Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: MTV HD (331)

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,078 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:27 AM

Regardless of the actual content, my point is that Viacom as a whole has shown very little interest providing either an HD signal or actual HD content for any of its properties.

It's as if Viacom doesn't know HD exists.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:52 AM

Viacom may not have much interest in providing HD content at the moment, however, DirecTv is EXTREMELY interested in providing HD Channels (regardless of avaialble HD content). I would imagine that there was some mutual benfit to both parties in the carriage agreements.

Speaking for myself, it's nice to have the sharper picture on the HD channels even if they don't show actual HD content. So I don't consider it a waste of bandwidth.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#43 OFFLINE   ActiveHDdave

ActiveHDdave

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:06 PM

Viacom may not have much interest in providing HD content at the moment, however, DirecTv is EXTREMELY interested in providing HD Channels (regardless of avaialble HD content). I would imagine that there was some mutual benfit to both parties in the carriage agreements.

Speaking for myself, it's nice to have the sharper picture on the HD channels even if they don't show actual HD content. So I don't consider it a waste of bandwidth.

But I do consider it getting screwed. Good thing I don't watch those channels.

#44 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:14 PM

But I do consider it getting screwed.

How so? It's not like someone else is seeing MTV in HD while you're not.

#45 OFFLINE   luckydob

luckydob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:18 PM

How so? It's not like someone else is seeing MTV in HD while you're not.

Pretty easy to see why he is getting a screwed feeling. "Hi, I am MTV. Here is our HD channel...but we don't have any HD programming." = screwed.

I tend to agree with his viewpoint.

#46 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:22 PM

Pretty easy to see why he is getting a screwed feeling. "Hi, I am MTV. Here is our HD channel...but we don't have any HD programming." = screwed.

I don't know. I'm definitely not one to defend MTV Networks for their BS HD channels, but I honestly just can't see how it equals being screwed.

#47 OFFLINE   luckydob

luckydob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:26 PM

I don't know. I'm definitely not one to defend MTV Networks for their BS HD channels, but I honestly just can't see how it equals being screwed.

What if you went to buy a car and when you took delivery of it, there was no engine as promised...your V8 is actually a 3 cylinder engine? Would you feel screwed? They say you will get one, but a year later you are still waiting...

It still works...it's a car, but it's not what it is advertised as being.

#48 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:29 PM

What if you went to buy a car and when you took delivery of it, there was no engine as promised...your V8 is actually a 3 cylinder engine? Would you feel screwed? They say you will get one, but a year later you are still waiting...

NOt the same thing IMHO... More like, this car will get 35 mpg when you use flex fuel...

But then you get home and find out you have to wait a few years before flex is available, so you'll be stuck at 30 mpg, but its till better than the 20 you were getting before...

#49 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:30 PM

If I subscribed to DirecTV specifically to get MTV HD, expecting that they would have HD programming, then I might approach that feeling. But MTV "HD" is just one of many HD channels on DirecTV, and so the impact it has on me is significantly dampened.

#50 OFFLINE   luckydob

luckydob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:31 PM

NOt the same thing IMHO... More like, this car will get 35 mpg when you use flex fuel...

But then you get home and find out you have to wait a few years before flex is available, so you'll be stuck at 30 mpg, but its till better than the 20 you were getting before...

six in one, half dozen in another... :D

#51 OFFLINE   luckydob

luckydob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:33 PM

If I subscribed to DirecTV specifically to get MTV HD, expecting that they would have HD programming, then I might approach that feeling. But MTV "HD" is just one of many HD channels on DirecTV, and so the impact it has on me is significantly dampened.

I agree...don't get much milage from MTV, but it's still a joke on the MTV side. I don't blame D* for getting the shaft here...in fact I believe that D* and it's customers are getting the shaft from Viacom here.

#52 OFFLINE   Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 597 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:16 AM

I agree...don't get much milage from MTV, but it's still a joke on the MTV side. I don't blame D* for getting the shaft here...in fact I believe that D* and it's customers are getting the shaft from Viacom here.

