Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 Picture Quality vs Sony HD200

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TooManyToys

TooManyToys

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:39 AM

We got our 2 HR20's installed last week, but since both our Sony 60" GVII and 34XBR use DVI we had to get new cables. The HD200 have DVI. So for the first week we used component, and now I have the HDMI - DVI cables hooked up.

At first I thought that the poorer PQ was due to component, but now with the HDMI out, the pictures as now as detailed as they were with the HD200s. This is true for both OTA and D*.

Everyone who looked at the images with the old HD 200s always commented on how good they were. The detail when looking at Nature shows (Planet Earth in MPEG2), OTA was always fantastic. Now just OK even with the MPEG4 channels.

I've gone through both HR20's pushing the different formats, but nothing helps.

Have other people found this to be true, especially going from the HD200 to the H20 / HR20?

Is there something I am missing in the setup that could be causing this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bt-rtp

bt-rtp

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 04:59 PM

We got our 2 HR20's installed last week, but since both our Sony 60" GVII and 34XBR use DVI we had to get new cables. The HD200 have DVI. So for the first week we used component, and now I have the HDMI - DVI cables hooked up.

At first I thought that the poorer PQ was due to component, but now with the HDMI out, the pictures as now as detailed as they were with the HD200s. This is true for both OTA and D*.

Everyone who looked at the images with the old HD 200s always commented on how good they were. The detail when looking at Nature shows (Planet Earth in MPEG2), OTA was always fantastic. Now just OK even with the MPEG4 channels.

I've gone through both HR20's pushing the different formats, but nothing helps.

Have other people found this to be true, especially going from the HD200 to the H20 / HR20?

Is there something I am missing in the setup that could be causing this?

First, you could try to configure the HR20 to only output the format that matches your display, either 720p or 1080i. I suggest disabling native mode amd 480i and 480p was well.

Second, the new HD channels are encoded (compressed) in the MPEG-4 protocol. This is a compression algorithm. There is some very small loss of detail compared to Over The Air (OTA) non-compressed HDTV sources and the old MPEG-2 HD channels such as those channels that are in the 70's channel range like Discovery HD and HDnet.

Many here on DBSTalk recommend adjusting your display attributes when a new receiver is installed. I'd suggest that you give this a try to see if it improves the picture quality on the new MPEG-4 HD channels. It usually does.

Some of the new MPEG-4 HD channels are better than others. This is out of DirecTVs -and- our control, so choose a good one to experiment changing your display settings with such as National Geographic HD or maybe CNN.
HR24-500 with AM21
HR21-200
HR20-700
HR20-100

#3 OFFLINE   TooManyToys

TooManyToys

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 06:53 PM

Thanks for the response.

Both have been set to each of the displays format. One is 720 (60") and the other 1080 (34"). Also had tried feeding 1080 into the 720 display.

Where this is really noticeable is when watching CBS out of NYC with OTA. Ch 2 used to be spectacular, as were any of the Nature HD content. And yes, I've been using the 70's channels. As I mentioned to someone I know with the HD200, looking at HD at this point is in the same league as watching standard DVD.

Jack

#4 OFFLINE   bt-rtp

bt-rtp

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for the response.

Both have been set to each of the displays format. One is 720 (60") and the other 1080 (34"). Also had tried feeding 1080 into the 720 display.

Where this is really noticeable is when watching CBS out of NYC with OTA. Ch 2 used to be spectacular, as were any of the Nature HD content. And yes, I've been using the 70's channels. As I mentioned to someone I know with the HD200, looking at HD at this point is in the same league as watching standard DVD.

Jack

Since you pointed out CBS, try watching CSI: Miami on Monday night via OTA as an informal test. The video quality is usually outstanding. Lots of vivid colors. Keep the HR20 at 720p for your 60".
HR24-500 with AM21
HR21-200
HR20-700
HR20-100

#5 OFFLINE   TooManyToys

TooManyToys

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 06:55 PM

Tonight I set up the old HD200 for OTA, and used the HR20-100 for D*. Switched back and forth while on CBS, NBC and ABC. Used DVI/HDMI and composite for both as well as composite out for both. Each and every time the HD200 had a better image. Then went to the HR20 only, comparing OTA vs D*, which was not much of difference.

The older Sony has a sharper, more colorful image. I've taken a step back.

#6 OFFLINE   mgavs

mgavs

Legend

• Registered
  • 261 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:15 AM

I just replaced my HD200 with an HR20-700 last night (first one) and my wife and I see a big difference. BTW, we are feeding native into a VP50 processor which normally does a fantastic job. But even that shows the difference. We are using BetterCables HDMI which is great. On top of that, the darn thing does not output 480i 4x3 automatically. The VP50 does all the scaling and the HR20 puts out 480i as 16x9 with bars unless you tell it change to 4x3. This thing really sucks, but if we want more HD channels we're stuck. Hope the HR21 fixes this stuff. Anyway, you're not alone, we tested just as you did and there is no comparison to the HD200. I am rethinking my plans and may keep the HD200 when company comes over. Yes, same as you everyone commented on how spectacular the picture was.

Question: is your a 100 or 700? Mine is a 700.

#7 OFFLINE   TooManyToys

TooManyToys

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:17 PM

I have one of each. Doesn't make a difference which one I use. I also started a thread over on AVS.

I have the HD200 set up for OTA. If this is the best I can get with the D* receivers, I'll be trying Fios as soon as they finish installing it in our street. This really is a step back.

#8 OFFLINE   phat78boy

phat78boy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:22 PM

I had the Samsung SIR-360 and I still think that was one of my best HD boxes. Never had the Sony, but I think the quality was much better when the companies actually owned their boxes.

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:02 PM

I'm promoting this to the main HR20 forum... to keep the discussion going.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,848 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:18 PM

I'm promoting this to the main HR20 forum... to keep the discussion going.

And since you have:
I had the Sony SAT HD-200 and then the -300 before I got my first H20. I used a DVI to HDMI cable to connect to my Sony RPTV.
Then I did a lot of side by side comparing. I didn't find the H20 to be worse in any way.
I've since upgraded my TV and moved on to HR-20s and till find the PQ great.
While the LA MPEG-2 looks softer than my local MPEG-4 and the OTA still has the edge over both.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   Bergthold

Bergthold

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:23 AM

I had a Sony HD200 and a Sony HD300 for years before getting my first HR20 last April then another one in May. I have not noticed any difference in picture quality, although I never did a side by side comparison.

I never had Tivo or a DVR before, because the "hi-def" was more important to me. The Sony boxes are great, I still use the HD300 as my third receiver.

#12 OFFLINE   jes

jes

Icon

• Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:05 PM

you can view my observations here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...00&postcount=10

Protected By... spam firewall...And...