1 event from Brazil will be shown in upconverted 16x9 aspect ratio.

Does that mean SPEED won the broadcast rights for 2008?

Last race of the season for the drivers championship.

Lewis :kickbutt: Kimi
DirecTv since '97
AU9-S w/WB68 > HR20, H20, H10, Samsung TS-360, H21 > Psyclone HDMI selector > (2) 46" Sony Bravia > (1) Sharp 19 LCD < Sony PS3, < Toshiba HD-A2, > Pioneer VSX D814 > Motorola Bluetooth and Pioneer IR Headphones

#36 OFFLINE   RandybinSC

RandybinSC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:58 PM

Does that mean SPEED won the broadcast rights for 2008?

Last race of the season for the drivers championship.

Lewis :kickbutt: Kimi

Newscorp does a deal for F1 in America

Speed TV is teaming up with its brother company Fox Sports for a new three-year deal to cover Formula 1 in the United States of America. Fox will broadcast four events in 2007 with live coverage from the US and Canadian Grand Prix while Speed will air the remaining 13 events live, including coverage of practice and qualifying.

The commentary team will be led by Bob Varsha, with analysis from former F1 driver David Hobbs and former F1 mechanic Steve Matchett. Formula 1 journalist Peter Windsor will provide reports from the pits and from the starting grid.

"Speed has served F1 fans for 11 consecutive seasons with live coverage of racing, practice and qualifying, but this new deal will bring unprecedented consistency and exposure to the North American television audience," says Hunter Nickell, Speed's General Manager. "With Fox adding muscle to the North American events and the experienced Speed team calling the entire race season, it will be the coolest year ever to be an F1 fan on this continent."

Fox Sports will broadcast Canada, Indianapolis, France and Britain.

http://www.grandprix...ns/ns17812.html

#37 OFFLINE   248 F1

248 F1

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:21 PM

Newscorp does a deal for F1 in America

Speed TV is teaming up with its brother company Fox Sports for a new three-year deal to cover Formula 1 in the United States of America. Fox will broadcast four events in 2007 with live coverage from the US and Canadian Grand Prix while Speed will air the remaining 13 events live, including coverage of practice and qualifying.

The commentary team will be led by Bob Varsha, with analysis from former F1 driver David Hobbs and former F1 mechanic Steve Matchett. Formula 1 journalist Peter Windsor will provide reports from the pits and from the starting grid.

"Speed has served F1 fans for 11 consecutive seasons with live coverage of racing, practice and qualifying, but this new deal will bring unprecedented consistency and exposure to the North American television audience," says Hunter Nickell, Speed's General Manager. "With Fox adding muscle to the North American events and the experienced Speed team calling the entire race season, it will be the coolest year ever to be an F1 fan on this continent."

Fox Sports will broadcast Canada, Indianapolis, France and Britain.

http://www.grandprix...ns/ns17812.html

Yeah, that article is from November 2006. Things have changed somewhat. As it stands now there will be no 2008 USGP ...... not from Indy anyway. And I kind of remember the 2007 races that were not broadcast by SPEED were on CBS. ...... with exceptionally lousy commentating.
DirecTv since '97
AU9-S w/WB68 > HR20, H20, H10, Samsung TS-360, H21 > Psyclone HDMI selector > (2) 46" Sony Bravia > (1) Sharp 19 LCD < Sony PS3, < Toshiba HD-A2, > Pioneer VSX D814 > Motorola Bluetooth and Pioneer IR Headphones

#38 OFFLINE   mexican-bum

mexican-bum

Godfather

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:25 PM

HD Net has had a lock on HD NASCAR replays in the past. I'd doubt that is going to change this season.

Speed shows replays also Thursday morning for both busch and cup, HDnet replays cup on thursday's also but in the evening

#39 OFFLINE   DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:31 PM

Yeah, that article is from November 2006. Things have changed somewhat. As it stands now there will be no 2008 USGP ...... not from Indy anyway. And I kind of remember the 2007 races that were not broadcast by SPEED were on CBS. ...... with exceptionally lousy commentating.

The 2006 races were on CBS a couple of times. Fox did the 2007 races. Bob, David, Steve, and Peter have been the only team to do races on US television this year.

#40 OFFLINE   flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:29 PM

When considering all this talk about HD coverage next year, remember one thing: F1 is all about the money.

Just like when you have to pay DTV more for HD than for SD, Bernie will not just go bundling HD content into the existing TV contract for free. So of course he's talking down HD coverage, so when his representatives talk to the potential channel outlets for it, they can act like it's something special and worth paying more for.

For the right amount of money, you can be sure F1 will be available in HD next year. Although it's unlikely SPEED will be upping their payments, especially with Scott Speed out and no USGP.
room 1:
HR34-700 through Sony STR-DA5300ES amp to LG 55" LE8500 LCD flat panel via HDMI. Discrete OTA.

room 2:
On break. I thought I'd get something in time for baseball, but...

AU9 SWM dish. Channel Master 4228 for UHF + big yagi for VHF w/CM7777 combiner/amplifier.

Connected via wired GigE to Apple Time Capsule base station.

spam firewall