Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will Sky Angel go Bust?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 01:05 PM

Glorystar uses a special stationary dish to pick up AMC 4 and Galaxy 25. AFAIK, it doesn't create any programming; it just provides a convenient way to watch the FTA channels that are already there.

If you already have a FTA receiver, a 30-inch or larger dish, and a linear-polarity Ku-band LNBF, you can point it at either satellite and get the channels there. If you add a motor, you can pick up both satellites, plus much more.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:05 PM

Is it possible the customer service reps are even more in the dark then the customers? if you viewed that NEULION clip it clearly sayd that NEULION will handle all IPTV customer service! so does that leave SKY Angel CS without a job?

As for all those "new channels" lined up, take a look at the sky angel CANADIAN IPTV channels. they don't even have all the ones DBS does and most of the "new" ones such as Smile of a Child are FTA on glorystar!

Angel One Angel Two KTV TVU Spirit

Faith TV TBN Safe TV Familyland JCTV

Smile of a Child The Church Channel TBN Enlace Miracle Channel Golden Eagle Broadcasting

Liberty Channel Cornerstone Television EWTN

Sky Angel Radio Channels
His Kids Radio Oasis Radio God Listens Radio U Way-FM

Calvary Satellite Network All Worship Moody Radio Sacred
Favorites Voice of
Jerusalem

Z-73 KDAZ Radio Nueva Vida Bott Radio

www.skyangel-iptv.com

#23 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:50 AM

I watched "Inside Sky Angel" thinking that they might have something about the change to IPTV. Not a word. I don't know how often they change the Inside Sky Angel programs but I have my DVR set up to record them every week to see if they have any information.

They ought to be sending something out to current customers soon. If anyone gets anything please post the information here.
Bill R

#24 OFFLINE   krazy k

krazy k

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:43 AM

I was about to shift my FTA to 61.5 to pick up Sky Angel. But after reading the latest info on Sky Angel, it appears that it won't be around for much longer. And then I came across Glorystar. Is that the best option to Sky Angel? It would probably end up costing me $300+. There's a lot of stuff I wouldn't be interested in but there are other familiar channels of interest, probably enough to make it viable. Anyone out there tuned in to Glorystar?

I'm wondering too... since I have a receiver and dish, is it absolutely necessary to invest in the one they have advertised (Fortec, etc.)? Is it just set up for that one? What satellite is Glorystar on?

Maranatha

I have AMC 4 and its alright just wish my epg would work on it cause it all comes up as info not availible.

#25 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:18 PM

I don't believe you can pick up sky angel w/FTA. As for glorystar they preprogram your box to only pick up te Christian satellite channels. you should be able to get more inof at www.glorystar.tv

#26 OFFLINE   Jashobeam

Jashobeam

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:41 PM

The customer rep I spoke to said customers would receive info. She also said it would be next year before the switch, so I'm not sure she was "in the know."

#27 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:32 PM

You have to remember that NEXT YEAR is only 2 months away! I don't thing the CS reps do know what is going on. You can call 3x and get 3 different answers. Also neulion is taking over customer service so where does that leave current CS? they may be in the dark deliberately

#28 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:18 AM

I just received a brochure from Sky angel today. It only talked about the IPTV service coming soon. There was no mention of when the satellite service would end. It listed a web site www.777.tvskyangel.com

#29 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,519 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:21 AM

Looks like an affiliate link to the good old SkyAngel site.

#30 OFFLINE   BusyMommyof8

BusyMommyof8

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:30 AM

Richard,
<snip> oooh and be willing to drop a couple Ben Franklin's on the new IPTV hardware, and pay the new monthly Programing fees, or pay for a new "Lifetime" subscription fee.
John

The PTL "Lifetime Partners" fiasco was still quite fresh when I first read about SkyAngel and the Lifetime subscriptions back in 1997. I actually researched SA, their plans, financial viability, their affiliates, the contract fineprint, etc for a full year before taking the leap. I was assured by the multi-page FAQ that as long as the satellite was alive, SkyAngel would continue and that they had plans to launch a second satellite in 2002. After purchasing my lifetime subscription I still had to scrimp and save for another 6+ months to purchase the receiver and dish.
It will be a frigid day in a traditionally hot place before I purchase, consider, or recommend a lifetime or long-term subscription to anything offered by Dominion.

I feel like I'm reading the script to a new documentary - Praise The Lord: The suckers who stuck around for round 2

Cindy
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of my employer, my kids, my best gurls, or myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis as revealed to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

#31 OFFLINE   uncdanwrong

uncdanwrong

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:25 PM

The tone of some of the comments bother me because this is in God's hands now. It's understandable that you're upset if you have a "lifetime" subscription but please try to count the years you had Christian based programming as a blessing. If you can't afford something like Glorystar realize there are already other Christians praying for you. It's not up to us to judge whether or not Dominion Sky Angel is following God's will but if they're not why would you want to follow the same path. Trust the Lord to provide because any "lifetime" subscription is trivial compared to your eternal salvation.

#32 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:48 PM

Yes some may be angry.

However as Christians we are supposed to confront those who are fellow Christians if we see them going astray. Sky Angel professes to be "Christian" as does Bob Johnson jr. Their actions leave much in question... deceit, double talk, broken promises. Now either they are Christian and want to deal with their members in a Christian manner or they want to be a worldly "business" in which case the way of the world would be to deal in the legal system.

I have received emails saying such is already in the works. Its a shame if a lawsuit is what it comes to.

