Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RSN Discussion: FSN Pittsburgh (628)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
92 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:53 AM

Just was at an outdoor Vogues concert in Bedford this past weekend. For those that don't know the Vogues - they were a great vocal recording group from the 1960's and the original members were all from Turtle Creek.

The Vogues were a great group I remember them well :) I'm not surprised by the trouble with FSN Pittsburgh. The plan was not to have it in HD until next year. It really surprised me when I came to the Forum to see it listed as being in HD :confused: But when they get things straighten out Sidney will look great in HD :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   jabd

jabd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:04 PM

D* may be handling this the same way that Comcast does here in Pittsburgh.

With Comcast (formerly Adelphia), FSNPHD only "turns on" only when they have something to show in HD. Otherwise, it is on FSNP. They do not upconvert their SD broadcasts and show them on the HD channel.

That said, I would feel better about tonight's game if the guide for 628-1 acknowledged that there was an HD broadcast at 7:30.

#43 OFFLINE   tiger2005

tiger2005

Godfather

• Registered
  • 439 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:06 PM

D* may be handling this the same way that Comcast does here in Pittsburgh.

With Comcast (formerly Adelphia), FSNPHD only "turns on" only when they have something to show in HD. Otherwise, it is on FSNP. They do not upconvert their SD broadcasts and show them on the HD channel.

That said, I would feel better about tonight's game if the guide for 628-1 acknowledged that there was an HD broadcast at 7:30.

+1
Thanks for DLB!! Best feature available on a DVR, bar none!

#44 OFFLINE   Amerikes

Amerikes

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:03 PM

I live in Charleston, WV........

The thing that aggravates me the most about this is that my RSN is Cincinnati and Ohio, and it is the Fox Pittsburgh RSN that broadcast news and an occasional basketball game of WVU.

So, I must sign up for the Sports Pack at DirecTV to get Fox Pittsburgh...:(

I tried calling one time to see if I could change it, but to no avail.

#45 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:11 PM

Hey they are now upconverting the SD feed for the pre-game festivities...

Hopefully PENS in HD in half an hour.
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#46 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,410 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:20 PM

Hey they are now upconverting the SD feed for the pre-game festivities...

Hopefully PENS in HD in half an hour.

Wow! Looks almost like HD, especially close-ups.
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#47 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:29 PM

Wow! Looks almost like HD, especially close-ups.

...and Stan just said the game will be in HD. Woo-hoo!
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#48 OFFLINE   DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:58 PM

The sound seemed to get quieter and quieter with every word Paul spoke during the intro.

Downstairs:
Receiver: HR21-200
TV: Olevia 232V 32"
DVD: Samsung DVD-1080P7
Sound: Sony STR-DG510
Upstairs:
D*Receiver: H20 connected to SA Series 2 TiVo
TV: 31" RCA SD

#49 OFFLINE   whitey2755

whitey2755

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:10 PM

The sound seemed to get quieter and quieter with every word Paul spoke during the intro.

Sound is at best 1/3 the level on the SD channel. HD feed unwatchable due to stuttering. Anyone else in the Harrisburg area experiencing this? Also, curious as to if those of you in Pittsburgh are also experiencing the same thing? GO PENS!!!
He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security.

-- Benjamin Franklin (paraphrased)

#50 OFFLINE   Scooter22

Scooter22

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:12 PM

I'm curious when the guide data showed up for the Devils-Penguins game on 628-1. I've been looking for the Blues game on FSN-Midwest 647-1 (which just came online today as well) and there isn't a listing for the game yet. I'm also seeing (771) on it now.

Scooter :)

#51 OFFLINE   GlennDio

GlennDio

Icon

• Registered
  • 583 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:21 PM

Sound is at best 1/3 the level on the SD channel. HD feed unwatchable due to stuttering. Anyone else in the Harrisburg area experiencing this? Also, curious as to if those of you in Pittsburgh are also experiencing the same thing? GO PENS!!!

the pens game on 94 is fine ... The MPEG4 feed is bad hopefully it will get better ... but the MPEG2 feed on 94 is fine

#52 OFFLINE   GordonT

GordonT

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:24 PM

I'm also getting the "stuttering" effect on the CI channel (765-1?), but when I switched to 94 it looks fine. Not sure what to make of this. I don't think it's a problem with my D10 reception, which has been fine. MPEG-2 vs. MPEG-4?

