Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will Sky Angel go Bust?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DSS Fan

DSS Fan

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 01:14 PM

I use to be a Sky Angel Subscriber a number of years ago and have since dropped their Programming. I thought the idea of having a Christian Based Programming line-up was a good one. Unfortunately they kept dropping channels over the years and have carried seculiar programming like FOX News Channel, Hallmark Channel etc. Those channels I can already get on my Directv line-up.

I think if Sky Angel doesn't honor the current Lifetime Subs with some incentive they will say bye bye. What kind of a company has that turned in to?

I remember seeing Robert Johnson Sr. in the Sky Angel talks with Pelle and Evie awile ago. They had a good vision then, what happened? What happened to Pelle and Evie?

I have a Free to Air system at home and have had it for 2 yrs now. Love it. Their are so many progrmaming choices available and best of all it's FREE. One Satellite carried tons of Christian Programs and Channels. That would be a good alternative for some people when Sky Angel shuts down the Satellite Channels.

I think IPTV is a good idea but at this point is limited to those with High Speed Internet.

Check in to Free to Air.

God Bless!

Peter

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Raymie

Raymie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:25 PM

They could use the two E*3 transponders to provide service (they own E*3 25 and 32) over DVB, which is the encoding Dish (and many other services around the world) use. It's why Dish has an FTA community: DVB is near-standard.

DirecTV uses non-standard encoding, so it's a whole different ballpark.

#3 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:24 AM

IPTV in general may be a good thing. SKY angel via IPTV, is not (in my opinion). IPTV is too new and sky angel doesn't have a big enough market. Add to that those subs who are leaving due to the way sky angel has handled this and those who do not have High speed internet. then there are those who have discovered glorstar which has no monthly fees!

Now if they had offered both DBS and IPTV for a while they may have stood a chance of winning people over. Now would be too little , too late. There is too much negative about sky angel on the internet. If I were researching them for the first time I would certainly look elsewhere.

Unless SKY ANGEL Canada financially carries them for a while I don't think the US market will bear yet another price increase, especially one that appears to be about $10 more a month! I also don't think most lifetime members are going to further support sky angel as they say they won't honor the lifetime subs.

Its sad really, sky angel never reached its full potential and now it probably won't.

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,594 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:53 AM

They could use the two E*3 transponders to provide service (they own E*3 25 and 32) over DVB, which is the encoding Dish (and many other services around the world) use. It's why Dish has an FTA community: DVB is near-standard.

Standard E* receivers cannot pick up DVB. Moving to a FTA format (unscrambled) but remaining on E*'s channel list would be possible but SkyAngel has sold all of their satellite space.

For the record, SkyAngel owned license to use eight transponders at 61.5°. That license has certain milestones including contracting for the construction of a satellite and launching that satellite. SkyAngel never met those milestones - instead they leased the use of E*'s E3 satellite. This was supposed to be a cash lease of the satellite, but it had a clause that if SkyAngel was unable to pay the cash that E* would be able to use six of SkyAngel's licenses for their own programming. SkyAngel failed to pay, and E* for many years used transponders 26 to 31 for their channels.

Over time transponders on E*'s satellite failed and eventually E* reduced the level of service provided to SkyAngel to reflect that reduced channel capacity. Now SkyAngel is making the transition to IPTV and SkyAngel has transferred their licenses at 61.5° to E*. Within 60 days, SkyAngel will own no transponder licenses. E* will own them.

The boat has sailed on SkyAngel remaining a satellite service.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:57 AM

Does this mean Sky Angel subscriptions will end in 60 days?

#6 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:40 AM

Standard E* receivers cannot pick up DVB.

To split hairs, E*'s broadcasting is based on DVB, which is why legitimate FTA receivers can pick up the few E* channels that E* has chosen to leave unscrambled. But E* receivers are programmed to only receive E* channels, which leaves them unusable for the hundreds of other DVB-based satellite channels out there.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#7 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:57 AM

I wonder if Dish is busy negotiating with the Sky Angel channels to keep them on the bird and open them up to a wider audience.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#8 OFFLINE   BusyMommyof8

