Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

750GB too small for anyone?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jeff125va

jeff125va

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:32 AM

Is anyone finding their 750GB drive not to be big enough? If so, what are your viewing habits like? I've only been using mine since mid-September. I've had two HD-TiVo's, one with 63 HD hours and one with 70 hours, for the past couple of years. I generally had the same season pass list on both, but in reverse order on one of them, to make sure I didn't miss anything when I had 3-or-more-way conflicts. We're usually several weeks behind on shows, and it generally gets worse as the TV season goes on. We catch up a little during heavy rerun periods but get further behind during sweeps. We could usually enjoy the convenience of watching shows in either room for a few months, but then eventually we have to go through and delete duplicates from one or the other, and usually lose a few recordings if we don't realize in time that we need to do that.

I'm hoping I won't have to deal with that as much with the 750GB drives and a lot more mpeg-4 recordings. Plus the space remaining indicator will at least let me know when I need to delete stuff. But I've also gotten rid of my SD-TiVo so my kids will be recording a lot of shows on the HR-20 in that room. Plus with all the new HD channels I might end up recording stuff in HD that was only available in SD before.

Anyway, just wondering if people are really filling up their 1TB and larger drives and arrays. I'm getting another HR20 delivered and "installed" next week and I'd like to start fresh with the external drive. I ordered a 750GB FAP from Best Buy but still have time to get something larger.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:33 PM

I find 750gb too small for a DVR that stores my favorite movies for instant access. I currently have all 6 Star Wars movies and several others in HD, leaving me with just enough space for the weely load of viewing and timeshifting. (Especially if I go on a trip for 10 days.)

My next move, will be a larger array with raid5 protection. Still watching the need vs. the price. Might be soon. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#3 OFFLINE   dxdenis02

dxdenis02

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:39 PM

might not be the most elegant solution but might be the most cost effective... you can always keep swapping drives as they fill up, providing your HDD is removable from your enclosure... i can swap drives with my screw less enclosure in seconds... great for archiving

#4 OFFLINE   mndwalsh

mndwalsh

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:22 PM

750gb seems fine for me right now. I usually am around 40-60% free but with all the new channels I can see a need for more. I also have an HR10-250 as backup which I may replace with another hr20 and a larger drive.

#5 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,965 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:23 PM

Have 750GB on all three HR20's and been fine here.

Wife and kid's HR20's it's overkill but now nothing important ever gets deleted.

My HR20 usually is fine. Have about 15-20 Series Links but usually watch most within a week or two.

#6 OFFLINE   MikeekiM

MikeekiM

Godfather

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:28 PM

Large hard drives give me the flexibility of being lazy... The larger the hard drive, the lazier I can get... the smaller the hard drive, the more "on top" of things I need to be in terms of clearing out my shows before they get deleted...

I have two DirecTiVos with about 225 hour capacities on each... This allows me to be pretty lazy... I can even record the entire series of a show like Angel and watch it at my convenience...

750GB only gives me 100-150 hours of HD...(and I only record HD on my HR20...leaving SD to be recorded on my SD TiVos)... This allows me to be reasonably lazy...but not as lazy as I am used to being!!!

So bottom line: 750GB is enough for my needs for timeshifting, and gives me reasonable time to watch my shows before getting deleted... But I would love more space so that I can archive shows/movies that I want to keep and be able to be a lot lazier on my viewing... It is really the difference between need and want... It's all that I need...it's not all that I want :D

#7 OFFLINE   Maxfli

Maxfli

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:41 PM

I am looking to move beyond 750 GB solution, but haven't found the right one yet. I'd like a rack mount solution to put into my Mid Atlantic rack. Any ideas?

#8 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 07:18 AM

750GB is good for me.The real concern is that everything that is recorded(esp "archived" type prorams) is tied to that particular HR20 and it's longevity.Lose that HR20,lose all your recordings!

#9 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:18 AM

I am looking to move beyond 750 GB solution, but haven't found the right one yet. I'd like a rack mount solution to put into my Mid Atlantic rack. Any ideas?

Quick glance: http://www.meritline...e-sata-bay.html :D

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#10 OFFLINE   HolmesCo

HolmesCo

Icon

• Registered
  • 730 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 11:31 AM

I am finding it adequate but still having to keep an eye on tihngs. My main problem is I don't have enuf time to watch all the movies I record! I also like the Charmed Series and have SLs for it, and currently have some 38 episodes LOL all in HD. And Las Vegas, I think I have about 10 or 12 episodes plus several HD movies

Nevertheless, I have not seen it go below 40% yet, but I can see I would be much happier with a 2TB raid, which I will probably do in time.

