Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RSN Discussion: FSN Bay Area HD (654-1)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   old7

old7

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:38 PM

654-1 is black for me right now. Not just the guide data, but the channel. I'm gonna reboot and see what that does.

The Warriors game is on FSN BA Plus, not on FSN BA because there is a hockey game on FSN BA, and the hockey game is in SD, not HD. Since there is nothing to show in HD the channel is black and will remain black until there is something to show in HD.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   bbq-allstar

bbq-allstar

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:22 PM

The Warriors game is on FSN BA Plus, not on FSN BA because there is a hockey game on FSN BA, and the hockey game is in SD, not HD. Since there is nothing to show in HD the channel is black and will remain black until there is something to show in HD.

What are you smoking??? That doesn't sound right... just because the NHL game is not in HD doesn't mean that there would be a black screen -- Tuning to an RSN HD channel at any time should show you a picture whether it is HD or not...

FSNBA is not a "unique" channel that I am aware of -- in such that it "blacks out" any programming that is not in HD.

#23 OFFLINE   Captaintrips420

Captaintrips420

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:43 AM

yeah, thats kind of a letdown. i was hoping that the fsnbaHD would be the same as the SD channel, and when things are in hd, viola, otherwise its just cropped like all the other channels....

what gives man? what a tease.

#24 OFFLINE   oakwcj

oakwcj

Lower Echelon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:07 AM

Channel 654-1 doesn't exist in the listings on directv.com. I scheduled -- from the website -- tomorrow night's Warriors game to record on 654. I wonder if the HR20 will be smart enough to record it in HD on 654-1. According to http://fsnbayarea.com/HD_Warriors.jsp, the game will be on HD. BTW, the FSNBA web site now lists channel 654-1 for DirecTV. Channel 96 no longer exists as a "Channel I Get."

#25 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:22 AM

What are you smoking??? That doesn't sound right... just because the NHL game is not in HD doesn't mean that there would be a black screen -- Tuning to an RSN HD channel at any time should show you a picture whether it is HD or not...

FSNBA is not a "unique" channel that I am aware of -- in such that it "blacks out" any programming that is not in HD.

FSN Bay Area isn't "blacking" anything out. They do not broadcast 24 hours a day in HD at this point in time. They are, as are many RSNs at this point, a "game only" RSN - meaning there is no programming EXCEPT for when a game is on.

We'll all get a black screen until Friday, when the Warriors game is on. It'll go dark after the game. It will go live again Saturday morning for K-State/Mizzou @ 9:30, Oklahoma/Baylor @ 4:00, and the SHarks @ 7:30.

Note this thread started by Satellite Racer:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=106788

It explains that the RSNs that just went live are Game Only RSNs... And he's "in the know".

#26 OFFLINE   old7

old7

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:31 AM

FSN BA (654) carried the SD hockey game. FSN BA+ carried the Warriors game in SD. and FSN BA (654-1) was black because there wasn't any HD content to carry.

#27 OFFLINE   forecheck

forecheck

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:14 PM

FSN Bay Area isn't "blacking" anything out. They do not broadcast 24 hours a day in HD at this point in time. They are, as are many RSNs at this point, a "game only" RSN - meaning there is no programming EXCEPT for when a game is on.

We'll all get a black screen until Friday, when the Warriors game is on. It'll go dark after the game. It will go live again Saturday morning for K-State/Mizzou @ 9:30, Oklahoma/Baylor @ 4:00, and the SHarks @ 7:30.

Note this thread started by Satellite Racer:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=106788

It explains that the RSNs that just went live are Game Only RSNs... And he's "in the know".

Sharkie said it very well, but thought I should add that "Game Only" means "HD Game Only", and far from every game is broadcast in HD. You can check www.fsnbayarea.com to see what games are in HD and when 654-1 will be active.

#28 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:26 PM

Sharkie said it very well, but thought I should add that "Game Only" means "HD Game Only", and far from every game is broadcast in HD. You can check www.fsnbayarea.com to see what games are in HD and when 654-1 will be active.

You are correct.

At this point in time, I think FSN Bay Area is broadcasting somewhere around 80% of the home games in HD for each of our bay area teams (Giants, A's, Sharks, Warriors)... It may be a little higher, maybe a little lower - that's just a rough estimate. I think that this season there are somewhere around 30-35 Sharks games - out of 41 home games.

I'm not sure when away games may be broadcast in HD.... Haven't been in contact with FSN in quite some time, but I'll see if I can track down some of my old contacts and find out any information on that... As well as whether the possibilty exists of the channel going full time HD...

#29 OFFLINE   oakwcj

oakwcj

Lower Echelon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:31 PM

Unfortunately, the Guide is no more up to date than it was for Channel 96. There is nothing in the guide yet for this channel, even though the Warriors game should be broadcast on it in a little more than 24 hours. What is so hard about having accurate guide data for these channels?

#30 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 06:15 PM

Actually that is incorrect. The dash 1 channels are HD games only and if there is no HD game on there, then you will not see anything on there

#31 OFFLINE   Spoffo

Spoffo

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:47 PM

My problem with the "game only" HD channels is that right now there appear to be no guide listing for them at all! My guide shows "to be announced" for 654-1 all the way through Friday and Sat. Some of you may know (or assume) what will be in HD and therefore carried on the -1 channel, but I don't. In fact, even if I did know, there's no way to set up my HR20 to record the HD version if it isn't listed in the guide.

