Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RSN Discussion: Altitude HD (644-1)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,638 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:26 AM

Discussion thread for Altitude Regional Sports Network

Topics: PQ, Programming, etc.

And don't forget our coverage of the new DIRECTV HD channels:

The list of Launched Channels,
Troubleshooting Tips for the New HD Channels.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,638 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:29 PM

This channel is expected, November 14.

#3 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,638 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 05:08 AM

This channel is now confirmed.

#4 OFFLINE   GP_23

GP_23

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:25 AM

Can't wait for the Nuggets and Avs home games to be in HD!:D
I am a HD Spoiled Brat!

#5 OFFLINE   Casey21

Casey21

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:33 AM

Can't wait for the Nuggets and Avs home games to be in HD!:D

All of the Altitude home games have been shown on one of the channels in the 90's since I got the HD pkg. last winter. What I want is the away games in HD. When do we get that!?! My understanding is Kroenke is not paying for those and that is why we get them in SD unless they are picked up by a national provider (i.e. ESPN, TNT).

#6 OFFLINE   techdimwit

techdimwit

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:01 AM

Can someone tell me why Altitude is showing the Nuggets game tonight on 644 but not on 644-1?

#7 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:22 AM

Can someone tell me why Altitude is showing the Nuggets game tonight on 644 but not on 644-1?

The guide data is probably not up to date yet. The game is scheduled to be in HD according to the Altitude website.
Eschew Obfuscation!

Patriot Guard Riders

#8 OFFLINE   Iwanthd

Iwanthd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:41 AM

All of the Altitude home games have been shown on one of the channels in the 90's since I got the HD pkg. last winter. What I want is the away games in HD. When do we get that!?! My understanding is Kroenke is not paying for those and that is why we get them in SD unless they are picked up by a national provider (i.e. ESPN, TNT).

I wonder about that as well. Do any of the RSN's show away games in HD when they are part of the FSN-XX family? Is the fact that Altitude is a stand alone RSN impacting our ability to see the away games in HD?

On another topic, when will Altitude start offering a 5.1 surround feed?

#9 OFFLINE   techdimwit

techdimwit

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:41 PM

The guide data is probably not up to date yet. The game is scheduled to be in HD according to the Altitude website

We'll keep checking but this morning the guide for 644-1 listed "Nuggets Courtside" but following that a movie, "Delta Farce" while 644 had the game listed. That's what I'm not getting. If 644-1 said "info not available" in the guide I could understand that but listing a movie?

#10 OFFLINE   Knepster

Knepster

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:09 PM

I wonder about that as well. Do any of the RSN's show away games in HD when they are part of the FSN-XX family? Is the fact that Altitude is a stand alone RSN impacting our ability to see the away games in HD?

I think that might be affecting it. FSN Rocky Mountain showed many Rockies away games in HD this season.

I agree though, it's rough to watch the Nugs in crappy SD when they are on the road. I emailed Altitude once to ask about road games in HD and they never replied.

#11 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:10 PM

Well, got home in time to watch the second half of the game in HD on 644-1. I had to set it up as a manual recording because the guide info never did update to show the game in the guide.

Picture quality is great.

Hope they get the guide information fixed soon.
Eschew Obfuscation!

Patriot Guard Riders

#12 OFFLINE   Knepster

Knepster

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:16 PM

Well, got home in time to watch the second half of the game in HD on 644-1. I had to set it up as a manual recording because the guide info never did update to show the game in the guide.

Picture quality is great.

Hope they get the guide information fixed soon.

Sometime during the game, they somewhat fixed the guide data. It started showing the game lasting from 7pm-1am, and still is. Better than showing upcoming PPV movies, but still would need a manual recording.

#13 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:34 AM

Sometime during the game, they somewhat fixed the guide data. It started showing the game lasting from 7pm-1am, and still is. Better than showing upcoming PPV movies, but still would need a manual recording.

I saw that change to the guide after the game.

I also saw something interesting in that when I tuned back to 644-1 at about 10 PM, I got the pay-per-view popup which said it was $4.99 to Buy Now or Record and Pay later to watch Portland at Denver or I could Cancel. Needless to say, I canceled, but I don't understand why it would change to a PPV event. Anyone else see that?
Eschew Obfuscation!

Patriot Guard Riders

#14 OFFLINE   Iwanthd

Iwanthd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:47 AM

I saw that too, but I think the PPV pop up was for "Delta Farce". Small glitch.

#15 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:49 AM

I saw that too, but I think the PPV pop up was for "Delta Farce". Small glitch.

It specifically said to watch Portland at Denver, but even if it was for "Delta Farce" why would there be PPV on an RSN?
Eschew Obfuscation!

Patriot Guard Riders

#16 OFFLINE   JMartinko

JMartinko

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:55 AM

I saw that change to the guide after the game.

