Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can I run a 50 FOOR Component video cable to a 2nd TV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jhruth

jhruth

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:05 AM

I know both HDMI and Component will work - but will a 50 foot cable work or is that too far away and the signal will degrade ? I know I can only show the same thing on both TVs...

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Icon

• Registered
  • 633 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:17 AM

I have my HR20 going to a Zektor switcher with a 6-foot cable, and from there a 35-foot cable sends it to my plasma display. The picture is excellent. I believe that if you use quality cable, 50 feet should not be a problem.

SMK

#3 OFFLINE   bt-rtp

bt-rtp

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:21 AM

Yes, a 50 foot long component cable will operate and not degrade the picture quality. The cable does need to be rated for component video.
HR24-500 with AM21
HR21-200
HR20-700
HR20-100

#4 OFFLINE   azblackace

azblackace

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:31 AM

You will want to run a component cable. HDMI is horrible for long runs and it would require a very very expensive cable compared to a component.

#5 OFFLINE   jhruth

jhruth

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 01:15 PM

You will want to run a component cable. HDMI is horrible for long runs and it would require a very very expensive cable compared to a component.

Cool - thanks for the advice.... I ordered a 50 foot component / audio cable from ebay for about $45 with shipping....

#6 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 01:18 PM

Doesn't look that expensive:
http://www.monoprice...102&cp_id=10240
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#7 OFFLINE   jhruth

jhruth

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 01:28 PM

Going to use Component b/c I'm using the HDMI for the TV in the living room where the HR20 is located - and running the component cable 50' to the bedroom for a second TV....

#8 OFFLINE   bllreed

bllreed

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:24 PM

You're right, it isn't that expensive but on a run of that length he will need a
repeater of some type. I have a run of about 40 feet and had to put in a $70
wall plate with built-in repeater to get the video signal. It would not pass audio
so I ran a Toslink cable which worked great.

If you immediately know the candle light is fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.....ODS

#9 OFFLINE   jeff125va

jeff125va

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:54 AM

I have runs of I'd guess about 60' going through my walls so that I could have my X-BOX in my home theater room (I have my equipment rack in a separate room, and I ran the wiring back when the wireless controllers didn't work as well). I just did 3 runs of RG-6 coax and connected them to red, blue, and green RCA jacks in my wall plates. So there's the 60' or so in the walls plus I guess about 3' from the X-BOX in the theater room, and 3' to my receiver in the equipment room. Then it's a 35' run from my A/V Receiver back through the wall/ceiling to my projector. So it's at least 100' all together and it all works wonderfully.

Also, I ran a 4th coax run and got a toslink-to-coaxial digital converter for the audio.

I also have an HDMI repeater - I needed it anyway because my 35' run was just a few feet too short and the next longer cable I could find was 50'. I'm not sure if I really would have NEEDED the repeater for the 35' HDMI run but it was either that or spend $30 or so extra on the 50' cable and have 12' or so of it hanging behind my equipment. In any case, it works great with the repeater. The cable was too short to try it without the repeater so I can't really compare.

#10 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:57 AM

By "spec" HDMI is only good to 15'....obviously it can/will go further but is a cr@p shoot on video quality.....better to be sure with a repeater.....you've already invested $$$ in receiver, cabling, not to mention HDTV. :grin:
Input/Source Equipment
DirecTV Slimline 3-SWM Dish, (3x) HR23-700 w/DECA
Sony DVD DVP-NC85H/B Carousel
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment
Sony VPL-HS20 PJ (1368x768) => Vutec 110" Screen
Samsung 63" Plasma HP-S6373 (1368x768)
Samsung 32" TFT LN-T3243H LCD TV (1368x768)
Sharp 37" TFT LC37D43U LCD TV (1368x768)

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver
VideoStorm CMX84 8x4 Video/Audio Matrix Switch
http://www.video-sto....asp?prod=CMX84

spam firewall