Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

XBOX 360 Red Rings

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Benny Blades

Benny Blades

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:49 PM

Hey guys...I think I know the answer but wanted to hear if others have had this problem. My 360 is freezing when playing and I get the red rings of death when I turn it on. When the problem started early on, MS told me to check my cable/connections...they even said to "try someone else’s cable". Well the damn thing is red ringing of death now...time for surgery back at MS??

If it has to go in, are they fixing known problems or is there a possibility it could eat crow again? I also heard the turn around is high and you get someone else’s unit back that was sent in for repair…..true?? I was going to write my info at the bottom in a Sharpie!

Benny Blades

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HDsnob

HDsnob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:53 PM

sorry man, but it's due for a trip to MS. I sent mine in for the same reason and got it back pretty quick (less than 2 weeks - tracking numbers were supplied both ways). I made some distinguishing marks on mine to make sure I got it back and I did, but I could have just been lucky. good luck!
HR20-700
HR20-100
AT9 5LNB Dish
Zinwell WB68 Multiswitch
XBOX 360 w/ HD DVD Drive

HR20-700: Connected via HDMI to Hitachi 55VG825
HR20-100: Connected via HDMI to Olevia 232T

#3 OFFLINE   phat78boy

phat78boy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:54 PM

Red rings are usually from overheating, although there are other reasons for it. Is your 360 confined? If so, can you get it more air flow?

As for what you will get back, a lot of boxes were being replaced with the 65nm motherboard. Its a smaller chipset and runs cooler. I have heard of people getting crap back, but they were usually able to get it swapped out again after calling MS. Good luck.

#4 OFFLINE   Benny Blades

Benny Blades

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:04 PM

sorry man, but it's due for a trip to MS. I sent mine in for the same reason and got it back pretty quick (less than 2 weeks - tracking numbers were supplied both ways). I made some distinguishing marks on mine to make sure I got it back and I did, but I could have just been lucky. good luck!

HDsnob....thanks for the quick reply! If you don't mind me asking, where did you make your little marks? 2 weeks aint bad...I can live with that!

#5 OFFLINE   Benny Blades

Benny Blades

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:07 PM

Red rings are usually from overheating, although there are other reasons for it. Is your 360 confined? If so, can you get it more air flow?

As for what you will get back, a lot of boxes were being replaced with the 65nm motherboard. Its a smaller chipset and runs cooler. I have heard of people getting crap back, but they were usually able to get it swapped out again after calling MS. Good luck.

Phat....Outside of opening up the box, how do I know if I'm getting the 65nm MB?? Yes, my 360...like my HR20 have plenty of air flow! I want to make sure I don't get any crap back if you know what I mean!

Benny Blades

#6 OFFLINE   phat78boy

phat78boy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:13 PM

Phat....Outside of opening up the box, how do I know if I'm getting the 65nm MB?? Yes, my 360...like my HR20 have plenty of air flow! I want to make sure I don't get any crap back if you know what I mean!

Benny Blades

There is no way without opening your 360(unless it has HDMI). That has been MS's fix of choice lately. They were at first replacing heat sinks, but since the release of the new MB they have been using that instead. Your serial number is a good way to track your box.

#7 OFFLINE   geno58

geno58

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:11 PM

Mine is doing the same thing. Where exactly did you send it too???? Do you have an address. :hurah:

#8 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:36 PM

Mine is doing the same thing. Where exactly did you send it too???? Do you have an address. :hurah:

They send you a box. I just got mine back yesterday.

you can go to xbox.com and set up a ticket, or call 1-800-4-MY-XBOX

pretty easy to do. Mine took almost 3 weeks and I got a refurb back. They had my unit in shop for a while, so i don't know if they tried to fix it and couldn't, or what. But, it works fine, so i'm okay. this one is still under the 3year warranty, so if it breaks again, at least they'll fix it.
Outside: Slimline AU-9, SWM-8

Inside: HR20(2), H20-100(1), Sony SAT-T60(1), Sony Bravia 55" LCD HDTV, Onkyo Receiver with HDMI Switching, Wii

#9 OFFLINE   shollowa74

shollowa74

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:30 PM

I just lost my launch unit due to the Red Ring issue. It took me about two weeks to get back a refurb unit. The real bad news is that the refurb unit lasted about 20 minutes - literally after I got it hooked back up and then it tanked again.

I am curious to hear your experience. I worry Microsoft is rushing things and not fixing things properly.
SWM Dish

#10 OFFLINE   Benny Blades

Benny Blades

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:20 AM

I just lost my launch unit due to the Red Ring issue. It took me about two weeks to get back a refurb unit. The real bad news is that the refurb unit lasted about 20 minutes - literally after I got it hooked back up and then it tanked again.

I am curious to hear your experience. I worry Microsoft is rushing things and not fixing things properly.

That stinks...keep us posted on how things work out for you....I'm calling today to get a box sent to me so it can go in for repair.

#11 OFFLINE   countysky

countysky

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:57 PM

Yeah, my X-Box got the rings of death also. I had to send it back to get fixed and I miss it greatly:( Luckily, it's due to return here shortly, so when it does, I think I may hold it close to me as I sleep at night.

countysky
satellite internet

#12 OFFLINE   MalibuRacing

MalibuRacing

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:36 PM

Our first unit continually locked-up from the get-go. I returned it to the store and got a replacement. Our second one lasted about 6 months, then got the red ring of death. Microsoft said it takes 2 weeks to get return box. I got fustrated, so I took it back to Best Buy and they gave me a new one on the spot, no questions asked. Kudos to Best Buy, BTW. I still have the Xbox Coffin (return box) in case this one dies. :mad:
H20, HR20, HR21

Protected By... spam firewall...And...