Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AT&T and E* (merged Report: AT&T May Buy Echostar)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
100 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:46 PM

Figured this was the appropriate place to post this:

http://gigaom.com/20...att/#more-10291

Om Malik writes about AT&T purchasing Echostar as a logical follow-on to the Slingbox purchase.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   booger

booger

Legend

• Registered
  • 192 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:38 AM

Washington, D.C. (September 27, 2007) -- AT&T has offered to buy EchoStar, the nation's second largest satellite TV service.

That's according to an article today from TheStreet.com.

The web site reports that AT&T has offered $55 a share, while the satcaster may be holding out for $65 a share.

The deal would seem to make sense for both companies.

EchoStar is under pressure to increase spending on several initiatives, including High-Definition TV, to keep pace with rival DIRECTV and the cable operators. AT&T could supply the financing, for instance, for EchoStar to launch new satellite to expand high-def capacity.

Meanwhile, AT&T's TV service, u-Verse, has failed to reach 50,000 subscribers after more than two years. Buying EchoStar would give the telco more than 13 million video subscribers overnight.

TheStreet.com says Oppenheimer analyst Tom Eagan has raised his rating on EchoStar in anticipation of a AT&T deal. He believes AT&T would likely pay about $56 a share for the satcaster.

Both companies declined to comment on Thursday, TheStreet.com reports.

http://www.thestreet...m/10381691.html

#3 OFFLINE   EagleClaw

EagleClaw

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:18 AM

Thanks for posting.

Hmm on one side it could be good for expanding high-def capacity, on the other side AT&T is involved......

#4 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:29 AM

At least when I had to call AT&T for Dish support I did talk to an english speaking person ;)

#5 OFFLINE   EagleClaw

EagleClaw

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:38 AM

That's really good to hear!

At least when I had to call AT&T for Dish support I did talk to an english speaking person ;)

#6 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:15 PM

This would certainly make the decision easy for AT&T as to which service to continue promoting. :D
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#7 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:26 PM

http://www.forbes.co.../ap4162427.html
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#8 OFFLINE   tomcrown1

tomcrown1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:27 PM

the new Dish AT&T
Welcome to Dish the new AT&T

:) life is to to to short so be???

#9 OFFLINE   ScoBuck

ScoBuck

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:29 PM

If its true just hope they get better reception than they do with their cell phone service.

Lots of dropped calls.

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:38 PM

As a DIRECTV guy, I'm actually interested to see how this pans out. This company, which until a couple of years ago was known as SBC (and before that Pacific Bell) has been on a mission to own every form of communication known to man, it seems. Smoke signals may be next.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   koralis

koralis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:40 PM

Figured this was the appropriate place to post this:

http://gigaom.com/20...att/#more-10291

Om Malik writes about AT&T purchasing Echostar as a logical follow-on to the Slingbox purchase.

Yes I think so too. AT&T needs to counter Sprint's Pivot platform, and Dish + Sling would make that a reality. It wouldn't surprise me that AT&T told Charlie that the Sling deal needed to happen to get aquired.

#12 OFFLINE   gteach26

gteach26

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:46 PM

Right now I get a package discount for having bellsouth phone service (Florida)and Directv sat. service. Now, if AT&T, which just recently re-absorbed bellsouth, buys Dish, then I assume that package discount will go bye-bye.

It is getting SO hard to keep track of who's buying who nowadays.

I do hope Dish remains a strong competitor to Directv... competition is a GOOD thing!!!! I think Dish will feel the heat of Directv's HDTV assault once all the new channels are up and running.....

#13 OFFLINE   apace

apace

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:50 PM

Right now I get a package discount for having bellsouth phone service (Florida)and Directv sat. service. Now, if AT&T, which just recently re-absorbed bellsouth, buys Dish, then I assume that package discount will go bye-bye.

It is getting SO hard to keep track of who's buying who nowadays.

I do hope Dish remains a strong competitor to Directv... competition is a GOOD thing!!!! I think Dish will feel the heat of Directv's HDTV assault once all the new channels are up and running.....

Same here in AL. Its only $5 a month, but $5 is $5. Heck that covers half the HD Access fee or the DVR fee.
HR22-100 - Samsung HP-T5064 plasma via HDMI
HR21-100 - Panasonic TH42PX80U plasma via HDMI
R15-100 - LG 37LCD2 LCD via S-Video
HR20-100 - Vizio VP322 HDMI
D12-300 - Durabrand 24" CRT
Slimline - Zinwell WB68

#14 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,480 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:01 PM

I just made a decision to get a Dish ViP722 and not to wait for Comcast High Def availability, though Comcast is my ISP, because I liked having my basic phone service with AT&T, my internet with my cable company, my tv service with Dish, and my cell phone with Verizon. I had some hope that the private personal data gathering process would be made harder by some small increment.

Incidentally, our phone service was from Pacific Bell that was bought up by SBC which became AT&T which bought up.... Well, that's old news, but our service did not improve with SBC nor AT&T - in fact we can't get DSL service. If it hadn't been for Adelphia (pre-bankruptcy) we wouldn't have cable high speed internet in our rural town. So I don't expect any big gain if AT&T buys Dish.

#15 OFFLINE   erosroadie

erosroadie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:21 PM

the new Dish AT&T

Remember...the at&t logo is really a Death Star in disguise.

If I was a DirecTV satellite, and this deal goes through, I’d be nervous out there...:eek2:

#16 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:39 PM

As a DIRECTV guy, I'm actually interested to see how this pans out. This company, which until a couple of years ago was known as SBC (and before that Pacific Bell) has been on a mission to own every form of communication known to man, it seems. Smoke signals may be next.

Before SBC it was Ameritech, then SBC Ameritech in the Midwest at least.

#17 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:45 PM

I had some hope that the private personal data gathering process would be made harder by some small increment.

Since AT&T may now own Dish, that means one company will own 2 of your services... there goes that "hope" :)

Of course ISPs regularly sell your browsering habits (making $5 per month from your data) already - http://www.dslreport...Your-Data-87906

#18 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,136 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:47 PM

This would certainly make the decision easy for AT&T as to which service to continue promoting. :D

U-serve is just spinning in dirt, so anything is possible. What about regulators? We've been down this dusty road before.:lol: :lol:

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#19 OFFLINE   dlt

dlt

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:59 PM

Hey everyone, this is NOT good news by all means, at&t was always known to be more expensive then everyone else with there phone plans, and they dont have as good as a service then everyone else either for the money. I remeber being told you are better going with ANYONE else then AT&T, and save more money plus a better service, if this comes true, say bye bye to dish. What experience does AT&T have with this kind of industry anyways? They are a friggin phone company. First I hatted comcast and would never go back, but now Direct tv is looking like my last frontier for my tv pleasure,lets wait and se what happens. Thanks for being a sell out Charlie

#20 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:09 PM

The web site reports that AT&T has offered $55 a share, while the satcaster may be holding out for $65 a share. ...

At $65 a share Mr. Ergen could buy Manhattan Island. ( After paying off the $24 Lien from its original sale.)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...