Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: Speed (Channel 607)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
121 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Keeska

Keeska

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:35 PM

SpeedHD is not SD.

It is NTSC or 480i Upconverted to 720p. Unless the definition has changed it is SD upconverted.

Anyone that compares the 2 will see that normal Speed is way more pixelated than SpeedHD (even in 4:3 aspect).

This is due to DirecTV rez-ing channel 607 to 480x480 - i.e., lower resolution then SD. And the pixelization is usually due to DIrecTV taking bandwidth from channel 607.

So while it is 4:3, SpeedHD is much sharper. It will make a bigger difference, the bigger your screen is.

It is probably actual SD instead of the down rez'ing done on 607. So how good it looks depends on how good upconverted SD looks on your TV.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   kwsmithphoto

kwsmithphoto

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:40 AM

FWIW, while watching the F1 race yesterday, just before the 2nd round of pit stops I lost signal to whole house and every receiver reset itself. Fortunately, my RCA DVR80 in the den picked it back up after about 10 laps but my HR 20 took twice as long and I lost about 20 laps before it came back on. It was recording on both DVR's while I watched it, about 45 minutes behind real time.

Anybody else have that problem? It was about 10:30 PDT.

#103 OFFLINE   Scooter22

Scooter22

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:27 AM

FWIW, while watching the F1 race yesterday, just before the 2nd round of pit stops I lost signal to whole house and every receiver reset itself. Fortunately, my RCA DVR80 in the den picked it back up after about 10 laps but my HR 20 took twice as long and I lost about 20 laps before it came back on. It was recording on both DVR's while I watched it, about 45 minutes behind real time.

Anybody else have that problem? It was about 10:30 PDT.

Ack! Was it weather related perhaps? It wasn't storming here but it has been pretty windy up in St. Louis. If your satellite isn't secured well that could mess up the works in high wind conditions.

No problems here.

Scooter

#104 OFFLINE   Peapod

Peapod

Godfather

• Registered
  • 343 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:36 AM

I have as yet been unable to watch the new Speed channel (I will not call it HD) due to the fact that I get about 2-3 1 or 2 second audio dropouts about every minute, live or recorded. This is the only one of the new channels where it seems to be happening.

#105 OFFLINE   Scooter22

Scooter22

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:12 PM

I've been watching the American Le Mans series race live and out of the blue the sound will go away. I can get it back by changing channels and going back to it again. Odd.

Scooter :)

Well, it's been fine ever since that night. And it wasn't just Speed, I also had troubles with it on my local (OTA)station watching the Blues game. I think it may have been an HDMI cable issue. This is a brand new setup, btw. New 32" Samsung LCD and HR20-700 (no amps on this setup). I disconnected the HDMI cable and reconnected it and all has been fine since then.

Scooter

#106 OFFLINE   Kiwi

Kiwi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:32 PM

Did anyone experience what I did on Speed HD with F1 practice and qualifying where the reds were pink? The problem wasn't there in the race.

BTW, the FOX broadcast of three of their 4 grand prixes were excellent in 16:9 and looked as though they were HD on my 30" CRT HD system.

#107 OFFLINE   Scooter22

Scooter22

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:09 PM

Kiwi, I noticed that the Ferrari driver's hats looked pink during the interviews but I don't recall the cars-Ferraris or other red items looking pink. Could be a bad memory though. Heh.

Yeah, the FOX grand prix race coverage looked really nice. I was hoping to see the same thing for the finale last weekend. Oh well, next season isn't too far off. :)

Scooter

#108 OFFLINE   TomF

TomF

Icon

• Registered
  • 744 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:12 PM

Did anyone experience what I did on Speed HD with F1 practice and qualifying where the reds were pink? The problem wasn't there in the race.

I noticed that during the interviews after qualifying, Hamilton had a very pink hat as well as other parts of his drivers suit. My wife, also a big F1 fan, claims that the Ferraris have always looked orangeish to her in SD.

We watched both qualifying and the race on SpeedHD and while not in HD, were very impressed at how much better the PQ was and particularly how really red the Ferraris were. It seemed like you could actually see the clear coat and they were really gleaming in the sun.
Tom

Family Room:
Panasonic
TC-P65GT50 Plasma 3D HDTV | Onkyo TX-NR809 Receiver
- HR34-700 | HR21-200 | HR21-700
Master Bedroom:
Panasonic TH-42PC77U Plasma 720p HDTV | Sony STR-DG510 Receiver
- Genie C31 Client
Guest Bedroom:
Vizio E320-A1 LED 720p HDTV
- Genie C31 Client

#109 OFFLINE   Scooter22

Scooter22

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:12 PM

I took a second glance at practice and the colors did look strange. Speed's colors looked fine. It was the stuff that they were transmitting from the Brazil that looked off to me.

