Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will Sky Angel go Bust?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,300 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:24 PM

It seems they are planning to build a corporate headquarters in Naples: http://www.naplesnew..._expand_intern/

Hmmm ... lots about IPTV in that article. Finally admitting that it is replacing their satellite service?

Customers will get a set-top box that connects to the TV. A computer isn’t required to get the service, just the Internet connection.

Yes, because a high number of people with internet service don't have a computer. :)

“If a satellite breaks down, you can’t lift the hood and fix it,” Scott said. “You can’t send out an IT person to fix it.”

But you can launch a satellite that has redundant transponders and immediately plan for replacement before the end of it's expected lifespan. Satellites themselves are rather stupid ... they just sit there and reflect what someone on the ground beams up to them. E*'s oldest satellites (older than E3 that is used by SkyAngel) have transponders happily reflecting E*'s newest encoding techniques. The satellite doesn't need to be smart ... it just needs to stay in orbit!

“We had limited capacity through satellite. We were only licensed for so many transponders, which allowed us to have only so many channels,” said Nancy Christopher, vice president for corporate communications.

Yes, they were only licensed for eight transponders ... of which they happily traded away the use of six transponders and immediately cut their capacity to 25% of what the FCC had granted them. You can't add more channels when you throw away your licenses. The option was there to do what EVERY OTHER DBS SATELLITE PROVIDER does ... launch their own satellites and use all of their licenses. (The exception being NPS leasing one transponder from E* to provide distants - but NPS does not have a DBS license.) The second option, paying for the use of E*'s satellite, was passed over as well.

With the IPTV service, customers will also get Video on Demand, giving them access to free and pay-per-view movies.

The set-box will allow customers to view programming up to 48 hours after it airs, without hitting the record button.

Now Sky Angel has one service for $14.99 a month.

With IPTV, the company will offer more service choices, including a package for $19.99 a month with 20 of the most popular family and educational channels. The lineup will include the Hallmark Channel and FOX News.

Options might make the service worth subscribing. But don't load us with start up costs!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:32 PM

They are still trying for the extra $5 they hit the lifetimers up for. They want people to buy new equipment and then either get LESS channels for $14.99 or upgrade to the $19.99 package to keep channels they already had with DBS such as hallmark and fox news ?!

this company has not been run with a good business model for a while now. Seriously who buys a piece of property and then finds out he can't build on it?! They are soooo broke, yet are building again?

I watched something from Neulion the other day and its largest broadcaster is klin and it took 2 yrs to get over 10,000 subs and show a profit. short time in business I guess but if sky angel is really so broke they don't have 2 yrs to get MILLIONS of subs........

#43 OFFLINE   Bijou Media

Bijou Media

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:02 PM

I don't see why Sky Angel is just ditching the satellite medium. The fact is in Rural locations going strait through satellite (instead of using IPTV via satellite Internet LOL!) makes much more sense. Most people don't have high speed, and don't want it. They are now forced to subscribe to it just to get Sky Angel? Many will just cancel. I believe they will lose a lot of subs by going this direction. I think that they could carry transmission via two mediums and increase subs. Just my opinion though, but they are shooting themselves in the foot. Maybe I should do some research on this and write an article.

#44 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:52 PM

I have Sky Angel but my wireless service ( the fastest speed I can get in a rural setting) is not fast enough for their IPTV. I am not going back to Starband nor will I get WildBlue. If money were not a factor I might get HughesNet.

#45 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:24 PM

Its too late, SKY ANGEL already sold their DBS licenses :(

Sky Angel did not take into account that many of its subscribers are rural people with no other tv access, poor to no internet service. the original ministry was to bring Gods word to people who couldn't get it in other ways via Satellite.

At what point does sky angel go from being non profit to a genuine business? Seems they want to be a non profit ministry yet complain about not making a profit :(

for $19.99 I can get DISH family and for about the same cost as IPTV equipment I can get Glorystar equipment. I would end up with more channels and have service from companies that appear to be financially secure. I can't trust sky angel not to change their mind or even go under if IPTV doesn't work out.

#46 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,300 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:45 AM

There is a difference between a non-profit and a not for profit.

Many "not for profits" do well and are successful businesses with a positive balance sheet. But when a business hits the "non-profit" category there is no room for improving the service and little hope for survival.

SkyAngel is a genuine business. It isn't like they are running a scam that doesn't deliver a product or service for the price paid like some fly-by-night thief. If any business, even a not-for-profit, forgets that they are a business they most likely will get their wish and not be a business.

#47 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:00 AM

At what point does sky angel go from being non profit to a genuine business?

Do you mean non profit (as in not making money) or a legal non-profit company as defined by the IRS?

Many people do believe that Sky Angel is a non profit company. Sky Angel isn't now, nor have they ever been, a non profiit businness as defined by the IRS 501©(3) code. Their parent company, Dominion, is a LLC (limited liability company). They aren't a non profit, just poor business people.

One problem is that Dominion is not a public held company so we can't see their books and see what kind of financial shape that they are really in (but my bet is that they are not in good shape).
Bill R

#48 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,300 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:07 AM

SkyAngel has managed to build a new call center and tech center in Tennessee and are building a new "international headquarters" in Naples. How much of that is government gifts and debt is unknown.

#49 OFFLINE   Jashobeam

Jashobeam

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:56 PM

Yes, because a high number of people with internet service don't have a computer. :)

:lol:

#50 OFFLINE   BShorty

BShorty

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:05 PM

[/QUOTE]

Who in their right mind would want IN service if they don't have a pc? I for one would have no need for IN service if I didn't have a pc; nor would I shell out the money for a service that is not needed!!

#51 OFFLINE   BShorty

BShorty

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:16 PM

We live in a rural area and do not have access to tv programming, except via satellite. We do not care for the so called "family favorites". TV has become such a trash dump any more and we a christians are sick of it. Sky Angel has become the same thing. When we first suscibed to SA, it was a christian net work. Now it is no different that any other secular net work. If we weren't "Life time members", we would have dropped them several years ago. We blocked out the channels, (which doesn't leave very many to watch), that have the filth, sex, offensive language, etc. that a christian has no business watching anyway. If they turn us off it will be no big loss. We chose the "life time" because we were, and still are, on a very strict budget. Fixed incomers, (don't have to be on SS to be on fixed income these days either), do not have any spare money to waste unneedlessly. Does anyone out there know of a really, truly "christian broadcasting co."?

#52 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 01:35 PM

We are on a fixed income also due to disabled husband.

The only all christian broadcasting seems to be from Glorystar these days. they have 2 packages one only ADVENTIST channels and the other a variety of christian channels much like skyangel used to be . I have been viewing some online such as smile of a child and HOPE channel.

www.glorystar.tv

spam firewall