Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: Nickelodeon HD (299)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Lance22

Lance22

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:56 PM

I can't remember where, but I did read that GAS is retiring after years of being broadcast within the next few months...:(

The channel will be retiring from television broadcasting, but will continue to broadcast on the Nick GAS website. This change is to make way for the 24hr versions of Nick Noggin & The N.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   QuickDrop

QuickDrop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:14 PM

No, the content providers are adding "HD" channels quickly (some obviously before they are "ready") so that they can claim their "territory" with DirecTV (and other content providers). This is important in a bandwidth-limited world.

Well, Directv could always refuse to add them until they have actual HD content. It's their bandwith that these channels are wasting after all.

#23 OFFLINE   Mixer

Mixer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:41 PM

Well, Directv could always refuse to add them until they have actual HD content. It's their bandwith that these channels are wasting after all.

Sooner or later, hopefully sooner, these channels will have HD content on them but I think D* should set a standard and let these new channels know that they wont carry them until they are broadcasting x amount of content every day.
HR20-700:Component, TV:Mitsubishi WS65807, Audio is connected using Digital Toslink cable. OTA:NO, Locals:New York, Native:Off, Network:Yes, eSata:No, AT9 dish, BBC: Yes, Harmony 880. HR20 is wired, Streaming Music and Photos through Twonky Media Server and internet connection is 5MB DSL.

#24 OFFLINE   bobbyv

bobbyv

Legend

• Registered
  • 114 posts
  • LocationEdmond, Oklahoma

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:42 PM

Just what I need Sponge Bob in freaking HD :D

Arrrr ya ready kids?!!

#25 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:27 PM

I can't remember where, but I did read that GAS is retiring after years of being broadcast within the next few months...:(

http://en.wikipedia....Sports_for_Kids

just as posted above the channel will stop broadcasting at the end of this year.

DIRECTV customer since SEPT 2000 (1) Genie (2) Genie Mini's (1) HR22-100 (1) HR23-700 all networked, total 10 live tunners!!-------------
SAYING NO TO CABLE .. PRICELESS
There’s good TV there’s better TV and than there’s DIRECTV (the undisputed sports & HD leader in TV)
NOTE: my comments are my own personal options and in no way shape or form represent my employer

#26 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:35 PM

Deals work both ways. And there is nothing being "wasted" on the new bird at this point -- they have the bandwidth available. As the content providers gain carriage agreements, they will have more reason to produce more HD. As I said, it's a chicken-and-egg situation. And, as others have noted, even upconverted SD looks better than the corresponding -- more highly compressed -- SD channels.

But sure, more true HD content is wanted, the sooner the better.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#27 OFFLINE   ChrisR

ChrisR

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:21 PM

It's important to note that SD is FINALLY being broadcast the way it's supposed to be: uncompressed. The picture quality of the upconverted SD programs on these channels is on par or better than the 1st generation C-band feeds I remember watching years ago. Most of the content that exists from 20th century television broadcast history is SD and a lot of it is very good, so while I always look forward to seeing something new in full 16:9 hi def, I would never want to lose older programming to make room for it.

#28 OFFLINE   QuickDrop

QuickDrop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:37 PM

Deals work both ways. And there is nothing being "wasted" on the new bird at this point -- they have the bandwidth available. As the content providers gain carriage agreements, they will have more reason to produce more HD. As I said, it's a chicken-and-egg situation. And, as others have noted, even upconverted SD looks better than the corresponding -- more highly compressed -- SD channels.

But sure, more true HD content is wanted, the sooner the better.

I mostly agree with you. The wasted comment was more a long term concern. Clearly, Directv doesn't have unlimited bandwidth. If they did, they would be more likely to add the Voom channels as it wouldn't interfere with them also adding the better known national channels. (On a side note, though I don't have the bias some people have against Voom, given bandwidth constraints I would rather have the better known national channels.) What I find somewhat annoying is that Directv is so concerned with promoting the number of HD channels they have or that they now have "this" channel in HD, whether the channel has any HD programming or not, that they're take whatever channel runs to the front of the line (I mean, who thinks Biography HD is going to blow us away with their HD content?), while channels which may be taking their time because they want to provide a quality product from day one might be shortshifted either through lack of coverage or greater compression. By making it first come first serve, Directv ultimately encourages HD channels to launch without HD content.

#29 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,282 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:27 AM

No, the content providers are adding "HD" channels quickly (some obviously before they are "ready") so that they can claim their "territory" with DirecTV (and other content providers). This is important in a bandwidth-limited world.

More true HD content will be forthcoming...it is a chicken and egg problem -- and the eggs have been laid.

It will be a miracle if no one sues DirecTV, and/or their providers, for fraudulent advertising. Hey, at least all the channels added today are sending OAR. I don't even bother enabling channels that stretch everything.

DirecTV since 1994 // 2013Q2 Setup here

#30 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:13 AM

It will be a miracle if no one sues DirecTV, and/or their providers, for fraudulent advertising. Hey, at least all the channels added today are sending OAR. I don't even bother enabling channels that stretch everything.

In today's lawsuit-happy culture, nothing would surprise me. ;)

Channels that stretch bother the heck out of me as well.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#31 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:52 PM

does any one else notice a delayed closed caption on nick HD?
im using the caption feature on the hr20-700 and its not in sync with the audio, its about 6 seconds delayed.

#32 OFFLINE   phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:02 AM

I am a bit confused. Is Nickelodeon ACTUALLY IN HD? I still get the little black bars on the left and right hand sides of the shows.

#33 OFFLINE   bruinfever

bruinfever

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:49 PM

Is there ANY confirmation of ANY shows in on this channel in HD?

#34 OFFLINE   drx792

drx792

Icon

• Registered
  • 772 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:15 PM

Is there ANY confirmation of ANY shows in on this channel in HD?

yes there is now!!

some of the Drake and Josh episodes are now in HD!!!
i checked the guide the next one come on like 6:30 tonight.

#35 OFFLINE   xxx

xxx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:17 PM

yes there is now!!

And it looks great!!!

#36 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,995 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 03:32 PM

It's still on DISH as of today!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#37 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,519 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:50 AM

It's still on DISH as of today!

Do people even watch GAS?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#38 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:21 AM

I saw Drake and Josh in HD and it does look good, cant wait to see more Nick HD programs, my kids stay on that channel.

#39 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:57 AM

And it looks great!!!

will have to check it out.
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#40 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:35 AM

yes there is now!!

I searched on all upcoming episodes of this show last night and non are flagged as HD. Was the one you saw flagged as HD in the guide?
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

spam firewall