Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need Help "771" on New MPEG4 Stations

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:02 PM

You're gonna have to get that guy back out there and have him prove to you that he's got good 103 signals at the dish before you start tearing all your cable out. You could have a bad LNB on your dish, but you also could have bad coax or a hidden splitter. If the dish is accessible, you could run your own temporary cable to it and check your readings again, if there's a delay in his return.

Those readings don't look like a bad BBC, but since you have a spare, you should also swap that out just to completely eliminate that as a problem first.
Stew in Florida

HR21-100 (eSATA: Seagate Barracuda 750gb/Antec MX-1), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Onkyo A/V (optical), Slingbox Pro/WLI-TX4-G54HP
HR20-700 (eSATA: FreeAgent Pro 750gb), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Pioneer A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi LT-37132 (HDMI), Sony A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi WD-65731 (HDMI)
H20-600 (x 2)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:06 PM

I take it there were no readings at all on the third line. Were there no zeros for 17 and 22?
Stew in Florida

HR21-100 (eSATA: Seagate Barracuda 750gb/Antec MX-1), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Onkyo A/V (optical), Slingbox Pro/WLI-TX4-G54HP
HR20-700 (eSATA: FreeAgent Pro 750gb), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Pioneer A/V (optical)
H20-600 (x 2)

#23 OFFLINE   Milenkod

Milenkod

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:15 PM

I think that I have just confirmd I have a problem under the house (splitter/bad co-ax). I bypassed the line under the house and ran a direct line to the HR20 (with BBC installed). All channels worked fine. I suspect, from feedback that splitters cause unpredictable results, that there is in fact a splitter in-line.

What, again, are my options to replace the splitter with?

#24 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:23 PM

I think that I have just confirmd I have a problem under the house (splitter/bad co-ax). I bypassed the line under the house and ran a direct line to the HR20 (with BBC installed). All channels worked fine. I suspect, from feedback that splitters cause unpredictable results, that there is in fact a splitter in-line.

What, again, are my options to replace the splitter with?

Well you found your own answer there. Use the temporary line through a window if you like until you replace that coax. And while you're at it, you might as well run two new lines so you can enjoy the full capabilities of your HR20.

You might explain your understanding of the terms of your install. It should include those two lines up to 125', I believe. But then you might not like where the install company wants to run the lines and may prefer to do a more cosmetically pleasing job yourself, if you can't pay them a little extra to do it just like you want it.

BTW, what are your 103(B) #'s now?
Stew in Florida

H20-600 (x 2)

#25 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:36 PM

If you think there's a possibility that it's not "bad coax" (in addition to the splitter), would like to continue to just use the single wire feed, and want to check out its condition, just go the Lowe's/HD/Radio Shack, etc. and get a double female "F" type barrel connector and put in place of the splitter. Then check your signal strengths on 103(B) against that old coax compared to your temporary one.

I believe you would be much happier with two new runs of solid-copper center conductor RG-6, unless there's just no way you can run new lines.
Stew in Florida

H20-600 (x 2)

#26 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:38 PM

Could also be a bad barrel connecter down/under there as well.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#27 OFFLINE   NiteOwl

NiteOwl

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:08 PM

I am experiencing the exact same problem.

I am getting all 0s on my 103b Tuner 1 for my bedroom HR20. and high 80s to high 90s on Tuner 2 and on both Tuners in the basment.

The tech checked/replaced every(or at least claimed to) connection from the dish to the multiswitch to the box.

We switched boxes with my basement HR20 and it was doing the same thing, so SOMEWHERE I have a bad connection/mystery splitter.

I guess the easiest thing is to have them come back and just run an entire new line. Hopefully the section that is fished to my inside bedroom wall isnt the problem I already paid for that one...

#28 OFFLINE   buzzbee

buzzbee

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:05 AM

I have the same issue Had a tech out today and he replaced the mult-iswitch right off the bat and then I still had the issue so he gave me a "new" box and it worked for 10 minutes and he left. I get back later in the day and the same problem has returned, but this time on IN 1.

Before he replaced the receiver he tried swapping lines and it made no difference. I believe this is an issue inside the HR20 that lighting up all of these new HD channels has revealed. Prior to the new channels I got what I got and had no problem.

If I flip around I can get teh channel I want to come in, but it takes some fiddling. Red Button Reset also clears it for awhile. I love all the new channels and the picture looks good, but I hate this issue. Guess I will be calling them back.

