Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

XBox Live--MTU failed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:12 PM

I just bought an XBox 360 Elite and can't connect to XBox Live. According to the network setup, I failed the MTU test. I found a document on the Microsoft site that says my MTU has to be at least 1364. My DSL router says that my MTU setting is 1500.

I'm not connected directly to the router because it's on another floor, and there's no phone jack near my TV. I'm using an Ethernet converter, the Buffalo Technology AirStation Turbo G High Power Wireless Ethernet Converter (WLI-TX4-G54HP). It got rave reviews on Amazon.com, including from those that connected their XBox to it and said not to buy their $100 wireless USB adapter. I have a DirecTV HR20 receiver connected to it successfully. The XBox is right next to it. I don't get it. If anyone has any ideas to help, I'd appreciate it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:23 PM

My Xbox 360 wouldn't connect either but I was instructed by Verizon (I have Fios) to "clear old UPnP" protocols (option buried deep in the router settings) and PRESTO it all worked.

#3 OFFLINE   svcguy

svcguy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:30 PM

I just bought an XBox 360 Elite and can't connect to XBox Live. According to the network setup, I failed the MTU test. I found a document on the Microsoft site that says my MTU has to be at least 1364. My DSL router says that my MTU setting is 1500.

I'm not connected directly to the router because it's on another floor, and there's no phone jack near my TV. I'm using an Ethernet converter, the Buffalo Technology AirStation Turbo G High Power Wireless Ethernet Converter (WLI-TX4-G54HP). It got rave reviews on Amazon.com, including from those that connected their XBox to it and said not to buy their $100 wireless USB adapter. I have a DirecTV HR20 receiver connected to it successfully. The XBox is right next to it. I don't get it. If anyone has any ideas to help, I'd appreciate it.

MTU = Maxiumum Transmisson Unit. The default is 1500 bytes for an Ethernet Frame. Most ISP's will have you decrease it so they can add in thier overhead.

I'd check all networking devices for this setting (wireless bridge and router) and set it to 1364. It can't hurt to go smaller

#4 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:41 PM

My Xbox 360 wouldn't connect either but I was instructed by Verizon (I have Fios) to "clear old UPnP" protocols (option buried deep in the router settings) and PRESTO it all worked.

Interesting. I'll look into that. Thanks.

#5 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:45 PM

MTU = Maxiumum Transmisson Unit. The default is 1500 bytes for an Ethernet Frame. Most ISP's will have you decrease it so they can add in thier overhead.

I'd check all networking devices for this setting (wireless bridge and router) and set it to 1364. It can't hurt to go smaller

I disconnected the router (a Westell VersaLink Gateway, Model 327W with Verizon DSL), brought it downstairs, and plugged the XBox 360 directly into the router, bypassing the Ethernet converter. Still failed the MTU test. :(

I'll have to carefully fiddle around the router website and see if I can find a way to decrease it. I would have thought bigger would be better. I just want everything to work. I've been pulling my hair out all day over this and feeling guilty that I haven't done more productive stuff all around the house. I got the XBox to try and get a little taste of my youth back in midlife. (I was part of the Intellivision craze in the early 80's.) So far, :down:

#6 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:06 PM

Interesting. I'll look into that. Thanks.

The problem is solved. However, I'm not too thrilled with the solution.

I simply changed my router firewall setting from "Medium" to "Low." If I knew exactly how to customize settings, I could have done so, but I'm much too afraid to tinker with the settings. I could end up screwing up my whole broadband access.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...