BusyMommyof8

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:49 AM

I read in one of the threads that in about 60 days SkyAngel won't be able to use the satelites and we'll no longer have out Lifetime Service. I haven't said anything to my kids. I guess we'll just get up one morning and Critter Time, Miss Magnolia and Jenny Kay won't be on while my younger kids wait for the bus. TV-U won't be there when my teenagers turn on the TV after school. This whole thing just makes me so very sad.
I've looked into the FTA options but we've been totally destitute since my husband moved out when our 3 year old was an infant and FTA equipment costs money. I'm just going to have an old 18" dish and receiver that do nothing. I feel completely betrayed by SkyAngel.
God is so good and the roof over my family's head is proof of that but sometimes his people witness for the wrong side. The SkyAngel fiasco would be a good example.
Thanks for letting me whine.
God bless!
Cindy
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of my employer, my kids, my best gurls, or myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis as revealed to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

#9 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:43 AM

I think/hope that sky angel will be mailing notice shortly. I don't believe they will just disappear. After all their goal is that we buy new equipment and subscribe to IPTV.

As a lifetime member with 8 kids and a disabled husband I can empathize with you. Personally I have prepared the kids to expect the worst right now as sky angel is our only tv

As for your equipment, with a new dish and your current receiver you could get dish family for $19 a month. I believe dish may upgrade your dish for free if you commit to a year of service

#10 OFFLINE   DSS Fan

DSS Fan

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:46 PM

I called Sky Angel yesterday and a CSR Gal told me they haven't informed the customers as of yet due to the fact they haven't launched their IPTV yet and yes, they would be shutting down their satellite signals, didn't know when as of yet. BTW, many Christisn Channels have FREE On-Line Streams available to recieve channels. Why pay for that when it's FREE. The quality varies from channel to channel but some is ok and full screen works great. I even have my lap top computer set up to watch the shows on my TV. Hooks up thru S-VHS out on computer and Audio out to A/V in on TV. Try that out.

#11 OFFLINE   JohnL

JohnL

Icon

• Registered
  • 701 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:41 PM

I wonder if Dish is busy negotiating with the Sky Angel channels to keep them on the bird and open them up to a wider audience.

Richard,

Why would Dish give any Free Transponder space to Dominion? The FCC just granted the transfer of ALL of Dominion's Transponders Licenses to Echostar.

Dish needs every bit of Transponder space it can get for the new HD war they are in with DirecTV.

Dominion is going to an all IPTV service, which is REALLY BAD news for rural Sky Angel subscribers with NO Broadband. All those subs are likely GONE. Dominion also has a clause that allows them to NOT HONOR their current "Lifetime" subscribers, as the Lifetime clause refers to the lifetime of the service on Echostar's 61.5 satellites.

I'll give Dominion's Sky Angel or now IPTV Angel, 6-12 months before it finishes circling the drain.

John

#12 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:11 PM

Sky angel told me that they were going to broadcast over the satellite till the end of the year. I am a lifetime SUb to and although i dont watch SKy Angel much i do enjoy TVu and some of the programs on gospel TV and other channels. I was looking forward to KTV when my daughter got older for her to watch. BUt now i dont know.

They claim they have about 20-30 channels ready to go when IPTV launches that they dont have now. I dont know what all they could be. But if KTV and TVu and gospel were available over FTA i would drop SA in a heartbeat.

#13 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:09 AM

Sky angel told me that they were going to broadcast over the satellite till the end of the year.

I was told the same thing. I was also told that "Sky Angel U.S. IPTV service will be up and running by the end of this month (October)". I was also told that "ALL lifetime subscriptions will end when the satellite service ends".

I really think that Sky Angel is going to have a LOT of legal problems if they fail to honor lifetime subscriptions.
Bill R

#14 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:40 AM

Why would Dish give any Free Transponder space to Dominion?

They wouldn't. They COULD negotiate their own carriage contracts with the services (or some of them) that SkyAngel carries now and move them to 110 or 119. Dish has been contractually prohibited from carrying such programming by the SkyAngel satellite lease agreement. They are now going to be free of that restriction. The problem with doing so, of course, is that they would have to reaim the 61.5 dishes to 110/119. But, if enough switched over AND, because of the new dish, added regular Dish programming, it could work for them.

#15 OFFLINE   JohnL

JohnL

Icon

• Registered
  • 701 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:14 AM

They wouldn't. They COULD negotiate their own carriage contracts with the services (or some of them) that SkyAngel carries now and move them to 110 or 119. Dish has been contractually prohibited from carrying such programming by the SkyAngel satellite lease agreement. They are now going to be free of that restriction. The problem with doing so, of course, is that they would have to reaim the 61.5 dishes to 110/119. But, if enough switched over AND, because of the new dish, added regular Dish programming, it could work for them.