Slimline dish with SWM8 & OTA antenna

Living room - HR24-500 with 1Tb eSATA fed native to Panny P54VT25 Plasma (3D capable). Onkyo 804 receiver, Oppo BluRay, Squeezebox, etc.
Office - HR20-700 with 1Tb eSATA fed Native to 20" Sharp LCD.
Kitchen - HR20-700 (no external disk) fed 720p to Samsung 23" LCD,
Bedroom - HR20-700 with 750 Gb eSATA fed native to 37" LG LCD

Networking: Office is hardwire CAT5 to router. Other 3 receivers are on DECA. All other gear in Living room is on separate MOCA link using old pre-SWM SAT 2 cables

All 100% self-installed

#32 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:25 PM

My problem with the "game only" HD channels is that right now there appear to be no guide listing for them at all! My guide shows "to be announced" for 654-1 all the way through Friday and Sat. Some of you may know (or assume) what will be in HD and therefore carried on the -1 channel, but I don't. In fact, even if I did know, there's no way to set up my HR20 to record the HD version if it isn't listed in the guide.

I don't know if there were any game only RSNs online before this batch - and if so which ones they might be.... I did flip through the guide some and all of the XXX-1 RSNs seem to be showing "To Be Announced", as you pointed out.

I'm not sure if that will change in the future or not... ?

If not, http://fsnbayarea.com/FSNHD.jsp will be your friend. They have schedules for the various teams down at the bottom, and the bar down the left side of the page shows the week at a glance.

#33 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:44 AM

FWIW... I got an email back from a front line CSR at FSN Bay Area who said they DO have plans to broadcast 24/7 HD, but didn't give any timeline for it.

He also said, with regards to away games that "We already do a number of away games in HD. At the moment we share some of the technical facilities with other FSN regions and we’re also not able to get HD production trucks in all the cities we travel to."

I'm not entirely sure what that means as far as future away games... ?

I have a call in to another guy I know there, who's much farther up the ladder than this CSR... but he's on vacation for a couple of weeks, so we'll see what he has to say when he's back.

#34 OFFLINE   oakwcj

oakwcj

Lower Echelon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:42 AM

I just checked the online guide again and now see Channel 654 listed as FSBAHD as of 6:00 P.M. tonight. Before that, it's just listed as FSBA. There are no 654-1 listings, which is consistent with the non-RSN simulcast HD channels. I'm now more hopeful that my previously scheduled recording of tonight's Warriors-Clippers game will be recorded in HD.

#35 OFFLINE   oakwcj

oakwcj

Lower Echelon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:58 AM

I checked the online guide again a few minutes later. Now, there are two 654's listed: FSBA & FSBAHD. I sent a recording request for FSBAHD to my HR20. It appears in my To Do list for 654, not 654-1. Looks like there's more work to be done on the remote booking software.

#36 OFFLINE   rynberg

rynberg

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:46 PM

In fact, even if I did know, there's no way to set up my HR20 to record the HD version if it isn't listed in the guide.

You need to acquaint yourself with the manual recording function then.... it's under the To-Do list.

#37 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:53 PM

Yup, there it is .. 654-1 is now on the list and shows Upcoming: Clippers vs. Warriors. I'll try to have this game on tonight to check it out.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1195239173

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot044.jpg

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#38 OFFLINE   Littledude

Littledude

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:10 PM

Awesome! This is how HD basketball should look. Warriors/Clippers looks great. Hardly any artifacts, even on the close up actions shots. The 17 second twitch I was getting from channel 96 is gone. The picture seems to look clearing. Can't wait to see the Sharks.

#39 OFFLINE   BJM

BJM

Godfather

• Registered
  • 338 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 05:24 AM

Do the other RSN HDs function this way? Or just the -1's? That is, no guide data until game time, or not broadcasting full time? That defeats the purpose of having a DVR! It's inconvenient to not be able to schedule a recording unless it's 24 hours or less before game time!
THR-22 (3/2012 - DirecTiVo) | 720p Pillar Box
HDMI to Panasonic 32" LCD | No OTA
Network: Mac OS 10.7.3 <-> Belkin router <-> WGA600N wireless adapter
Live TV rarely, trickplay often (esp. 30sec slip) | ~ 30 shows in Season Pass
DirecTV since 12/2004
[previous HR20-700 12/2006-3/2012]
[retired: TiVo Series 1 (!), 150+ hrs., 1/2000-1/2007]
Sacramento/Stockton/Modesto DMA

#40 OFFLINE   soloredd

soloredd

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:58 PM

FSN Bay Area is good one- Remember though, the game needs to be broadcasted in HD - Tonight's Warrior game is not. We'll need to wait until Friday to see the Warriors in HD via FSN Bay Area. Of course, if you are out that RSN's area you'll need League Pass, and Direct needs to pick that feed to use. We'll see how it pans out.

Doh! I know this is late but I must have gotten too excited and thought it was HD instead of FSNBA+! Oh well.

It looks like almost all home games this year for the Warriors will be in HD (looking at the link that Sharkie posted. I was unable to check out the Clipper game last night because I got dragged to the Pistons-Lakers game in LA :nono2:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...