If handled differently a lot more subscribers would have followed them to IPTV. Instead they are losing even their most loyal of viewers to DISH and Glorystar. To add insult to injury Dish seems to want to shut down Glorystar by refusing to allow installers with DISH contracts to sell or install the system. All under the guise of illegal FTA systems. As Glorystar is legal it doesn't seem right or legal to try and ban them. Makes you wonder if DISH has a Christian package heading our way........

For a sky angel being non profit ministry all I kept hearing from them was about money, or lack of it, cost of items and the kicker was when I was told they "don't make any $ off lifetime members". While technically true on an yearly basis we certainly did pay them and don't deserve to be treated like second class subscribers.

#33 OFFLINE   Jashobeam

Jashobeam

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:31 AM

Trust the Lord to provide because any "lifetime" subscription is trivial compared to your eternal salvation.

If just getting upset over how a company threats Christians will cause a person to become in danger of not being Saved, then no one is going to Heaven. People get upset every day about things. That's why Christ doesn't let us control our place in Heaven. Once we have the Spirit He says we are sealed.

I'm not a lifetime subscriber. I'm only upset at SA's lack of honest communication with customers and future customers. We have yet to have a shut off date, or even be emailed the fact that there will be a shut off date. They are not dealing honestly and the should be held accountable for their actions. I personally would not suggest sueing a Christian company, but I can see why others are going to pursue that possibly.

#34 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,519 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:45 AM

So far what I have seen mostly fits into the category of "be angry but sin not". Those complaining have addressed their concerns to the company and have been greeted with either silence or lies. The company refuses to address the issue in an honest way and that should be exposed. Politely, but firmly, as a warning to Christians and others that this company is NOT what they claim to be.

It is a shame ... there was a lot of potential for SkyAngel to become everything that was imagined decades ago but somehow they did not live up to that potential ... they failed in their mission and are now less than honest about the situation.

With respect, that needs to be outed ... not hidden.

#35 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:47 AM

James is 100 percent correct. Sky Angel needs to be "outed" for what they plan to do to existing "lifetime" subscribers and their lack of honesty when questioned.

"Turning the other cheek" and just accepting that "this is in God's hands now" is just plain stupid. This is one dishonest company cheating a bunch of people and I don't know about the rest of your Gods but my God is not getting involved. It is up to us to take action and and also to let all potential customers know what this company is about.

More and more, Dominion is starting to look like PTL and the Johnsons are starting to look like the Bakkers (and thier associates). It may be the military man in me but I'm not going away without a fight.
Bill R

#36 OFFLINE   krazy k

krazy k

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:39 AM

James is 100 percent correct. Sky Angel needs to be "outed" for what they plan to do to existing "lifetime" subscribers and their lack of honesty when questioned.

"Turning the other cheek" and just accepting that "this is in God's hands now" is just plain stupid. This is one dishonest company cheating a bunch of people and I don't know about the rest of your Gods but my God is not getting involved. It is up to us to take action and and also to let all potential customers know what this company is about.

More and more, Dominion is starting to look like PTL and the Johnsons are starting to look like the Bakkers (and thier associates). It may be the military man in me but I'm not going away without a fight.

Amen Bill, Amen........
Its amazing Did sky angel leave things in Gods hands when they sued Daystar and dish Network when Daystar was put On........................
Food for thought,.

#37 OFFLINE   Jashobeam

Jashobeam

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:11 AM

It seems they are planning to build a corporate headquarters in Naples: http://www.naplesnew..._expand_intern/

#38 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:36 AM

Great link! Everybody should read that article, and check out the artist's rendition of the gorgeous building that Dominion's putting up.

My favorite quote: "With IPTV, the company will offer more service choices, including a package for $19.99 a month with 20 of the most popular family and educational channels. ... With more channels, the company plans to do more of its own programming." Hmm.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#39 OFFLINE   destined4success

destined4success

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:37 AM

I am very interested in the Free to Air system. How does one get it?
Destined

I use to be a Sky Angel Subscriber a number of years ago and have since dropped their Programming. I thought the idea of having a Christian Based Programming line-up was a good one. Unfortunately they kept dropping channels over the years and have carried seculiar programming like FOX News Channel, Hallmark Channel etc. Those channels I can already get on my Directv line-up.

I think if Sky Angel doesn't honor the current Lifetime Subs with some incentive they will say bye bye. What kind of a company has that turned in to?

I remember seeing Robert Johnson Sr. in the Sky Angel talks with Pelle and Evie awile ago. They had a good vision then, what happened? What happened to Pelle and Evie?

I have a Free to Air system at home and have had it for 2 yrs now. Love it. Their are so many progrmaming choices available and best of all it's FREE. One Satellite carried tons of Christian Programs and Channels. That would be a good alternative for some people when Sky Angel shuts down the Satellite Channels.

I think IPTV is a good idea but at this point is limited to those with High Speed Internet.

Check in to Free to Air.

God Bless!

Peter

#40 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:47 AM

Title says it all, sky angel is ditching us lifetimers :(

There is an email in that article, I suggest we ALL use it to tell the whole picture!

The article shows how poorly skyangel is really run. They bought property they couldn't build on and are now trying to sell it! Then Scott says hooking up IPTV is just like hooking up a GAMEBOY! last time I looked gameboy doesn't hook into anything.............

they send us a borchure with no prices or real info yet publish a price of $19.99 in the paper?

glorystar is looking better and better

spam firewall