Richard,

DirecTV and Dish are now in a HD War. Currently Dish doesn't have as much bandwidth as DirecTV in this war. Do you really think Dish is going to add the religous programing from Sky Angel when Dominion (Sky Angels ownership) defaulted their payments to Dish in the past, as well as subtract from their National Bandwidth pool for that service.

Sky Angel's programing is the very definition of NICHE programing. If they can't or couldn't stay solvent under their current business plan, WHY would Dish want to throw more money and bandwidth at it when so Few Regular Dish Subs would be interested in that programing.

I understand that you might enjoy the programing, if so you should prepare yourself as best you can for the roll out of the new IPTV service (Get Broadband Internet if you do NOT already have it), oooh and be willing to drop a couple Ben Franklin's on the new IPTV hardware, and pay the new monthly Programing fees, or pay for a new "Lifetime" subscription fee.

John

#16 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:01 PM

I understand that you might enjoy the programing

I'm not a subscriber to SkyAngel... just thowing out some ideas or possibilities. I have no idea how many subscibers SA has, but IF there is a high enough number that Dish thought they could convert to wider programming I think what I stated would be a possibility. Moving that programming to 110/119 and pulling in a wider audience to their core programming while opening up the two transponders on their HD bird (sure, they are going to be open anyway), might make some sense. Do a "Best of SA" package and combine it with the Family Pack at a higher $$ rate.

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,594 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:05 PM

DirecTV and Dish are now in a HD War. Currently Dish doesn't have as much bandwidth as DirecTV in this war.

E* is doing OK on bandwidth. Using what they are actually gaining from SkyAngel will allow E* 12 more channels in the East coast states. They could settle for using one of the TPs for HD (6 channels) and the other for SD ... or put whatever religious/PI channels they wanted to carry on other transponders. A theoretical "E* Religious" does not have to be identical to SkyAngel.

Do you really think Dish is going to add the religous programing from Sky Angel when Dominion (Sky Angels ownership) defaulted their payments to Dish in the past, as well as subtract from their National Bandwidth pool for that service.

Regardless of the Dominion's payment history, the individual ministries that were carried by SkyAngel would be the ones that would need to pay for their carriage. The only channel at risk is channel 262 - Angel One if there are any grudges over past payments.

Many of the SkyAngel carried ministries could be chomping at the bit to be able to pay E* for carriage. The "free" carriage via SkyAngel came at a huge price ... prohibition from the E* system.

I don't expect a separate package of religious channels ... but I do expect the better channels to pay for a place on E*'s Family Pack or even be brought in on a paid basis if E* believes that would increase subscriber value. D* has religious channels and seems to have survived as a DBS service. I'm sure E* could pull it off. :)
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#18 OFFLINE   krazy k

krazy k

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 08:40 AM

E* is doing OK on bandwidth. Using what they are actually gaining from SkyAngel will allow E* 12 more channels in the East coast states. They could settle for using one of the TPs for HD (6 channels) and the other for SD ... or put whatever religious/PI channels they wanted to carry on other transponders. A theoretical "E* Religious" does not have to be identical to SkyAngel.

Regardless of the Dominion's payment history, the individual ministries that were carried by SkyAngel would be the ones that would need to pay for their carriage. The only channel at risk is channel 262 - Angel One if there are any grudges over past payments.

Many of the SkyAngel carried ministries could be chomping at the bit to be able to pay E* for carriage. The "free" carriage via SkyAngel came at a huge price ... prohibition from the E* system.

I don't expect a separate package of religious channels ... but I do expect the better channels to pay for a place on E*'s Family Pack or even be brought in on a paid basis if E* believes that would increase subscriber value. D* has religious channels and seems to have survived as a DBS service. I'm sure E* could pull it off. :)

I think you will see them add more religous channels to dish 500 and gain up subs with a promo to former sky ang. customers.
Charlie wont leave it cut and dry,
cause there are potential customers with dish net equipment already in there homes.
thats a easy customer grab if you ask me.

#19 OFFLINE   Jashobeam

Jashobeam

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:48 PM

I read in one of the threads that in about 60 days SkyAngel won't be able to use the satelites and we'll no longer have out Lifetime Service. I haven't said anything to my kids. I guess we'll just get up one morning and Critter Time, Miss Magnolia and Jenny Kay won't be on while my younger kids wait for the bus.