You know, it makes me wonder. IANAL, and don't even pretend to understand carriage contracts, but at what point do you call it a day? I guess the real metric is in the viewing numbers. If a significant number of viewers stop watching Viacom networks because of a lack of HD programming (or decent upscaling of SD content), does D* have the ability to apply some pressure to Viacom? What's the threshold of pain Viacom is willing to endure? I'm afraid we'll probably never have these answers, so it's a moot point and we'll just go on kvetching about it.

FWIW, on that "other" forum dedicated to satellite TV, there's a thread talking about Comedy Central going HD in January 2009. (It may have even been talked about here, I admit I haven't searched for it). But there's no linkage to an announcement of any kind, so I place a very low level of confidence in that info.
Rob

#53 OFFLINE   ShawnL25

ShawnL25

Icon

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:37 AM

This time last year they simulcast the VMA's in HD on MHD, perhaps this year we will get some HD on MTV for the first time.

#54 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,332 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:01 AM

This time last year they simulcast the VMA's in HD on MHD, perhaps this year we will get some HD on MTV for the first time.

AFAIK, everyone who gets MTV HD also gets MHD, so what's the point? There are many more MHD subscribers than MTV HD subscribers.

#55 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:25 AM

You know, it makes me wonder. IANAL, and don't even pretend to understand carriage contracts, but at what point do you call it a day? I guess the real metric is in the viewing numbers. If a significant number of viewers stop watching Viacom networks because of a lack of HD programming (or decent upscaling of SD content), does D* have the ability to apply some pressure to Viacom? What's the threshold of pain Viacom is willing to endure? I'm afraid we'll probably never have these answers, so it's a moot point and we'll just go on kvetching about it.

FWIW, on that "other" forum dedicated to satellite TV, there's a thread talking about Comedy Central going HD in January 2009. (It may have even been talked about here, I admit I haven't searched for it). But there's no linkage to an announcement of any kind, so I place a very low level of confidence in that info.

DirecTV has no interest in 'removing' any HD channels at this time. The game right now is how many 'channels' each provider has. Content is irrelevant.
'Pressure' for more (or some) HD content will only be applied when the amount of HD content becomes the primary marketing focus and that pressure would come from the consumer, not DirecTV.
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#56 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:27 AM

AFAIK, everyone who gets MTV HD also gets MHD, so what's the point? There are many more MHD subscribers than MTV HD subscribers.

While that was true last year, MHD has since been moved to the optional 'Extra Pack', so their potential eyeball count would be less than MTV HD (at least as far a DirecTV eyeballs are concerned).
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#57 OFFLINE   Chip Moody

Chip Moody

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:18 PM

I have not opted for the "extra" pack, so while I get MTV and VH1 HD, (quite the misnomer, IMHO) I do not get MHD.

- Chip
"How can one little insulated wire bring so much happiness!?!" - Homer Simpson

#58 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:34 AM

I really dont get why they dont show their stuff in HD. They show it in HD on MHD but not the original airings on MTV or VH1 HD?!?!

Stupid overall IMO.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#59 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:18 AM

I really dont get why they dont show their stuff in HD. They show it in HD on MHD but not the original airings on MTV or VH1 HD?!?!

Stupid overall IMO.

From what I understand, the equipment that would allow for the transmission of actual HD content is far more costly than what is needed to simply upconvert the SD sginal and simulcast it as an HD channel.

At this point, it would not appear that they have the ability to transmit the HD content to the carriers, so when a hi profile show like the VMAs comes around, they use the only resource they have that currently can send the HD content, which is MHD.
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#60 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:22 AM

I have heard the same, I just am surprised they would not invest in upgrading. Especially since a lot of their content is filmed in HD (as can be seen by many things that are shown on MHD that were on VH1/MTV in SD)
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

spam firewall