Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: MTV HD (331)

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   judson_west

judson_west

Godfather

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:13 PM

When will there be ANY HD content on this channel? Just saw the new season of The Gauntlet and it is letterboxed in a 4:3 frame. At least if it isn't going to be HD, they could zoom this type of program to fill a 16:9 frame.
Video/Audio 1: DirecTV HR24-500 (HDMI)-> Sony STR-DA5200ES -> Sony KDL-52XBR9
Video/Audio 2: DirecTV HR20-700 (HDMI) -> Sony KDL-32EX500
Video/Audio 3: DirecTV HR20-700 (HDMI) -> Sony KDL-40EX500

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:21 PM

When will there be ANY HD content on this channel?

Nobody knows.

#23 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,178 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:20 PM

The only show I watch on MTV is Rob and Big. Their show is filmed in HD but broadcast SD. What a waste.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#24 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,106 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:41 PM

The only show I watch on MTV is Rob and Big. Their show is filmed in HD but broadcast SD. What a waste.

CBS SUCKS. http://www.cbs5.com broadcasts everything in thick black bars on each side. What's up with that? MTV VH1 isn't in HD on Dishnetwork yet. I'll bet every Viacom channels will have black bars!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#25 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:00 PM

CBS SUCKS. http://www.cbs5.com broadcasts everything in thick black bars on each side. What's up with that? MTV VH1 isn't in HD on Dishnetwork yet. I'll bet every Viacom channels will have black bars!

What the hell are you talking about?

#26 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,178 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:58 PM

What the hell are you talking about?

:lol:

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#27 OFFLINE   Eddie501

Eddie501

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:08 AM

Well, it's now been 9 months and still no one seems to have informed MTV that they've been given an HD channel. Even the season premier of The Hills this week is still being show in 4x3 letterbox.

If they're not interested, I wish DirecTV would reclaim this wasted bandwidth & allocate to channels actually broadcasting in HD.

#28 OFFLINE   bruinfever

bruinfever

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:16 AM

Well, it's now been 9 months and still no one seems to have informed MTV that they've been given an HD channel. Even the season premier of The Hills this week is still being show in 4x3 letterbox.

If they're not interested, I wish DirecTV would reclaim this wasted bandwidth & allocate to channels actually broadcasting in HD.

I agree, though carriage agreements would prevent them from doing so. I've seen channels with very little HD content, but MTV HD and VH1 HD really take teh cake. I have NEVER seen an HD program on their channel. It really makes me wonder why did they bother making an HD simulcast of their channel :nono2:

#29 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,599 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:29 AM

DIRECTV should not have invested the bandwidth in the three non-HD channels in the first place.

If you look at the MHD schedule it isn't exactly "fresh". MTV Networks seems to be going backwards instead of forward. The video star is killing itself.

#30 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:33 AM

I agree, though carriage agreements would prevent them from doing so. I've seen channels with very little HD content, but MTV HD and VH1 HD really take teh cake. I have NEVER seen an HD program on their channel. It really makes me wonder why did they bother making an HD simulcast of their channel :nono2:

Don't forget about CMT HD
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

#31 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:20 AM

DIRECTV should not have invested the bandwidth in the three non-HD channels in the first place.

It's easy to say that now, but who knows what kind of crap MTV Networks fed DirecTV in order to secure carriage. Of course it's possible that they never said or insinuated anything, but I would think that DirecTV had reason to believe that these channels would be showing HD content at some point well before their first birthday.

#32 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,064 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:54 AM

It's easy to say that now, but who knows what kind of crap MTV Networks fed DirecTV in order to secure carriage. Of course it's possible that they never said or insinuated anything, but I would think that DirecTV had reason to believe that these channels would be showing HD content at some point well before their first birthday.

I think Viacom wanted these channels included in any rights carriage with all their other HD channels, because eventually they will probably have some sort of possible HD that they might want to air at some point on some of these channels in the very distant unknown future...

#33 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:57 AM

I think Viacom wanted these channels included in any rights carriage with all their other HD channels

Nobody else has them, though...

#34 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:13 AM

The one thing we know for sure is that making VH1 and MTV hi-def channels was contractually, not programming, driven.

Agreed on the totally missed HD opportunities on both.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#35 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,599 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:25 AM

Given their obvious bent towards reality shows and well-worn movies, I think the writing was on the wall that they weren't heading in the direction of high quality programming. The MTV networks have always been kind of a shoe-string operation with occasional flashes of brilliance that were scarcely enough to keep MHD going.

In looking at the other Viacom properties, the production quality problem is pretty systemic.

#36 OFFLINE   Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 597 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:38 AM

In looking at the other Viacom properties, the production quality problem is pretty systemic.

And that's the money quote right there... Viacom has shown zero interest in putting out a quality product. How long have we been waiting for Comedy Central in HD?
Rob

#37 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,599 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:22 AM

How long have we been waiting for Comedy Central in HD?

This begs the question of whether or not higher picture quality is going to make Comedy Central significantly better or just less difficult to watch on an HD display.

#38 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,674 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:54 AM

This begs the question of whether or not higher picture quality is going to make Comedy Central significantly better or just less difficult to watch on an HD display.

At least (unlike MTV HD)...they'll be some entertaining content in HD... :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#39 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,599 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 August 2008 - 01:15 PM

At least (unlike MTV HD)...they'll be some entertaining content in HD... :D

What makes you think that Comedy Central will step up and add HD content where the other MTV SD networks didn't?

Will it be somehow more entertaining in HD?

#40 OFFLINE   Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 597 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:01 PM

What makes you think that Comedy Central will step up and add HD content where the other MTV SD networks didn't?

Will it be somehow more entertaining in HD?

Regardless of the actual content, my point is that Viacom as a whole has shown very little interest providing either an HD signal or actual HD content for any of its properties.
Rob

spam firewall