#29 OFFLINE   funners

funners

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:10 AM

Call DirecTV and tell them to verify your subscription tier for the HD channels. I had a similar problem and it was caused by my subscriber information being setup with the wrong HD Tier.

Be sure to ask the CSR to check this in both of their subscriber control database systems. (yes, they have two and they often don't have the same and correct information)

that has nothing to do with searching for satelllite.....

#30 OFFLINE   Milenkod

Milenkod

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:06 AM

I am experiencing the exact same problem.

I am getting all 0s on my 103b Tuner 1 for my bedroom HR20. and high 80s to high 90s on Tuner 2 and on both Tuners in the basment.

The tech checked/replaced every(or at least claimed to) connection from the dish to the multiswitch to the box.

We switched boxes with my basement HR20 and it was doing the same thing, so SOMEWHERE I have a bad connection/mystery splitter.

I guess the easiest thing is to have them come back and just run an entire new line. Hopefully the section that is fished to my inside bedroom wall isnt the problem I already paid for that one...

Here's how I isolated the problem...I was lucky enough to have my line spliced together from several lengths using barrel connectors. I kept disconnecting sections and reconnecting to a separate/temporary line directly connected to the receiver. This way I was able to pin-point which section contained the problem.

#31 OFFLINE   KFAR45

KFAR45

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 08:57 AM

I am having the same issue. I have three HR20's. One of them is working fine. The other two are getting Error 771 for all new HD channels. The Test for 103B is failing. However, on one of the two box's, I have a direct line from the dish to the box. Passes the 103B test however still getting the 771 message. Realize all new HD channels are coming from the 103 Satellite. DTV has been out once and coming again today. :)
:goodandba

#32 OFFLINE   Milenkod

Milenkod

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 09:21 AM

I am having the same issue. I have three HR20's. One of them is working fine. The other two are getting Error 771 for all new HD channels. The Test for 103B is failing. However, on one of the two box's, I have a direct line from the dish to the box. Passes the 103B test however still getting the 771 message. Realize all new HD channels are coming from the 103 Satellite. DTV has been out once and coming again today. :)

hmmm...bad connector on co-ax, bad barrel, bad co-ax. Do you have a multiswitch? D* told me that my problem may be a bad mutiswitch as they were experiencing a high volume of service calls of similar circumstance that was a result of bad multiswitches.

#33 OFFLINE   KFAR45

KFAR45

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:44 AM

hmmm...bad connector on co-ax, bad barrel, bad co-ax. Do you have a multiswitch? D* told me that my problem may be a bad mutiswitch as they were experiencing a high volume of service calls of similar circumstance that was a result of bad multiswitches.

Will let you know DTV is coming today. Seems everyone thinks it the multi. Although the one working is coming through the switch, and one of the ones that does not is not going through...More Fun to come..
:goodandba

#34 OFFLINE   Milenkod

Milenkod

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:33 PM

how about swapping/switching lines connected to the non-problematic reciever with the one with the issue on the multiswitch? if the working reciever becomes prolematic and vice-versa, then you'll know its the multisw.

#35 OFFLINE   Milenkod

Milenkod

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:34 PM

OK...just wanted to update this thread.

I had a chance to get under the house this weekend to diagnose my problem...and found several of them.
First...A RAT!!!!
Seems that a rat ate through the outer casing, dielectric and shielding leaving only the copper conductor for about a 6" section.

Second...a splitter..old school style. It's the splitter that originally came with the Sony DirecTV Self-install kit back in the 90's.
I'm surprised that I was able to get ANY HD feeds at all.

While I was under there, I ran a second line to the receiver Line-2 and ended up fixing a disconnected heating duct to a nearby register. So all-in-all it was a productive session under the house and now all is fixed and working correctly.

#36 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:17 PM

Thanks for the report. I'm sure there's a lot of that out there....
Stew in Florida

H20-600 (x 2)

#37 OFFLINE   rmaltbie

rmaltbie

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:06 PM

After reading this and a couple of other threads on this problem, I decided to take my surge surpressor out of the equation. Once I got behind the equipment rack I found out that the "professional" installer had left the diplexors from my previous DTivo in place. I went ahead and removed the diplexors and took the surge surpressor out of the loop. So far everything looks good. Channels that always gave 771 are now coming in and transponder tests on 103(B) are 95ish (I didn't look at the readings while I was having the problem:mad: ).

Hope this helps someone else.

Randy

spam firewall