TV's:
Samsung HL-R5078W
Mitsubishi VS-50805
Vizio E371VA
Satellite Dish:
Slimline-3S(SWM)
Receivers:
2 HR24-500 0x6bd
H24-100 0x66d
H21-100 0x466d

#53 OFFLINE   kaa1954

kaa1954

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:24 PM

Seems to be fine now. watching 628-1

#54 OFFLINE   kaa1954

kaa1954

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:27 PM

I'm curious when the guide data showed up for the Devils-Penguins game on 628-1. I've been looking for the Blues game on FSN-Midwest 647-1 (which just came online today as well) and there isn't a listing for the game yet. I'm also seeing (771) on it now.

Scooter :)

I guess our hopes for a better DirecTV policy on blackouts has a ways to go.:rolleyes:

#55 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:44 PM

I live in Charleston, WV........

Then in baseball, the local historic team for four generations has been the Cincinnati Reds. The Reds are covered in the local media as the local team. The Reds are on the local radio. Only the greed of the local cable company keeps the Reds off the local cable.

Then, in hockey, nobody cares. But, by over 100 miles, the closest town in any sport that has a team is Columbus.

Then in the NBA, no issue.

Then in the NFL, not on RSNs. Bengals are the local team. Browns seconds. Steelers probably third, but maybe Redskins, or Panthers.

So what if FSNP carries a few WVU games. The local RSN is FSNO.

#56 OFFLINE   mdfuller

mdfuller

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:56 PM

Might be a dumb question, but why can't I watch some of the sports networks even though I have the premier package? For instance, tonight I cannot watch 628-1 and it says channel not purchased. Why I am paying for all of these if I cannot tune into them? It is the Devils and the Penguins and I live in WI so I am assuming it is not blacked out?

#57 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,648 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:59 PM

Might be a dumb question, but why can't I watch some of the sports networks even though I have the premier package? For instance, tonight I cannot watch 628-1 and it says channel not purchased. Why I am paying for all of these if I cannot tune into them? It is the Devils and the Penguins and I live in WI so I am assuming it is not blacked out?

NHL blackout rules for the Center Ice package. Same thing happens with MLB & NBA combined with individual franchise exclusive market/territorial rights.

#58 OFFLINE   Amerikes

Amerikes

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 04:12 AM

Then in baseball, the local historic team for four generations has been the Cincinnati Reds. The Reds are covered in the local media as the local team. The Reds are on the local radio. Only the greed of the local cable company keeps the Reds off the local cable.

Then, in hockey, nobody cares. But, by over 100 miles, the closest town in any sport that has a team is Columbus.

Then in the NBA, no issue.

Then in the NFL, not on RSNs. Bengals are the local team. Browns seconds. Steelers probably third, but maybe Redskins, or Panthers.

So what if FSNP carries a few WVU games. The local RSN is FSNO.

Yes, exactly my point. West Virginia has no professional teams, so WVU is the best game in State, and Fox Pittsburgh carries not only games, but much of the news and talk about WVU.

#59 OFFLINE   njs092682

njs092682

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:14 AM

yeah, i had horrendous stuttering issues throughout the entire game last night...never stopped. sound was very bad too, but i understand about the sound. i'm in west virginia..did anyone else aside from the select few who have posted on here about it have problems? anyone call level2 tech with directv about it? parents who have cable in pittsburgh had no problems...must be a directv issue? My signal strength on 103b is all in the 90's.

#60 OFFLINE   jtalberts

jtalberts

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:14 AM

The issue I had during the game last night on 628-1 in HD was that the audio was ahead of the video. The SD channel was fine, but on HD the audio was really quiet as well.

spam firewall