Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RSN Discussion: FSN Cincinnati HD (638-1)

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   cadet502

cadet502

FHNSAB

• DBSTalk Club
  • 846 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:14 PM

According to former Reds beat writer C Trent Rosecrans, there will be 145 Reds games on FSN Cincinnati in 2008, including 71 in HD. I don't have a link - this was posted by a reputable person on a Reds board.

:joy:

Thanks for the update Jim, and while would love to echo your :joy: I have little confidence all 71 will make it to 638-1.

#22 OFFLINE   jleupen

jleupen

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:23 PM

Here are the links for the Reds TV info...

Press Release: http://cincinnati.re...t=.jsp&c_id=cin

Schedule: http://cincinnati.re...schedule_08.pdf

Thanks for the info!
5 LNB Dish & Zinwell WB68 Multiswitch
OTA Antenna in Attic

Family Room: HR22-100 > Samsung 46" UN46B6000 LED
Media Room: HR20-100 > Samsung 55" UN55C6300 LED
Bedroom: H20-100 > Samsung 22" LN22B360 1080p LCD

#23 OFFLINE   Jungle Jim

Jungle Jim

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 07:10 AM

Thanks for the update Jim, and while would love to echo your :joy: I have little confidence all 71 will make it to 638-1.

I don't understand. What's to prevent all of them from being on 638-1. What was the point of that channel if it won't be used every time possible?

:confused: or perhaps this one is more appropriate: :mad:

#24 OFFLINE   cadet502

cadet502

FHNSAB

• DBSTalk Club
  • 846 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:38 PM

I don't understand. What's to prevent all of them from being on 638-1. What was the point of that channel if it won't be used every time possible?

:confused: or perhaps this one is more appropriate: :mad:

I'm not saying it's not possible, but their track record of showing Jackets games on 638-1 is abysmal. I have not checked every game since 638-1 went "game only live", but I have only seen one game listed since November. Right now, the Cavs game is being shown on 637 and 638 and in HD on 637-1. Why is that game not being shown on 638-1?

#25 OFFLINE   reds1963

reds1963

Godfather

• Registered
  • 281 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 07:29 PM

guess we have to wait and see ...would like to have more but i guess they need to win more first ..
SAMSUNG PN58A550
HR20-100
CAVALRY E-SATA

#26 OFFLINE   cadet502

cadet502

FHNSAB

• DBSTalk Club
  • 846 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 10:22 AM

Sunday Morning check of 638-1 guide data ........

14 days of "To Be Announced"

#27 OFFLINE   reds1963

reds1963

Godfather

• Registered
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:59 PM

yeah i see that bull crap
SAMSUNG PN58A550
HR20-100
CAVALRY E-SATA

#28 OFFLINE   NKy.Yall

NKy.Yall

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts
  • LocationN. Kentucky

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:32 AM

Well since Cincy is a small market team and behind the 8-ball as far as NESN and YES, heck even STO is said to have all the Indians games in HD this year,lets hope for duel feeds with the MLB X-tra innings pack. Maybe get the Reds HD feed from who ever they are playing. Of course this would require one to not only sub to IE but SF as well for the Hi-Def broadcasts.

#29 OFFLINE   Jungle Jim

Jungle Jim

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:01 AM

How much faith can we put in the last sentence of this article?

http://www.tvpredict...eball031108.htm

Cable Ops Balking at Reds In HDTV
Time Warner and Insight won't commit to carrying the games.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (March 11, 2008) -- Fox Sports Net Ohio will carry 71 Cincinnati Reds games in High-Definition this season.

However, cable viewers in Ohio may not be able to see them.

The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Time Warner Cable and Insight Cable, which offers cable service in the greater Cincinnati area, has yet to commit to carrying the HD games.

The 2008 regular season starts in less than three weeks.

"We hope to be able to offer the Reds in HDTV this year," Karen Baxter, public affairs director for Time Warner's southwest Ohio division, told the newspaper.

Time Warner did not carry last season's 33 Reds games broadcast in HD by FSN Ohio. Insight, which serves the Northern Kentucky area, did provide high-def coverage last year but won't commit to the 2008 season.

"We have not yet made a decision as to whether or not we'll air them," Maggie Woolf, Insight marketing director, told the newspaper.

Both DIRECTV and Dish Network will air all 71 Reds HD games.

#30 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:08 AM

Is this a PTI Oddsmaker question ? :)

I guess we will find out in a few weeks. It was very frustrating last year. Very few games in HD.

But then.....we as Red's fan are eternal optimists, yes? :)

#31 OFFLINE   Jungle Jim

Jungle Jim

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:29 AM

Is this a PTI Oddsmaker question ? :)

I guess we will find out in a few weeks. It was very frustrating last year. Very few games in HD.

But then.....we as Red's fan are eternal optimists, yes? :)

Yes, we are. I'm still hoping that Duane Walker, Paul Householder, and Alex Trevino will be All-Stars.

