Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: MTV HD (331)

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   luckydob

luckydob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:33 PM

If I subscribed to DirecTV specifically to get MTV HD, expecting that they would have HD programming, then I might approach that feeling. But MTV "HD" is just one of many HD channels on DirecTV, and so the impact it has on me is significantly dampened.

I agree...don't get much milage from MTV, but it's still a joke on the MTV side. I don't blame D* for getting the shaft here...in fact I believe that D* and it's customers are getting the shaft from Viacom here.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 597 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:16 AM

I agree...don't get much milage from MTV, but it's still a joke on the MTV side. I don't blame D* for getting the shaft here...in fact I believe that D* and it's customers are getting the shaft from Viacom here.

You know, it makes me wonder. IANAL, and don't even pretend to understand carriage contracts, but at what point do you call it a day? I guess the real metric is in the viewing numbers. If a significant number of viewers stop watching Viacom networks because of a lack of HD programming (or decent upscaling of SD content), does D* have the ability to apply some pressure to Viacom? What's the threshold of pain Viacom is willing to endure? I'm afraid we'll probably never have these answers, so it's a moot point and we'll just go on kvetching about it.

FWIW, on that "other" forum dedicated to satellite TV, there's a thread talking about Comedy Central going HD in January 2009. (It may have even been talked about here, I admit I haven't searched for it). But there's no linkage to an announcement of any kind, so I place a very low level of confidence in that info.
Rob

#53 OFFLINE   ShawnL25

ShawnL25

Icon

• Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:37 AM

This time last year they simulcast the VMA's in HD on MHD, perhaps this year we will get some HD on MTV for the first time.

#54 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,973 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:01 AM

This time last year they simulcast the VMA's in HD on MHD, perhaps this year we will get some HD on MTV for the first time.

AFAIK, everyone who gets MTV HD also gets MHD, so what's the point? There are many more MHD subscribers than MTV HD subscribers.

#55 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:25 AM

You know, it makes me wonder. IANAL, and don't even pretend to understand carriage contracts, but at what point do you call it a day? I guess the real metric is in the viewing numbers. If a significant number of viewers stop watching Viacom networks because of a lack of HD programming (or decent upscaling of SD content), does D* have the ability to apply some pressure to Viacom? What's the threshold of pain Viacom is willing to endure? I'm afraid we'll probably never have these answers, so it's a moot point and we'll just go on kvetching about it.

FWIW, on that "other" forum dedicated to satellite TV, there's a thread talking about Comedy Central going HD in January 2009. (It may have even been talked about here, I admit I haven't searched for it). But there's no linkage to an announcement of any kind, so I place a very low level of confidence in that info.

DirecTV has no interest in 'removing' any HD channels at this time. The game right now is how many 'channels' each provider has. Content is irrelevant.
'Pressure' for more (or some) HD content will only be applied when the amount of HD content becomes the primary marketing focus and that pressure would come from the consumer, not DirecTV.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#56 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:27 AM

AFAIK, everyone who gets MTV HD also gets MHD, so what's the point? There are many more MHD subscribers than MTV HD subscribers.

While that was true last year, MHD has since been moved to the optional 'Extra Pack', so their potential eyeball count would be less than MTV HD (at least as far a DirecTV eyeballs are concerned).
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#57 OFFLINE   Chip Moody

Chip Moody

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:18 PM

I have not opted for the "extra" pack, so while I get MTV and VH1 HD, (quite the misnomer, IMHO) I do not get MHD.

- Chip
"How can one little insulated wire bring so much happiness!?!" - Homer Simpson

#58 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:34 AM

I really dont get why they dont show their stuff in HD. They show it in HD on MHD but not the original airings on MTV or VH1 HD?!?!

Stupid overall IMO.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#59 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:18 AM

I really dont get why they dont show their stuff in HD. They show it in HD on MHD but not the original airings on MTV or VH1 HD?!?!

Stupid overall IMO.

From what I understand, the equipment that would allow for the transmission of actual HD content is far more costly than what is needed to simply upconvert the SD sginal and simulcast it as an HD channel.

At this point, it would not appear that they have the ability to transmit the HD content to the carriers, so when a hi profile show like the VMAs comes around, they use the only resource they have that currently can send the HD content, which is MHD.
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#60 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:22 AM

I have heard the same, I just am surprised they would not invest in upgrading. Especially since a lot of their content is filmed in HD (as can be seen by many things that are shown on MHD that were on VH1/MTV in SD)
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#61 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:30 AM

I have heard the same, I just am surprised they would not invest in upgrading. Especially since a lot of their content is filmed in HD (as can be seen by many things that are shown on MHD that were on VH1/MTV in SD)

My guess is that the $$$s just aren't there to support it at this time, given their target audience.
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#62 OFFLINE   Jeigh

Jeigh

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:03 PM

It looks like MTV's finally showing HD on their HD channel. The VMA Opening Act is currently on and in HD. I would guess the VMAs themselves will also be shown in HD. It's about time.

#63 OFFLINE   ammar249

ammar249

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:06 PM

It looks like MTV's finally showing HD on their HD channel. The VMA Opening Act is currently on and in HD. I would guess the VMAs themselves will also be shown in HD. It's about time.

Couldn't agree more...

#64 OFFLINE   Grydlok

Grydlok

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:12 PM

man almost a year later.
Hypocrites with fake rumors need not apply.

#65 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,973 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:25 PM

Didn't they show the VMAs last year in HD on all four channels?

#66 OFFLINE   Grydlok

Grydlok

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:13 PM

nope
Hypocrites with fake rumors need not apply.

#67 OFFLINE   ShawnL25

ShawnL25

Icon

• Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:04 AM

Indeed I was correct. Yeah for me!

#68 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:42 PM

I don't know what four channels you're referring to, but MTV Networks only had one HD channel (MHD) at the time of the VMAs last year.

#69 OFFLINE   ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:44 PM

:eek2:
What's next? Music??!!
;) :lol: :nono2:

#70 OFFLINE   Tele-TV

Tele-TV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:53 PM

The Real World Brooklyn (which premieres tomorrow), and actually looks great!, "story" wise, from what I seen from the previews; the show is going to be in HD. But judging from the response of the Real World/Road Rules Challenge: The Island thread, I guess there's not that many fans of the show on this board. :)

#71 OFFLINE   neocharles

neocharles

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:11 PM

necrothread. wow.
Living Room: HR21-100 via HDMI to Sony KDF-50E2000 Utilizing direct RJ11
Bedroom: H21-100 via Component to Samsung LN32A330
Networked: Yes; Both Units Connected via WGA600N

#72 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:14 AM

At least he had something worthwhile to add. I've seen much worse thread resurrections than this one.

#73 OFFLINE   Stealth87

Stealth87

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:40 PM

Just to confirm the new Real World was in HD last night.
D* since February '08

HD-DVR - HR21-700 > Toshiba 42" 42HL167

HD-DVR - HR20-100 > Samsung 26" LN26B460

DVR - R16-500

#74 OFFLINE   jefe303

jefe303

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:16 PM

The replay of Real World this morning was listed as HD in the guide, but had sidebars.

#75 OFFLINE   Tele-TV

Tele-TV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:43 PM

^^ That sucks. Thats what they did with the re-runs (except for at least one episode/airing I remember on of the forums a poster talked about being HD); that last season of The Island the re-runs were shown in 4:3 HD.

Does anyone know if the 8pm replay that followed the 7pm season premiere last nite, was in HD?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...