750 stores a heckuva lot, its more a matter of how much time you have to watch stuff so you can delete it.

Live Long and Prosper
HR24-100
Samsung HL-S5687W 56" DLP
HR22-100
Panasonic 50" CRT HD (one heavy dude!)
Slimline 5LNB Dish

#11 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 888 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:19 PM

From scanning/reading the threads here, lots of folks have had good results with the Seagate 750GB Freeagent Pro, and the price is very good as well.

But I was bouncing around Pricegrabber, and noticed the LaCie types, same external housing, all 'ready to go' so to speak (eSATA/USB). BUT, they have a 2TB unit; I searched around here and didn't find that anyone had tried them out (either that or any smaller models).

The price is 'not bad', although a bit more than the Seagate of course, but it's 2.6 times the size, and at $1150 or thereabouts, sounds like a good deal (certainly better than the Tenbox, which hasn't yet 'released' a 2TB model).

It would be nice, now that Seagate has had several models of it's 1TB drive out for a while now, that a 'new' Freeagent of 2TB size would surely be nice.

Since it appears that the HR20 has a possible/potential problem with sizes larger than 2TB, it might just be the ticket. And, if it doesn't 'work out', can be swung over to PC/MAC utilization.

#12 OFFLINE   waynenm

waynenm

I like this stuff.

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:42 PM

750gb on the FAP is really nice, and really easy. It's a great, affordable start. Easily comparable to an old school SD Tivo in terms of quantity of HD programs you can record vs. SD programs on an old Tivo. The eSata option is way less expensive, and always holds the additional ability to replace the drive with a larger one later. In short, don't agonize. Just do it!
\//
HR24-500 Native Off, 2TB internal Drive
HR22-100 Native Off, 2TB eSata External Drive
(WD20EVDS in an Antec MX-1)
HDMI Gefen 1:2 HDMI Splitter
LG BD-390 Blu-ray streaming Netflix
Hardwired Ethernet
Sony KDL-40V2500 + KLV-S23A10
Sirius/XM Radio all over the place
Harmony One

#13 OFFLINE   jeff125va

jeff125va

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll just stick with the 750GB for now. Even if I have to delete some duplicate recordings later on in the season, at least I won't have to guess about when I need to do it. I don't record a whole lot of movies, but I've used the internal drive for the few that I have. My To Do List is generally empty from Friday night until Sunday night, so switching back and forth isn't that much of a hassle. We're about 70% free on the two HR20's that have been in use since before the TV season started, and we have at least 2 episodes of just about every series link in the prioritizer.

#14 OFFLINE   raven56706

raven56706

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:54 AM

i have Star Wars Episode 1-3, Borat, Lethal Weapon 4, Chronicles of Narnia,and some sd shows... so far at 93%.......

i have to say, the shows i have on series link i watch and keep for 2 weeks(heroes, Smallville, Er, The Office)

#15 OFFLINE   SinBin

SinBin

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:08 PM

750 GB is definitely not big enough when you're recording a good amount of HD content. Even 1 TB isn't all that great. Would be kind of nice if the HR20 had a functioning USB input (like the Dish DVR) so we could easily use higher capacity external drives.

#16 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:30 PM

750 GB is definitely not big enough when you're recording a good amount of HD content. Even 1 TB isn't all that great. Would be kind of nice if the HR20 had a functioning USB input (like the Dish DVR) so we could easily use higher capacity external drives.

A 1TB drive would hold 230 hours of HD (MPEG4). I have no idea how you people find the time to watch so much TV. I'm lucky if I can keep up with the 8-10 SL's I have now. Basically, a 1TB drive would hold my entire SL list for a year.

#17 OFFLINE   jeff125va

jeff125va

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:46 PM

A 1TB drive would hold 230 hours of HD (MPEG4). I have no idea how you people find the time to watch so much TV. I'm lucky if I can keep up with the 8-10 SL's I have now. Basically, a 1TB drive would hold my entire SL list for a year.

Seriously. That's almost 10 days watching around the clock without sleeping. Or, more practically, over 5 weeks watching 6 hours per day.

This past year, we finished our series finales from May in early July. We probably watched on average less than 3 or 4 1-hour episodes per day and I guess we finished about 6 or 7 weeks behind. I would have preferred to get done sooner and watched more DVD's over the summer.

#18 OFFLINE   bt-rtp

bt-rtp

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:54 PM

The 750GB is a good size for my needs. I don't expect to use all of the capacity.
HR24-500 with AM21
HR21-200
HR20-700
HR20-100

spam firewall