:P

...and yes, it was frustrating to have to wait and hope that Directv would choose the Reds HD game to put on 94 or 95 (or whatever those channels were). I was assuming that 638-1 would guarantee that all HD games that were available would be shown on D*, but I guess there's reason to doubt that. I will say this: If that turns out to be the case, I will be placing a call to D* in an attempt to find out why.

#32 OFFLINE   daveshouse

daveshouse

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:44 AM

I e-mailed Direct yesterday about WGN HD, as well as FSN Cincinnati and here is the response that I got:

Thanks for writing. I can answer your questions today. As you know, we don't carry WGN-HD right now. However, we often add programming based on customer requests, and I have forwarded your request to DIRECTV management.

In addition, whenever we add channels to our lineup, we release a statement to the press, so keep an eye on the news to find out about the newest channels or visit our website at directv.com/pr.

Here are some details on your Regional Sports Network:

Fox Sports Cincinnati channel 638
Games only HD channel: 638-1 (select HD games only)
94 or 95 (select HD games only)
Address: FSN Cincinnati
6500 Rockside Road
Suite 340
Independence, OH 44131
Phone: Not applicable
Web site: http://msn.foxsports.com
Description: Covers Ohio and Kentucky with college sports from Great Midwest, MAC, Atlantic and ACC conferences, as well as professional baseball from Cincinnati Reds.

I hope you find this information helpful and thank you again for writing.

Sincerely,

Michael H. ID#redacted
DIRECTV Customer Service
Dave

DirecTV HR21-700 to Panasonic TH-50PX60U
DirecTV HR22-100 to JVC LT-37E488
AVR: Onkyo TX-SR605
PS3 60gb (wildcatfandave)
Blu-Ray: LG BD-390
DVD: Oppo DV-981HD

Go Big Blue!

#33 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:56 AM

So they didn't tell you anything we didn't already know....

#34 OFFLINE   reds1963

reds1963

Godfather

• Registered
  • 281 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:42 AM

So they didn't tell you anything we didn't already know....

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
SAMSUNG PN58A550
HR20-100
CAVALRY E-SATA

#35 OFFLINE   reds1963

reds1963

Godfather

• Registered
  • 281 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:44 AM

from what i remember if it is at say st louis and in hd from there we are blacked out if not carried by fsn cinncy ....hd or sd ,,,question does superfan negate this as it does
with sunday ticket , where even if your local is carrying a game id you can still get it
in hd on superfan hd ????
SAMSUNG PN58A550
HR20-100
CAVALRY E-SATA

#36 OFFLINE   jimmyt

jimmyt

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:33 AM

This applies to directv - I think TWC and Dish are the same - If you are in the reds home market - which most of us are - you will not see the game on anything other than fsn(hd) - regardless of if you buy EI or the EI superfan. If the game is on espn and they have national rights, you will see it on espn. If its an espn hd regional game and its on fsn at the same time you will have to watch it on fsn. If its on Fox Sports St. Louis for example and its hd there but not here, you will only get the FSN Ohio non hd.

#37 OFFLINE   NKy.Yall

NKy.Yall

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts
  • LocationN. Kentucky

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:49 AM

The rumor making the rounds,and at this time it is rumor only. Both D* and MLB are thought to be talking about allowing duel feeds or something like what is offered with both the NBA and NHL packs. So we will see how that plays out.Of course this would require I.E./S.F. add ons.See below for further.Lets hope for the best :)

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=116600

#38 OFFLINE   jimmyt

jimmyt

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:55 AM

its about damn time!

#39 OFFLINE   NKy.Yall

NKy.Yall

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts
  • LocationN. Kentucky

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:32 PM

its about damn time!

Hear ya !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hope they huddle up get it done..............:group:

#40 OFFLINE   Jungle Jim

Jungle Jim

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:41 PM

I e-mailed Direct yesterday about WGN HD, as well as FSN Cincinnati and here is the response that I got:

Thanks for writing. I can answer your questions today. As you know, we don't carry WGN-HD right now. However, we often add programming based on customer requests, and I have forwarded your request to DIRECTV management.

In addition, whenever we add channels to our lineup, we release a statement to the press, so keep an eye on the news to find out about the newest channels or visit our website at directv.com/pr.

Here are some details on your Regional Sports Network:

Fox Sports Cincinnati channel 638
Games only HD channel: 638-1 (select HD games only)
94 or 95 (select HD games only)
Address: FSN Cincinnati
6500 Rockside Road
Suite 340
Independence, OH 44131
Phone: Not applicable
Web site: http://msn.foxsports.com
Description: Covers Ohio and Kentucky with college sports from Great Midwest, MAC, Atlantic and ACC conferences, as well as professional baseball from Cincinnati Reds.

I hope you find this information helpful and thank you again for writing.

Sincerely,

Michael H. ID#redacted
DIRECTV Customer Service

Thanks for posting that, Dave. If you don't mind sharing, what was your question to them about FSN and Reds HD games?

This person's reply states "select HD games only", but my question would be: "What exactly does that mean?" That "they will carry only some of the games that are available in HD", OR "only selected Reds games are available in HD, but they will carry the ones that are"?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...