DD will miss Critter Time, also. She loves watching that, as well as Gerbert, ImagineLand, Flying House, Dooley and others. I guess we will be hooking the computer up to the TV and letting her watch those that appear online for free. It's a hassle, but will give her more Christian choices.

I think/hope that sky angel will be mailing notice shortly.

I'm not holding my breath. The fact is when they applied to the FCC they should have sent a notice to all customers. Ditto when the application was approved. Now they KNOW they are going off air SOON, but they are keeping us in the dark. If they think that 99% of their customers are going to just easily slide into the new system, they are in for a great shock. If they know most won't, then they are intentioanlly deceiving us.

I called Sky Angel yesterday and a CSR Gal told me they haven't informed the customers as of yet due to the fact they haven't launched their IPTV yet and yes, they would be shutting down their satellite signals, didn't know when as of yet.

I think their customer service is either being fed a few facts to satisfy the few who are in the know, or they are learning as they go from customers. At the very loeast ALL reps should be given information to pass along to those who call about the FCC ruling, the immenient shut down of a signal, etc. They are going to be a lot of very unhappy customers who are in the middle of their favorite show, and suddenly there is no more signal. They are going to be irate when they find out this had been in the works at a CHRISTIAN company for some time.

Sky angel told me that they were going to broadcast over the satellite till the end of the year. . . They claim they have about 20-30 channels ready to go when IPTV launches that they dont have now. I dont know what all they could be. But if KTV and TVu and gospel were available over FTA i would drop SA in a heartbeat.

I wonder if they are being honest about the 20-30 channels. If they had that many where is the big ad campaign introducing those channels to draw people in?

I was told the same thing. I was also told that "Sky Angel U.S. IPTV service will be up and running by the end of this month (October)". I was also told that "ALL lifetime subscriptions will end when the satellite service ends".

I really think that Sky Angel is going to have a LOT of legal problems if they fail to honor lifetime subscriptions.

They are not going to have any legal problems. The courts are going to take one look at the service, not gone and say "lifetime" meant the lifetime of the service (then shut down).

If IPTV is going to be up and running by November 1st, I would love to see the numbers of early subscribers. Other than online when doing searches for "Sky Angel", or in the SA ads on SA channels and mailings, I have not seen one ad for SA IPTV.

I think you will see them add more religous channels to dish 500 and gain up subs with a promo to former sky ang. customers.
Charlie wont leave it cut and dry,
cause there are potential customers with dish net equipment already in there homes.
thats a easy customer grab if you ask me.

If they add a few to Dish 200 and cut out some of the sports channels, that would be awesome! I would love to have Liberty Channel (first and foremost), KTV, and Cornerstone on Dish. Those are the only religious channels on SA I will miss, though occasionally other channels will have some relgious specials or Christian or Jewish documentaries we watch. Safe TV has Creation Discoveries which is very cool, but mostly we watch Safe TV for the 1950s sitcoms, not their Christian programing. If I could get the 2 or 3 Christian kids shows and Creation Discoveries on another station I would not miss Safe TV as far as religious programming is concerned. TLN has Xtreme Mysteries which has cool religious documentaries, but other than that there is not much on that channel we watch either. Faith TV has Buzz and Poppy, but so do other channels. Doc and Bananas are all we watch on Guardian other than the kids shows that ION carries free of charge in some areas.

Cornerstone has: Dooley, Origins, At Home With Arlene, Bananas, Bug Time Advenutres, ACLJ this week, Travel the Road, Encounters with the Unexplained which is a line up that is going to be hard to replace. We have loved Origins in particular for over a decade and At Home With Arlene has a charm that the secular cooking shows cannot match.

#20 OFFLINE   maranatha

maranatha

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:20 PM

I was about to shift my FTA to 61.5 to pick up Sky Angel. But after reading the latest info on Sky Angel, it appears that it won't be around for much longer. And then I came across Glorystar. Is that the best option to Sky Angel? It would probably end up costing me $300+. There's a lot of stuff I wouldn't be interested in but there are other familiar channels of interest, probably enough to make it viable. Anyone out there tuned in to Glorystar?

I'm wondering too... since I have a receiver and dish, is it absolutely necessary to invest in the one they have advertised (Fortec, etc.)? Is it just set up for that one? What satellite is Glorystar on?

Maranatha

spam firewall