I also saw something interesting in that when I tuned back to 644-1 at about 10 PM, I got the pay-per-view popup which said it was $4.99 to Buy Now or Record and Pay later to watch Portland at Denver or I could Cancel. Needless to say, I canceled, but I don't understand why it would change to a PPV event. Anyone else see that?

I got home late (just after the Nuggs game ended) and I switched it on to see if it was still on the air with the postgame. I saw the same PPV banner asking if I wanted to watch the Portland/Denver game. I didn't stick around either since I already knew the game was over as I heard the final score on the radio in the car just before I hit the garage. I wrote it off as just an issue with the new setups for all the new channels. I just hope they don't hit us with all of the 'blackout' mistakes that D* has been making on the NHLCI package with so many of the 600-1 series HD sports channels. They are finally just gettting the kinks worked out on the original channels. I guess the Avs game on Friday is the next test. I never had any trouble for the last year with the games on 97.
jm in boulder (a.k.a. john)

#17 OFFLINE   Casey21

Casey21

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:58 AM

I think that might be affecting it. FSN Rocky Mountain showed many Rockies away games in HD this season.

I agree though, it's rough to watch the Nugs in crappy SD when they are on the road. I emailed Altitude once to ask about road games in HD and they never replied.

After reading your post, I decided to try the 'ol e-mail to Altitude myself. Below is my original e-mail to them as well as their response. As a side note, their response back to me was pretty quick so it's probably their canned response.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2007 10:18 AM
To: Programming@Altitude.tv
Subject: HD Nuggets Games

Hello,
DirecTv has just added the new HD Altitude station to their programming line-up yesterday (Nov. 14). Of course, we still have the non-HD Altitude station we've had since it was launched on DirecTv.

Please tell your many Nuggets and HD fans when will the Nuggets away games be telecast in HD. It is great to see all of the Nuggets home games in HD. It is absolutely PAINFUL to watch the away Nuggets games in non-HD.

Please respond. Thank you!

Kind regards,
Karen

Sent:Thu 11/15/07 10:23 AM

Karen,

Thank you for your interest in Altitude Sports & Entertainment and our high definition coverage of Nuggets.

Our commit to produce more than half of all our games is better than most other regional networks. We produce all available home games and fill with as many road games as needed to make 40. The demand for HD is growing from our viewers and will catch on with our advertisers in the near future. Right now there are not enough HD production trucks to go around. Most truck vendors are adding HD capacity as quickly as they can. We hope to add more games in future years.

Thank you for watching Altitude and our coverage of the Nuggets.

#18 OFFLINE   Iwanthd

Iwanthd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 06:15 PM

I've never understood why the RSN's don't have a simple agreement where they allow the visiting team access to their HD video feed in exchange for the same deal when they are on the road. I realize the production companies may be different, but it seems entirely inefficient to have 2 completely separate broadcasts for one game.

#19 OFFLINE   Knepster

Knepster

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:24 PM

After reading your post, I decided to try the 'ol e-mail to Altitude myself. Below is my original e-mail to them as well as their response. As a side note, their response back to me was pretty quick so it's probably their canned response.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2007 10:18 AM
To: Programming@Altitude.tv
Subject: HD Nuggets Games

Hello,
DirecTv has just added the new HD Altitude station to their programming line-up yesterday (Nov. 14). Of course, we still have the non-HD Altitude station we've had since it was launched on DirecTv.

Please tell your many Nuggets and HD fans when will the Nuggets away games be telecast in HD. It is great to see all of the Nuggets home games in HD. It is absolutely PAINFUL to watch the away Nuggets games in non-HD.

Please respond. Thank you!

Kind regards,
Karen

Sent:Thu 11/15/07 10:23 AM

Karen,

Thank you for your interest in Altitude Sports & Entertainment and our high definition coverage of Nuggets.

Our commit to produce more than half of all our games is better than most other regional networks. We produce all available home games and fill with as many road games as needed to make 40. The demand for HD is growing from our viewers and will catch on with our advertisers in the near future. Right now there are not enough HD production trucks to go around. Most truck vendors are adding HD capacity as quickly as they can. We hope to add more games in future years.

Thank you for watching Altitude and our coverage of the Nuggets.

Thanks for the info. It does seem like a canned response. Hopefully next year they will get it together and show all the road games in HD.

#20 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,769 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:10 PM

Is anyone seeing the Bulls/Nuggets game in HD on 644-1 or NBA-LP channel 757-1? I have NBA-LP and I can watch the SD version on 644 or 757 but when I try the HD version on 644-1 or 757-1 I get a 727 error. Called D* and they say the game isn't in HD, even though the Altitude web site says it's in HD and the D* EPG and D* web site says it's in HD. Then they said it's blacked out to me due to NBA rules. WHAT! I can watch the SD feed of a game but blacked out the HD version of the same exact feed?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

spam firewall