Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

List Guide (vs. Grid) on the HR20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Seismo

Seismo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:15 PM

On my Tivo, I can see switch from the normal Grid Guide, which seems to be the HR20's default, to a List Guide.
The List Guide. Let's me pick say, HBO on the left side, and it'll show a vertical listing on the right side of all the shows that are coming up on HBO.
Here's an example that I just found on google images:
Posted Image

This is very handy. You can see everything coming up on the channel at a glance without all the horizontal scrolling.
I haven't figured out a way to get this working on the HR20.
Anyone know if it's possible?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   kdjuan

kdjuan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:36 PM

I enjoy this feature on my Tivo also, it would be really nice if we could get the guide like this on the HR20-700. Iam not sure if its something that TIVO have locks on and directv can not copy it or not.

#3 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,646 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:39 PM

bring up the guide, arrow left to highlight the channel, and press info; Voila!, list guide.

#4 OFFLINE   wismile

wismile

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:40 PM

If you scroll over the channel number on the HR-20 guide and push info you will get a list of upcoming programs for that channel.

I prefer the TIVO version...but it's better than nothing! :)
Panasonic TH-58PZ850u
Toshiba 32AV502u
Sony KV-40XBR800
Yamaha VX-861 AV Receiver
Sony PS3
(1) HR10-250
(2) HR20-700
(2) HR22-100
Netgear Powerline AV Ethernet Adapters (XAV101)
Ka/Ku 5 LNB Dish w/(2) Zinwell WB68 6x8 Multi-Switches
Channel Master 4228 w/CM-7777 Preamp

#5 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:44 PM

bring up the guide, arrow left to highlight the channel, and press info; Voila!, list guide.

While That's the best the HR20 can do in this regard it doesnlt even come close to being as easy and convenient as the Tivo guide shown above.
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#6 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:46 PM

On my Tivo, I can see switch from the normal Grid Guide, which seems to be the HR20's default, to a List Guide.
The List Guide. Let's me pick say, HBO on the left side, and it'll show a vertical listing on the right side of all the shows that are coming up on HBO.
Posted Image

This is very handy. You can see everything coming up on the channel at a glance without all the horizontal scrolling.

I REALLY wish we had this on the HR20, but am resigned that it will never come.

#7 OFFLINE   Seismo

Seismo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:20 PM

Thanks. I didn't know about that. Like wismile said, it's better than nothing but not quite as well done as Tivo.
Of course, to be fair, one thing that bothered me about Tivo is that I had to go to the guide, press info, move down 3 or 4 options, change grid guide to list guide, and hit done before I could see the list guide. I always wished for a shortcut to the list guide....so, I guess this was one of the few Tivo features that wasn't quite perfect.

#8 OFFLINE   TigerDriver

TigerDriver

Electronics Engineer

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 10:02 AM

Thanks. I didn't know about that. Like wismile said, it's better than nothing but not quite as well done as Tivo.
Of course, to be fair, one thing that bothered me about Tivo is that I had to go to the guide, press info, move down 3 or 4 options, change grid guide to list guide, and hit done before I could see the list guide. I always wished for a shortcut to the list guide....so, I guess this was one of the few Tivo features that wasn't quite perfect.

I don't understand. On all three of my D*Tivos, pressing <Enter> while in the guide brings up a option to use either list or grid guide. Your guide choice is 'sticky,' and persists across reboots.
Joe

HR20-100, HR24NC-100, HR21-700
Samsung HLS5687WX 56" DLP
Onkyo TX-SR705 A/V receiver
Samsung Blue-Ray/DVD player
4-channel NTSC modulator

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 11:30 PM

The HR20 is not a TiVo receiver, and of course is going to have different options.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 11:30 PM

Note: Thread moved to the main HR20 forum.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   ironwood

ironwood

Icon

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:55 AM

Is there any way to go straight to HD category when I hit Guide button?

Right now I have to push 3 buttons: Guide which gives me list of categories, then channel down to highlight HD category, then Select. I would like to eliminate extra steps.

#12 OFFLINE   personman

personman

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 01:23 AM

What you can do is set up a custom/favorite channel listing with just HD channels.

#13 OFFLINE   elixir26

elixir26

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:49 AM

If you scroll over the channel number on the HR-20 guide and push info you will get a list of upcoming programs for that channel.

I prefer the TIVO version...but it's better than nothing! :)

Great tip! I learn something every day in this forum. Thanks
1 HR20-700
3 HR24-500
1 HR24-100
1 AZiO External Enclosure
WD 2tb WD20EADS,
WD 2tb WD20EURS,

#14 OFFLINE   NCMAT

NCMAT

Godfather

• Registered
  • 331 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 01:22 PM

What you can do is set up a custom/favorite channel listing with just HD channels.

But of course you have to remember to add the new HD channels to your favorites as they come on line.

And it takes 10 button presses to switch from your HD custom list back to the All Channels list.

#15 OFFLINE   personman

personman

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 01:25 PM

But of course you have to remember to add the new HD channels to your favorites as they come on line.

And it takes 10 button presses to switch from your HD custom list back to the All Channels list.

True.

But 10 button presses, I count 4. (Edit, So I can't count, it's still half of ten (right?))

• Menu
  • Page Down
  • Select
  • Up/Down
  • Select

#16 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,663 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:23 PM

For those who like the TiVo-style GUIDE, please vote it up higher on the current Wish List! TIA. /steve

OPTION for a TiVo-style GUIDE list (text-only, no GRID).
/steve

#17 OFFLINE   TigerDriver

TigerDriver

Electronics Engineer

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:34 PM

It would be more effective if you could somehow associate the D* guide with a middle finger...

#18 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:38 PM

It would be more effective if you could somehow associate the D* guide with a middle finger...

:up:

#19 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:33 PM

Posted Image

I used to love this guide too. What's funny is there was a time, as I'm sure many people remember when this was the guide out of necessity because the DirecTV guide was SO SLOWWW it was unusable. Then finally came the long awaited 6.3 update, with the key feature..speed of the grid guide.:) Irony.
SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

#20 OFFLINE   digger16309

digger16309

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:28 PM

Thank you! I've been looking for that for 2 months! It's not as good as Tivo but good enough.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...