Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Why no "HD" icon.....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
76 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:43 PM

This question has to be right in the top 10 of questions asked today...

"Why is there no HD icon, in the guide for X,Y,Z show on the HD networks"

Two Reasons:

1) The show is NOT in HD... not ever show on an HD capable network, is actually "IN" HD....

2) The HD icon that we see in our guides, is driven off the guide data. It is a flag that is part of the guide data stream... that has to be initially set by the content provider (aka the owner of the channel)...

Why I say "initially" set, is there could be a case where that flag setting gets "lost" along the way between the content provider, the clearing house (TMS) and then DirecTV... probably doesn't happen often, but really no way for "us" to tell.... and I would have to say probably 99.9% of the time... it is going to be the content provider's fault for not setting the flag.

Only recommendation's for both cases... email the content provider... write the content provider... even call the content provider...

Tell them to offer all their shows in actuall HD, and tell them to make sure to set their HD flag properly

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:06 AM

Please post here, shows that are in HD, but not listed with the HD icon...

Channel - Show - Airing Time
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:14 AM

Thanks for the info, Earl. I know Journeyman was 1, but I see that now it's listed HD in future weeks. I know during search it was happening on STARZ, but I'll check it tonight. In case we're asked, what does TMS stand for?

Also, would the HD games on 730/1 count? They never say HD.
DirecTV since 2001, NFLST, EI, and as of 2/8/07, new AU-9 with 2 HR20-700S (1 HDMI, 1 component/RCA), 6X8 multiswitch, and Samsung LNS3252D 32" LCD...eSata Seagate 750GB...12/30/07 new HR20-700S component connected to Phillips 42PFL5332D 42" LCD and HDMI to a little 20" Dynex LCD

#4 OFFLINE   rrrick8

rrrick8

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:25 AM

269/Hist HD- Rumrunners, Moonshiners and Bootleggers 9am CDT.
--------------------------------------------

MY SETUP

Vermilionweather.com

#5 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:26 AM

I did a search for "The Universe," which is on The History Channel. Found 4 episodes on The History Channel's VOD. There is no "HD" icon next to them, but there IS a Dolby Digital 5.1 (DD) icon on them. Interestingly, episodes of The Universe that I found on The History Channel's actual channel DO have the "HD" icon.

So, I'm wondering if the VOD ones are, in fact, HD, or just SD with DD5.1.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#6 OFFLINE   Crypter

Crypter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 454 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:28 AM

Well it's not just shows....

I know there have been several MOVIES on the premium channels that have been in HD and were missing the HD flag.

#7 OFFLINE   arxaw

arxaw

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:30 AM

... what does TMS stand for?

Tribune Media Services. The company that provides on-screen guide data for D* and some other subscription TV services and the http://zap2it.com online viewing guides.
http://www.tms.tribune.com/

#8 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:43 AM

Well it's not just shows....

I know there have been several MOVIES on the premium channels that have been in HD and were missing the HD flag.

Into the Blue was not flagged yesterday on TMCHD, but it was in HD.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#9 OFFLINE   rrrick8

rrrick8

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:53 AM

Into the Blue was not flagged yesterday on TMCHD, but it was in HD.

mmmm, JA in HD.
Definitely MUST SEE TV!

:D
--------------------------------------------

MY SETUP

Vermilionweather.com

#10 OFFLINE   Sander

Sander

Godfather

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:15 AM

How it's Made on Science Channel is not listed as HD, but obviously is in HD.

This is the norm on all the new Discovery-HD listings.

#11 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:24 AM

Mirrormask on STARZ. A lot of the stuff on the Discovery channels.

Seems like this is the reverse issue from when all of the channels starting adding the HD bug to the SD shows. Give em a week and they should have all of this sorted out.

#12 OFFLINE   tuff bob

tuff bob

Icon

• Registered
  • 645 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:36 AM

Earl: are you looking for all channels?

pretty sure they don't do the HD icon for the ABC7 news on WLS 7-1 (ABC chicago). Not sure about the HD feed from the satellite, since i use the OTA 7-1

#13 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:47 AM

Monday Night CHuck on NBC was not listed as HD either on local, local OTA or NBC 82/83. It is listed for saturday night and followon mondays as HD so seems like minor issue from content provider. Chuck also had issues on monday night for many that tried a series link.

#14 OFFLINE   Inches

Inches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:21 AM

269/Hist HD- Rumrunners, Moonshiners and Bootleggers 9am CDT.

What I am concerned about is this show was originally shot in 4:3 and they are streching it out to 16:9. Peoples faces look fat as thry are streched, I'd rather have the side bars like ESPN does during their various HD of SD segments. I don't like the distortion.

This brings up another question: Is there a way I can watch channel 269 in SD??
1 - HR24-200
--··· ···-- -·· · -·- -···· ·-· -·· -·-

#15 OFFLINE   ghostdog

ghostdog

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:30 AM

It does appear for those programs that are not HD, the quality is still quite good.
Do others agree?

#16 OFFLINE   daz

daz

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:13 AM

Some of the new channels - yes, HistoryHD, I'm looking at you - are showing badly converted 4:3 stretched programming. Not only is the program stretched by the white flashing encoding lines at the top of the display are showing through which is particularly annoying.

#17 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:15 AM

This brings up another question: Is there a way I can watch channel 269 in SD??

If you really mean 269 (History Channel) then yes, just do channel up. (Make sure it is included in your custom channel list.)

If you meant to type 267 (Smithsonian channel) then no, it is not available in SD.
Eschew Obfuscation!

Patriot Guard Riders

#18 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:15 AM

Survivorman on The Science Channel last night... not sure what time it was on...

#19 OFFLINE   Griff

Griff

Legend

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:26 AM

We signed up for Starz after the big HD turn-up yesterday. Scanning forward through the guide showed a number of shows on the Starz HD stations that did not have the HD symbol. Notably Zodiac, Pirates of the Caribbean, Da Vinci Code and others. I can't believe those would not be HD.

DVRs: One HR44-500 (4tb EURS external drive), one HR24-500, one HR24-200. DISPLAY: Mitsubishi DLP WD-82837 3D enabled; RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A2000 NETWORK: Apple Airport Extreme, all hard-wired MISC: All HDMI connected; PS3; Panasonic BDP-350 BluRay/3D player; Two Sony BDP-CX7000ES BluRay 400-disc changers; Home-built 6-core HTPC; LG 2tb NAS w/BluRay burner; Pronto TSU9400 remote. Directv customer since July 1994.

#20 OFFLINE   borghe

borghe

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:36 AM

We signed up for Starz after the big HD turn-up yesterday. Scanning forward through the guide showed a number of shows on the Starz HD stations that did not have the HD symbol. Notably Zodiac, Pirates of the Caribbean, Da Vinci Code and others. I can't believe those would not be HD.

you are correct in not believing that. I doubt there is a single movie on any HD premium channel that was released after the parent channel went to hd that is not in shown in HD.

umm.. if that makes any sense... hmm..

spam firewall