Scooter :)

#110 OFFLINE   garbec

garbec

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:22 PM

I saw no Hamilton interviews after the race, but if I had, I bet Hamilton's face would have had a red sheen to it,:lol:

It wasn't HD, but it was still the best F1 I have ever seen. Can't wait until next year.

garbec
www.wetdesert.net

#111 OFFLINE   rynberg

rynberg

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:47 PM

The color conversion from SECAM to NTSC was off for both the practice and qual broadcasts. It was correct for most of the race.

Has anyone gotten an answer yet as to why Fox could show the 16:9 FOM feed earlier in the year and SpeedHD couldn't?

#112 ONLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,572 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:16 PM

Started watching NASCAR Race Day at 10AM CST today.The PQ has been great so far and the audio has been working fine too.At least where I am located at,it looks like Speed HD channel has got it going on today. :)

Steve

#113 OFFLINE   jhruth

jhruth

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:08 PM

Any latest word if Formula One will be in HD ?

That PAL coverted single is like watching TV through saran wrap !!

#114 OFFLINE   Zhul

Zhul

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:29 AM

I just set up F1 season pass (or whatever) on my HR20-100. There was no mention of HD so I'm guessing it's not going to be in HD just yet, I'm hoping at least for actual 16:9, I'll be content with that for a little while. FOM needs to get off their asses and do a full upgrade of their broadcast. I've been waiting for HD F1 for far too long... :mad:

#115 OFFLINE   Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:36 PM

Maybe this has been mentioned elsewhere but I just noticed something on my F1 season pass on Speed. I had the F1 season pass last season and I see that the season pass for this upcoming season has been automatically switched to record Speed HD. The F1 season on Speed was the only SD programming I had last year on my priority list. Is this a feature that was implemented on a recent software update?

Genie HR44 --> Marantz AV8801 --> Sony XBRX55HX950

Mini Genie --> Sony XBR55HX950

#116 OFFLINE   Redlinetire

Redlinetire

Icon

• Registered
  • 927 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:40 PM

I've been scouring every forum I know of where 'people in the know' usually lurk and there has been no info on what they're going to send out...

I guess we'll know soon enough...
TiVo Series3 --> Toshiba 34HFX83 (CRT)

#117 OFFLINE   Zhul

Zhul

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:59 PM

I guess we'll know soon enough...

But I'm hungry now! :rolleyes:

Yeah, guess all we can do it wait another 7 days to find out. I have to say I would accept upsampled 16:9 because it's still better than anything I've had before. 4:3 will just piss me off, I hate pillarboxing.

#118 OFFLINE   Reggie3

Reggie3

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 553 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:05 AM

Let's keep our fingers crossed - we know Australia TV has HD but this posting seems to indicate it will be in SD: http://ten.com.au/te...t-schedule.html

#119 OFFLINE   Zhul

Zhul

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:43 AM

Let's keep our fingers crossed - we know Australia TV has HD but this posting seems to indicate it will be in SD:

Bah! Screw NASCAR! It's even infiltrated Australia. I want me some real racing!

I've pretty much resigned myself to another SD season, just really hoping for 16:9 at the least.

#120 OFFLINE   Mickstix

Mickstix

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:14 PM

Bah! Screw NASCAR! It's even infiltrated Australia. I want me some real racing!

Aw, dont ya just love all that Nascar coverage in clear, crisp, Hi-Def?? :D :D :D

#121 OFFLINE   248 F1

248 F1

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:47 PM

I just set up F1 season pass (or whatever) on my HR20-100.

Don't forget to adjust the stop time to 30 min or so later in case of an unforeseen delay. Not much worse than waiting to watch the race only to find out there were two laps left when the record light went out. Been there.

Aw, dont ya just love all that Nascar coverage in clear, crisp, Hi-Def?? :D :D :D

Nope
DirecTv since '97
AU9-S w/WB68 > HR20, H20, H10, Samsung TS-360, H21 > Psyclone HDMI selector > (2) 46" Sony Bravia > (1) Sharp 19 LCD < Sony PS3, < Toshiba HD-A2, > Pioneer VSX D814 > Motorola Bluetooth and Pioneer IR Headphones

#122 OFFLINE   garbec

garbec

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:18 PM

There was no mention of HD so I'm guessing it's not going to be in HD just yet,

My fingers are crossed for F1-HD. Just 3 more days.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...